Sugar free

Options
12346»

Replies

• lawanddean
    lawanddean Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One calorie equals one calorie just like one gallon of gas will yield the same BTU's as another gallon of gas from the same storage tank. Therefore the mileage of all cars that burn gas from the same source are equal. :)

• lawanddean
    Options
    Agree :)
  • lawanddean
    Options
    One calorie actually does equal 1 calorie. There's no doubt scientifically. The reason why many people fall for low sugar or low carb diets is because initially you will notice a reduction in weight and waist size due to the loss of water. Carb molecules bind 4 molecules of water etc. Cutting very ow on any essential macros (fat, protein,carbs, sugar etc.) isn't something to promote to people that are serious about being healthy or seriously overweight and looking to become healthy. Too many calories and too little burn (activity) = fat gain. On the other hand if you are already normal weighted and have some extra fat to lose, yes, cutting out sugar or carbs will make you shrink quick and feel happy! It's not a fit and healthy approach though. From your profile pic you don't appear to be on the fat side. I haven't looked up,your stats but if you aren't overweight Maybe you should rethink your weight loss journey altogether and instead just go to the gym and get in shape.

• lawanddean
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply, my weight loss aim was from having twins 12 months ago where I put on 4 stone, I've managed to loss most of it from been active and eating healthy but was about half a stone away from goal and it wouldn't shift. So watched a few documentaries about eating heathy and they said cut out added sugar which I've done and has worked. I'm new to cutting out added sugar it's now only been about 2 weeks but the half a stone has gone, belly is flat and I'm never tired even though I'm up at 5am every day with my babies. Just wondered what people thought as it is interesting to hear people's thoughts on this, I take everything on board and appreciate the responses
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @lawanddean press quote, and then type your reply underneath the quote.... In the same box/reply :smile:

• lawanddean
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @lawanddean press quote, and then type your reply underneath the quote.... In the same box/reply :smile:

Oh thanks that makes more sense :)
  • lawanddean
    Options
    lawanddean wrote: »

Oh thanks, that makes more sense :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One calorie equals one calorie just like one gallon of gas will yield the same BTU's as another gallon of gas from the same storage tank. Therefore the mileage of all cars that burn gas from the same source are equal. :)
    That is a terrible analogy. Motors from different cars are different in size. That is like comparing someone who is 300 lbs vs 120 lbs. Of course the 300 lb person is going to burn more gas. It has nothing to do with 93 octane vs 87 octane. And on top of that if you compare the same car, the the gas is going to be equivalent based on ones driving style.. again the one who is more active or drives harder will burn more gas.

And honestly, if you are going to compare types of fuel sugar, especially dextrose, would burn the cleanest and fastest. Its the quickest source of fuel one can have. In fact, all carbs would be considered more effective than fats since they are primary sources of fuel. So you would have to compare fats to secondary fuel tanks because you would have to wait until your tanks burn glycogen (primary) and wait for your body to switch to secondary (fats)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    lawanddean wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your reply, my weight loss aim was from having twins 12 months ago where I put on 4 stone, I've managed to loss most of it from been active and eating healthy but was about half a stone away from goal and it wouldn't shift. So watched a few documentaries about eating heathy and they said cut out added sugar which I've done and has worked. I'm new to cutting out added sugar it's now only been about 2 weeks but the half a stone has gone, belly is flat and I'm never tired even though I'm up at 5am every day with my babies. Just wondered what people thought as it is interesting to hear people's thoughts on this, I take everything on board and appreciate the responses

I hate to break it to you, but 99% of health 'documentaries' are complete and utter woo. Broscience. Usually no scientific studies to back up what they say.
    You lost the half stone because you were eating less calories, not because you cut out added sugar.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    And honestly, if you are going to compare types of fuel sugar, especially dextrose, would burn the cleanest and fastest. Its the quickest source of fuel one can have. In fact, all carbs would be considered more effective than fats since they are primary sources of fuel. So you would have to compare fats to secondary fuel tanks because you would have to wait until your tanks burn glycogen (primary) and wait for your body to switch to secondary (fats)

You burn both most of the time, especially at rest. If you eat dextrose it requires no digestion and can be used directly, but other than that I'm not sure how one defines clean or fast burning.

If exercise only draws on glycogen it's futile for weight loss unless you exhaust the supply to get to the fat.