Weetabix... how do you eat it?

Options

Replies

• pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    either banana ones with cold milk, or plain Weetabix with butter (no milk!)
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    I used to pour hot water on it as a kid, drain it off and then add a ton of sugar. I'd probably add the water still, skip the sugar, and have it with some berries. I forgot how much I enjoy Weetabix!

Like this minus the sugar. Or break them apart and add milk and a little brown sugar.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Two Weetabix with enough cold milk to make the biscuits mushy, plus so much sugar that the entire thing was sparkly and crunchy! That was my daily summertime breakfast while I was growing up. Winter was Ready Brek with hot milk and just as much sugar!

BTW I was a thin kid.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I put just enough milk to half-soften them, then add greek yoghurt and fruit/dried fruit on top. Nom nom.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    As soon as they absorb the milk I cannot tolerate the texture without gagging.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I always used to be like that with them. I only got over my fear of soggy weetabix quite recently when I was pregnant with my eldest and addicted to the stuff.

I still prefer them with yogurt poured over them rather than milk. Milk is too wet. I love the syrup ones best with toffee yogurt on them.
    Carnhot wrote: »
    As soon as they absorb the milk I cannot tolerate the texture without gagging.

Can't believe that people can cut them in half. I can't get mine out of the packet without them disintegrating!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try with Greek yogurt next time I think!
  • Mummy2b21
    Mummy2b21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always pour milk over them put in the microwave for 1 minute and then add sugar. As a kid that's the only way I knew and when I saw my father eat weetabix with cold milk it totally blew my mind he was eating it cold lol
  • dominiquerose5
    dominiquerose5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have mine with warm milk and flavoured syrups or protein powder! mush it all together and it tastes like a dream! :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok I found my favorite way... Dry with some Greek yogurt on it (been using Oikos triple zero, going to stock up on Petite Creme from Stonyfield for that purpose now). So good, and pretty filling, all things considered.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I used to eat it soaked with milk as a kid... found out there are a lot of more creative ways to eat it... I bought a box today - what do you suggest I try?

I don't eat them, but my son is a soaker. Hot and cold, depending on his mood when he wakes up. I've heard they are good with yogurt and berries.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Funny ... I just had some now. After not touching them for months.

3 Weatbix (they are only tiny ... 58 cal each) + 1 cup of low cal almond milk + a squirt of low cal maple syrup.

They were OK. I could have probably gone for 4 or 5 to be filling, but OK.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

3 Weatbix (they are only tiny ... 58 cal each) + 1 cup of low cal almond milk + a squirt of low cal maple syrup.

Yeah with the yogurt they fill me up for 2 hours or so, lol (that's with the fiber yogurt too).
  • Machka9
    Options

Yeah with the yogurt they fill me up for 2 hours or so, lol (that's with the fiber yogurt too).

I actually did debate about adding yogurt ... maybe next time. :)

BTW - that's 58 cal for the Australian variety, I don't know if North American ones are different? From the photo early on in this thread, they look a whole lot more substantial. I went to pick one up, and it entirely crumbled. You've got to be really gentle with these Australian ones or all you've got are crumbs.

• Francl27
    Options

BTW - that's 58 cal for the Australian variety, I don't know if North American ones are different? From the photo early on in this thread, they look a whole lot more substantial. I went to pick one up, and it entirely crumbled. You've got to be really gentle with these Australian ones or all you've got are crumbs.

No it's the same amount of calories here, but mine stay together pretty well as long as I don't try to squish them. I don't even use milk, just yogurt, so they stay crunchy.
  • Machka9
    Options

No it's the same amount of calories here, but mine stay together pretty well as long as I don't try to squish them. I don't even use milk, just yogurt, so they stay crunchy.

I might try that.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That's 58 cal for the Australian variety, I don't know if North American ones are different? From the photo early on in this thread, they look a whole lot more substantial. I went to pick one up, and it entirely crumbled. You've got to be really gentle with these Australian ones or all you've got are crumbs.

Thanks to this thread, I bought a box. They're 65 calories each, and sturdy: whole wheat, barley malt extract, cane sugar, salt, iron, niacin, thiamin hydrochloride (B1). 2g each protein & fiber: http://weetabixusa.com

Edited to add I'm unexpectedly out of milk, so I ate it like a piece of toast. It dropped crumbs with every bite, but stayed in one piece.
  • Francl27
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    That's 58 cal for the Australian variety, I don't know if North American ones are different? From the photo early on in this thread, they look a whole lot more substantial. I went to pick one up, and it entirely crumbled. You've got to be really gentle with these Australian ones or all you've got are crumbs.

Thanks to this thread, I bought a box. They're 65 calories each, and sturdy: whole wheat, barley malt extract, cane sugar, salt, iron, niacin, thiamin hydrochloride (B1). 4g each protein & fiber.

The US website has recipes for putting them in baked goods, coating fish or chicken, or topping apple crisp: http://weetabixusa.com

Thanks for the recipes! Will have a look.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I'm telling ya woman... Go 6 or go home :tongue:

I don't know if I mentioned it, but my 5" nothing 75 year old skinny little mum has 6 every morning, has done for years.

And yeah, the American version looks a lot more dense than our crumbly ones.

• Machka9
    edited August 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Thanks to this thread, I bought a box. They're 65 calories each, and sturdy: whole wheat, barley malt extract, cane sugar, salt, iron, niacin, thiamin hydrochloride (B1). 2g each protein & fiber: http://weetabixusa.com

Edited to add I'm unexpectedly out of milk, so I ate it like a piece of toast. It dropped crumbs with every bite, but stayed in one piece.

Ours are as though you got a bunch of bran flakes and pressed them together while they were wet. Then when they dry, and you go to pick them up, flakes drop off everywhere. Ours are flaky.

They look like this ... and those are maybe 10 cm long.

Weet-bix.jpg