I'm feeling down and wanting to Quit

Options
13»

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    OP, do you think that you would be able to keep yourself off of the scale for a week or two while you focus on tightening up your logging?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    how much working out should i do to lose 2 pounds a week? will jumping roping and walking 2-3 miles 6 days a week be enough to lose 2 pounds a week?

You are looking at it the wrong way. Get your food consumption and deficit accurate and under control first.
    If you exercise, then realise it takes a lot to burn significant acount of calories. Not impossible but it takes a lot.

Very rough guess but lest say walking burns 300 cals an hour and you walk 40 mins for those 2 miles, thats 200 cals per day x6=1200 calories burned and you need to burn 3500 cals to lose 1lb. It helps, but exercise alone at that rate wont result in that loss of 2lb a week its not enough. Its importnat to get it into perspective.

Dont panic, be patient and take the good advice am sure has already been given. Exercise can help, but as with all weight loss its about consistency and being at deficit.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Im sure they have all told you, but you sound confused its just a case of adopting behaviour that puts you at a deficit consitently. When its not working then you should first look at improvements including weighing and logging your food. That comes first. Get the deficit and then over time you will lose.

Be patient and realistic plus dont overdo the exercise. Slow and steady till you build up. Going off too fast leads to burnout and frustration.

I am confused with all of this but i get what i need to do I am going to weigh all my food and take it 1 day at a time

Thats a start dont panic its a learning process. Do what all the successful weight losers have done, they all have things in common and those good habits are what people are trying to get you to adopt. Start with http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

You can lose all your weight in 2 years at 1lb a week. Get the idea in your head it will take some time, but think what a change it will make for you. Good luck, learn as much as you can.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You do sound confused; I think you are making it much more complicated than it is. If you are like many of us, you've probably heard a million diet "theories" (some of them sound, some of them just plain crap) in your life. They're probably all swirling around in your head right now.

It all boils down to calories in, calories out. Eat less than you burn.

Take a deep breath. Get that scale. Weigh your food on it. Measure your liquids in measuring cups. Log everything honestly.

Seriously....that's it.
  • michelleselmon
    michelleselmon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    OP, do you think that you would be able to keep yourself off of the scale for a week or two while you focus on tightening up your logging?

Yes i will keep myself off the scale till i get the food scale and start weighing my food thanks again
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    You do sound confused; I think you are making it much more complicated than it is. If you are like many of us, you've probably heard a million diet "theories" (some of them sound, some of them just plain crap) in your life. They're probably all swirling around in your head right now.

It all boils down to calories in, calories out. Eat less than you burn.

Take a deep breath. Get that scale. Weigh your food on it. Measure your liquids in measuring cups. Log everything honestly.

Seriously....that's it.

I get it i will take the Advice and use it thanks so much :)
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is not 1700-1800. I have 50-100% more lean muscle mass than you and my BMR is 1850-1900. Your base calculations are off and need to lower calories.
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    ibnfaqir wrote: »
    Your BMR is not 1700-1800. I have 50-100% more lean muscle mass than you and my BMR is 1850-1900. Your base calculations are off and need to lower calories.

I have looked my BMR up on Several BMR Calculator's and that's what it says
    here are my Stats Female 23 years old 5'3 That's where i got the calculation was on the websites
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes. It can get discouraging.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ibnfaqir wrote: »

I have looked my BMR up on Several BMR Calculator's and that's what it says
    here are my Stats Female 23 years old 5'3 That's where i got the calculation was on the websites

Are you sure you calculated BMR, rather than TDEE. BMR is unimportant. Just use the calories number MFP gives you. As others have said, you are making this way too complicated. Eat at a deficit. Eat a reasonable variety of foods. Weight will come of in a healthful manner.
  • 999tigger
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OP how much do you weigh. I cant see it on the thread or your profile. Just find out what your maintenance is.
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    OP how much do you weigh. I cant see it on the thread or your profile. Just find out what your maintenance is.

223 pounds
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You don't *have* to exercise to lose weight, but exercising gives you more wiggle room in your calorie count. The caloric deficit is what matters. Exercise is mostly for fitness and to help with medical issues.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    how much working out should i do to lose 2 pounds a week? will jumping roping and walking 2-3 miles 6 days a week be enough to lose 2 pounds a week?

I think this sounds a little aggressive right out of the gate, especially in light of your feeling worn out after walking to the park.

Exercise will come in time; start with weighing your food and staying under your calorie goal. Eat food that you enjoy! Give it some time before facing the scale. Success will happen for you - but try not to over-complicate it or rush it.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Michelle,

Weight-loss isn't linear. I can go up and down pounds from one day to the next, but it's not fat, it's water weight/retention/a big dinner. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It took time for the weight to go on, it'll take time for it to come off. Though I totally get the urge to rush, because once you want it gone, you want it GONE, but it's not going to work that way. Slow and steady will win the race.

As for going below your BMR ... Think about BMR ... Basic Metabolic Rate. What your body needs minimally to function. Why would you go below that deliberately by 500-600 calories a day? Would you go scuba diving without enough oxygen? Same thing.

Please don't compare yourself to anyone else. You need to do what's right for your body. From what you posted, your husband is not losing weight in a safe or sustainable manner. Everyone's body is different, that's why the numbers vary so greatly from person to person. It takes time and patience to figure out what will work best for you.

Try not to get so fixated on losing two pounds per week, or reaching some magic goal weight. This is the only body you've got, please treat it right! For starters, try setting MFP to lose 1 pound per week (the general idea is to lose .5 pounds/week for every 25 pounds you need to lose). Take measurements, that will be another way to track your progress! Keep walking a little. It will get better. And easier. I run now. And I always swore I would only run if I was being chased. :smiley:
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How many carbs should i be eating a day? I somehow go over on my carbs and sugar every day and i am eating healthy

Honestly, I don't get too concerned with my macros. I focus more on my caloric intake. Almost 40 lbs gone.

But what do I know?

Ive lost 108 and have paid zero attention to macros. I only have about 15# to go And have no intention of ever minding them. If its fits in my calories Its fair game.

OP start weigjing your food. I have successfully lost all this weight eating around 1800 calories, But I weigh everything.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can set your calories for zero or for a million. If you're not weighing your food, it won't matter.

Again: input your stats into MFP. Go with the numbers they give you. Then: WEIGH ALL YOUR FOOD AND LOG IT HONESTLY.

That's it.

I will take your Advice and use it thanks so much for everything you truly have helped me understand I am going to get a food scale as soon as i get paid thanks again :)

I didn't realize that you didn't have a food scale; I thought you just weren't weighing.

Definitely get one as soon as you are able. They are quite affordable. You can get one in Walmart for under $20. Make sure it's digital, weighs in both ounces and grams, and has a "tare" function (allowing you to rest the scale to zero).

Good luck!

ok so the only thing i need to use measuring cups for is Solids correct? everyone says not to use measuring cups their Inaccurate

No! Use the scale for solids, measuring cups for liquids.

As to your other comment about not eating late: it doesn't matter when you eat. People have ideas that you shouldn't eat after 6pm or 7 or 8...but it truly doesn't matter. In many other countries (that don't have the obesity problem we have in the US), dinner isn't until 8 or even 9 at night.

It's the quantity, not the time.

Adding that I also work 3rd shift and Sleep only 2-3 hours 5 days a week and eat essentially around the clock and has not made any difference in how I lose weight.
  • 999tigger
    Options
    How many carbs should i be eating a day? I somehow go over on my carbs and sugar every day and i am eating healthy

Honestly, I don't get too concerned with my macros. I focus more on my caloric intake. Almost 40 lbs gone.

But what do I know?

Ive lost 108 and have paid zero attention to macros. I only have about 15# to go And have no intention of ever minding them. If its fits in my calories Its fair game.

OP start weigjing your food. I have successfully lost all this weight eating around 1800 calories, But I weigh everything.

Macros are more for nutrition though so if that doesnt bother you then only paying attention to your deficit is fine. If you lift you wnat min protein or if you are dong a particular low carb diet then they are relevant.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

But what do I know?

Macros are more for nutrition though so if that doesnt bother you then only paying attention to your deficit is fine. If you lift you wnat min protein or if you are dong a particular low carb diet then they are relevant.

Basically even if you're not targeting a specific percentage for each macro, if you eat a varied diet, chances are you're getting enough _____. Especially with a cool # like 1800. That's one of the potential issues with consuming too few calories, it can be hard to get enough macro and micro nutrients from your diet :)
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    I just want to thank all you wonderful people for all the Great help and Advice i feel so much better from all the help I will most Deff get a food Scale as soon as possible and start out easy on the Exercise Thanks again :)