Does just immigrating to the USA lead to weight gain?

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    So true Tomatoey, transportation isn't always a choice. So glad I live in a small city, with a transportation system that has improved over the past 40 years.

Cheers, h.

Lately, I'm thinking that sort of setup sounds really, really good...
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    portion sizes, processed foods,… if we go back to just eating fruits and vegetables and cut out processed foods, we'd be good. it's hard tho'. fresh produce is more costly than processed foods and the government doesn't help by subsidizing the corn (corn syrup, fructose….) industry… and a lot of the fast foods use the processed corn products to make their foods tasty and made cheaply cause the government subsidizes it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm going with American portion sizes, they are huge... plus take away stores on just about every corner. And it's cheap!!!

For example, our LARGE big mac et al meals is the small size in American McDonalds. And once again your food is a lot cheaper and and more easily accessible than here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also, is it true that places like New York have hotdog, pretzel and peanut stands everywhere on the sidewalks?
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Also, is it true that places like New York have hotdog, pretzel and peanut stands everywhere on the sidewalks?

I've only visited New York a few times, but IIRC, those stands are mostly in the touristy places (which really is most of that city, I guess - but I didn't see them everywhere). Where I live, same thing, usually on the busy main streets, and around sports centres.

But street meat is a worldwide phenomenon (and usually delicious) - most places have some person in a cart or truck selling some kind of grilled or fried meat.

(I've been thinking I would like more cheap & accessible grilled meat options, everywhere I go.)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    But staying in a country and visiting a country are two different things. Whenever I vacation(I'm a foodie) I have to try the local fair. I do draw the line with organ meats, however. :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    portion sizes, processed foods,… if we go back to just eating fruits and vegetables and cut out processed foods, we'd be good. it's hard tho'. fresh produce is more costly than processed foods and the government doesn't help by subsidizing the corn (corn syrup, fructose….) industry… and a lot of the fast foods use the processed corn products to make their foods tasty and made cheaply cause the government subsidizes it.

Again it is all about calories in versus calories out
    Not good or bad foods

I always ate pretty "healthy" i like to call it balanced

But like pointed out before...normal diary here in the US has MORE calories than in Europe/Holland
    A glass of milk a bowl with yogurt etc...same amount but more calories... So easy to step into that mistake. It is not only the junk food!

And after all you always have to stay counting. I also agree that there is a big difference of being on a holiday ( when you are more active) and living in the US.

• xena80s
    xena80s Posts: 18 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When I went to Italy and Greece on vacation I lost weight. Perhaps I should go back to Italy :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The weird thing when you visit the USA is the portion sizes

You start off by laughing at them, stunned almost at the amount of food someone has put in front of you on a single plate

Then you understand why you guys do doggy bags which just aren't the norm in other countries

But then after a few days you start to adjust, and by about a week in you're easily finishing your plate

And you have so many high fat foods, everything comes with fries it seems
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I moved to the U.S. from Nigeria 17 years ago. Although I don't remember much in between meal snacking, im going with the activity on this one. I remember thick slices of bread with yummy butter spread, heaping plates of rice. But... In the small town I grew up in, you had to walk like a half mile to catch a cab, and you'd do that walk and back a couple times a day if you wanted to go anywhere. Even the little shack for buying sweets was like a quarter mile away and your parents were sure as hell not buying that crap for you all the time, so. And if you're male, it seemed everybody played freakin soccer. I'm also randomly remembering that we had a washing machine for a while, but then it broke. All that stuff is done by hand by most people. Yay

Young teenagers having cars was really quite shocking to me. At the time, you had to be the son of a king to just randomly have your own car. Matter of fact, I don't remember anybody that did

The good news is most people I can think of my age are quite thin, but I've heard enough snippets of what they do to get more activity to know that it's no accident :)

Coming to think of it, though, there was maybe one fast food restaurant that I'd heard of just before leaving (by then I'd moved to a huge city for school). But I sure as hell wasn't going to get run over by those crazy buses just trying to get there. And it was probably -really- expensive
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    NM- so nosy! Sorry.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    LOL. Will PM you
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did a student exchange to North Carolina a few years ago from Australia and expected to put on weight from all the dining hall food but actually ended up losing a small amount of weight. I didn't have access to a car so I had to walk or take public transport everywhere, whereas back then I didn't walk anywhere at home. My diet changed for the worse though, I literally ate two servings every meal. Sugary cereal and pancakes/eggs/donuts etc for breakfast, then at lunch and dinner I'd load up my plate with all the different vegetarian options plus sides, and ate cake/ice cream/dessert after both. Oh and I'd often go to the on-campus equivalent of Starbucks and get some sort of sugary drink (the soy chai milkshake was to die for). I'd say over time I did slowly cut back on how much I was eating, once I got over the initial shock of being able to eat all the foods. I'm heading back to the US in October for a holiday and although I won't be logging, I don't really expect to gain that much weight. I simply can't eat that much food anymore, nor can I eat a lot of fried/sugary foods without feeling sick.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options

New Yorker and native Brooklynite: no, not on every corner, though there's a generous smattering, and also Halal and other types of food stands. Nice fresh fruit stands, too. We also have restaurants of all types, so there's no shortage of food around this way!

But the great thing about NYC is that it's extremely walkable, and there's always someplace to walk to: every Tuesday after work, I walk from midtown to the West Village, around 2.25 miles, for a class; and morning and evening, I walk different routes for the bus or train. Also, the typical New Yorker walks at a nice, fast clip, which gets your heart going - especially when internally cursing everyone else on the street who isn't walking at a nice, fast NY clip....

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyforwife.com/what-is-the-solution-to-obesity/

"Fast food used to be rare, now it’s not just everywhere; it’s been super sized.

"But there’s more to the situation than abundance and inactivity. The truth is, there’s no one cause for people being overweight. Some shout, “It’s all carbs’ fault!” but sorry, that ain’t why we’re fat. The root causes of overweight and obesity are as diverse as the people carrying those extra pounds. It’s only the charlatans who will point out a universal cause and say, “This is why you’re fat.”

"Long work hours spent in a chair,
    high stress levels,
    overuse of screen-based entertainment,
    lack of cooking skills,
    lack of desire to cook after a long day,
    the ability to hit a drive-through or dial for delivery at any time of day,
    emotional trauma,
    misinformation promoted by the weight loss industry,
    gigantic portions,
    government subsidies to fattening foods,
    food marketing run amok (much of which specifically targets children),
    ever tastier concoctions created by brain scientists working for food corporations that makes their treat foods ever more compelling,
    a society that places emphasis on eating for pleasure instead of fuelling your body
    … all these things just scratch the surface."

(Read the article for an equally impressive list of solutions to the problems. I love this guy.)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    http://www.bodyforwife.com/what-is-the-solution-to-obesity/

"Fast food used to be rare, now it’s not just everywhere; it’s been super sized.

"But there’s more to the situation than abundance and inactivity. The truth is, there’s no one cause for people being overweight. Some shout, “It’s all carbs’ fault!” but sorry, that ain’t why we’re fat. The root causes of overweight and obesity are as diverse as the people carrying those extra pounds. It’s only the charlatans who will point out a universal cause and say, “This is why you’re fat.”

"Long work hours spent in a chair,
    high stress levels,
    overuse of screen-based entertainment,
    lack of cooking skills,
    lack of desire to cook after a long day,
    the ability to hit a drive-through or dial for delivery at any time of day,
    emotional trauma,
    misinformation promoted by the weight loss industry,
    gigantic portions,
    government subsidies to fattening foods,
    food marketing run amok (much of which specifically targets children),
    ever tastier concoctions created by brain scientists working for food corporations that makes their treat foods ever more compelling,
    a society that places emphasis on eating for pleasure instead of fuelling your body
    … all these things just scratch the surface."

(Read the article for an equally impressive list of solutions to the problems. I love this guy.)

My favourite line..."the weight loss industry is so full of crap its eyes are brown".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    The weight loss industry's goal is to have you lose weight TEMPORARILY on whatever program you choose. Yeah, yeah, there are "testimonies" of people who succeed, but like all plans the success rate is about 10%. That means 90% fail on the same program. If someone loses say 7-10lbs on a plan in a week or two, the first thought is "this really works!!". As it drags on and less is lost (or even stalled), the user blames themselves and gives up and thinks "if only I could have stuck with it". Fast forward a few months to a year later and boom, "I'm ready to lose again. Time to use ___________, since it worked the last time".
    We've all been there. And of course if you're in the US, there's nothing more comforting than some high calorie foods to help bring a smile on your face.
    I don't blame the companies for doing this. Profit is the number point of any company. Is it sleazy on how they do it? Yeah, but makers, manufacturers, distributors, etc. of ANY product do something sleazy on some level to sell it. The only difference is that FOOD is needed to survive, so the industry plays off of that by encouraging pleasure to eat it at the same time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »

Again it is all about calories in versus calories out
    Not good or bad foods

I always ate pretty "healthy" i like to call it balanced

But like pointed out before...normal diary here in the US has MORE calories than in Europe/Holland
    A glass of milk a bowl with yogurt etc...same amount but more calories... So easy to step into that mistake. It is not only the junk food!

And after all you always have to stay counting. I also agree that there is a big difference of being on a holiday ( when you are more active) and living in the US.

Yogurts! I remember yogurt/pudding cups in France. They're typically tiny compared to what we have here.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    The weird thing when you visit the USA is the portion sizes

You start off by laughing at them, stunned almost at the amount of food someone has put in front of you on a single plate

Then you understand why you guys do doggy bags which just aren't the norm in other countries

But then after a few days you start to adjust, and by about a week in you're easily finishing your plate

And you have so many high fat foods, everything comes with fries it seems

THIS. And the fries, it makes it so frustrating to eat out sometimes (when you're lucky you can substitute a side salad, but often you have to pay extra). In France when I ordered a sandwich, it didn't come with anything else. Sure, you don't have to eat the fries, but it's free, and it's in front of you... so people eat them. I mean in Paris I ate out all the time and I had fries maybe once or twice a month...

The biggest shocker for me was when I went to seafood restaurants here. Everything fried. I just couldn't get over it. We never fry seafood in France. I still can't do fried seafood. Heck even at Chinese places, my go-to in France was sweet and sour chicken, which was pieces of chicken, onions, peppers, and pineapple with some sauce... Imagine my surprise when I ordered it here and it was big pieces of battered/fried chickens with a dip. Ugh.

Obviously though people in cities are less likely to be overweight because of all the walking anyway.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I moved from the US to the Netherlands 21 years ago. My lifestyle here is much more active and, maybe not so much nowadays, but when I first came here there just wasn't a lot of crap to eat. We had like 4 cereals in the supermarket and maybe 4 types of potato chips. There were McDonald's and Burger King but no other real fast food chains (and if there were, they didn't make it here - examples: Dunkin Donuts and Applebee's, all gone).

In the US there is an abundance of food, fast food, convenience packaging and it's all about value for money. We get in our cars, go through the drive-thrus, eat on the go often. the portion sizes are ridiculous. People drive EVERYWHERE. Only a few cities/ states have a bicycle culture and even then the car is still the holy grail over a bike any day. Of course I never really understood this or was impacted until I moved away.

I miss food from home, I miss the variety but every time I go to the US for vacation even I gain 5 - 10 lbs. If I ever move back, there will probably be some weight gain involved. Some of my expat friends who've gone back have definitely put on weight since returning!