This Ain't working, help

Options
Hi Guys,

I am 37, weight 97kgs, 173cms. I have large frame and fairly muscly. Weighing machine says I have 20-24% body fat and I am trying to get down to 10%.

I started this program on the 7th of July and it has been month and half. I keep my calorie intake under 1900 most days and exercise 2-3 times a week. I run for 35 minutes and ride my bike for 2 hours on the weekends. Workout range from 700cal - 1500cal. Average 650 cal per workout.

I had a few days in the middle of gap due to issues in the family but I got back into it again. The first few weeks I lost about 3 kgs but then it has gone up 1.5kg and I cannot seem to work out why. The app says I should have lost 5 kgs by now but that ain't the fact. My eating portions have reduced which is great news, but weight lost ain't happening. My waist and hips are not reducing either. This is the 8th week.

Has anyone gone through this before? Am I missing something here? I have tried a lot of diets without much positive results. The moment I go back to my normal diet, the weight slowly creaps back in. I thought this was a sensible and practical way to burn calories and keept it. But something is not working. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    it actually does seem to be working. 3 kg is a huge amount to lose in a few weeks. You said yourself you missed a few days, which would account for some increase.

The standard advice is to make sure that you are weighing your food and tracking calories accurately. You could be eating more than you realize.

Be diligent about weighing and tracking your food and above all be patient! Good luck to you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Weigh and record your weight once a week, but do not pay much attention to the number. One week down, the next week the same, and down two pounds the next week.
  • idrinkalotofwater
    idrinkalotofwater Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat less?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    2b9r4l76d832.jpg
  • crazycbrrider
    crazycbrrider Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. I missed out on 2days and then 3 days in late July. But then got back on it for the last 3 weeks. Weight seems to have gone up rather than down.

1700 cal a day does not give me much food. I run around all day between clients and it makes me hungry as. Most days I carry Optislim powder with me as that is the only food that I can easily make in between clients for lunch. Breakfast is practically down tio 2-3 slices of wholemeal bread with lite Margarine or Low Sugar Jam. Do I have to starve myself now to keep the 1700 cal target?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    No you don't have to starve yourself, just find some lower/same calorie but more satisfying meals. I find 100 calories of porridge way more satisfying than 100 calories of bread and even more satisfying than 100 calories of chocolate. It's not about how much food you eat, but what the calories of that food means.

Oh, and be aware of any "diet/slimming" shake powders, I have found they are often higher in calories but lower in macros than the normal brands.
  • crazycbrrider
    Options
    Thanks Rabbitjb. I landed in the red Circle. I think I need to measure my food more accurately.

Thanks KateTii. I hate porridge and anything that tastes bland. I wasn't a big fan of salads but now I eat them more and more. The problem with my job is I am on the move and cannot carry a packed lunch that needs to be kept warm / cool. My dinner is the biggest meal of the day so I try to work out before dinner to compensate. I'll keep hacking at it. I guess expecting 5kg loss in 8 weeks was a bit too much on my part.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I am 37, weight 97kgs, 173cms. I have large frame and fairly muscly. Weighing machine says I have 20-24% body fat and I am trying to get down to 10%.

I started this program on the 7th of July and it has been month and half. I keep my calorie intake under 1900 most days and exercise 2-3 times a week. I run for 35 minutes and ride my bike for 2 hours on the weekends. Workout range from 700cal - 1500cal. Average 650 cal per workout.

I had a few days in the middle of gap due to issues in the family but I got back into it again. The first few weeks I lost about 3 kgs but then it has gone up 1.5kg and I cannot seem to work out why. The app says I should have lost 5 kgs by now but that ain't the fact. My eating portions have reduced which is great news, but weight lost ain't happening. My waist and hips are not reducing either. This is the 8th week.

Has anyone gone through this before? Am I missing something here? I have tried a lot of diets without much positive results. The moment I go back to my normal diet, the weight slowly creaps back in. I thought this was a sensible and practical way to burn calories and keept it. But something is not working. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Help to me on also.?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10239936/i-am-tu-want-friend-pleas-add-thank-you#latest <3<3<3

Hinguys!
  • vronks53
    vronks53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try porridge with blueberries on. I have 30gms dry weight porridge made with water, then lots of blueberries very filling, and tasty.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    2b9r4l76d832.jpg

So small read. Help big more? Pls.thanks.you. :)<3<3<3
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lower your weight loss goals to 0.5 kilos a week so that you can eat.
    Eat more for breakfast:
    Porridge with nuts and fruit.
    Bread with ham, cheese, peanut butter, fried eggs, prepared food from yesterday.
    For lunches carry nuts and dried fruit and water or anything really.
  • Sued0nim
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. I missed out on 2days and then 3 days in late July. But then got back on it for the last 3 weeks. Weight seems to have gone up rather than down.

1700 cal a day does not give me much food. I run around all day between clients and it makes me hungry as. Most days I carry Optislim powder with me as that is the only food that I can easily make in between clients for lunch. Breakfast is practically down tio 2-3 slices of wholemeal bread with lite Margarine or Low Sugar Jam. Do I have to starve myself now to keep the 1700 cal target?

Your breakfast is what 3- 400 calories

Change it

Try eggs or 100g egg white scrambled with mushrooms and cheese (10g) over 1 piece of toast with 5g butter
    (Personally I also add a light cheese triangle and spinAch to my egg whites and loads of black pepper)
    Adding in my milk for coffee it's 250 cals

I bet you find it more filling
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe some more protein and/or fat with breakfast might help. I know I always feel better when I have some protein in the morning. It just seems to keep me going longer without being hungry.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    And beef jerky's a pretty good snack for during the day. You just have to watch out for the sodium content of some brands. But it's fairly low calorie and it's portable, no special treatment needed.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

The moment I go back to my normal diet, the weight slowly creaps back in.

^^ this is your problem, you have to change your way of thinking and that this isn't about being on a diet, its about making permanent changes..
  • crazycbrrider
    Options
    Some great suggestions. Thanks Guys.
  • crazycbrrider
    Options

^^ this is your problem, you have to change your way of thinking and that this isn't about being on a diet, its about making permanent changes..
    Hi RunRunTheeRun. Being Indian by origin, family diet for dinner is mostly curry / stirfy / Lentils with rice / roti followed by fruits / something sweet. If I have to change my diet forever, I guess I have to ask my family to do it as well ... I'll try asking tonight.... LOL
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Hi RunRunTheeRun. Being Indian by origin, family diet for dinner is mostly curry / stirfy / Lentils with rice / roti followed by fruits / something sweet. If I have to change my diet forever, I guess I have to ask my family to do it as well ... I'll try asking tonight.... LOL

If you are planning to go back to the way you ate before then why bother? I can guarantee you will get back the body you had before too
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

If you are planning to go back to the way you ate before then why bother? I can guarantee you will get back the body you had before too

Yep, unfortunately this is the truth, and the reason that a lot of people get caught in the cycle of losing-gaining-losing. You really need to make this a lifestyle change and develop habits that you can continue with for the rest of your life, because if you just go straight back to your old habits, you will as Rabbitjb said, get the old body back too.

It can be difficult when living with other people whom you share meals with; you watching what you eat is no reason for them to be doing it also, and if they are quite happy with the way they eat you may meet some resistance. You need to take control of your own weight loss without expecting everyone to go along with you, otherwise you will just be giving yourself excuses to fail. You can still make those things healthier for you, go easy on the rice and sauces, smaller portions, leave the majority of your calories for the evening, etc. Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

I LOVE Indian food, so I would have to say I am jealous of all the lovely meals that you eat day in day out :-D but that aside, yes I get it, its not going to be easy, make small changes is what I would encourage, cut out some of the breads, try and choose the better options etc - it can be done no matter what your culture/what you eat. Its not what we eat, its how MUCH - keep portion sizes smaller, move more and you will start losing :smile: