Vegan diet?

Options

Replies

• clynnrychly
    clynnrychly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I should add that I'm already vegetarian so the change wasn't a stretch for me
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegan isn't JUST an ethical/moral view point. I have a co-worker that had a heart attack and his doctor put him on a super strict vegan diet because of it. So health reasons are a valid reason for being vegan.

Your friend is on a plant-based diet. Vegans avoid animal exploitation in all forms when possible -- including leather, fur, beeswax in candles, animal entertainments, silk, wool, etc.
  • Fandabie89
    Fandabie89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten meat or dairy all week I know it sounds pathetic but I am proud of myself
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Vegan diet is a moral/ethical stance...it takes a whole lot of knowledge and effort to make it a healthy nutritious diet for a human. Make sure you are getting all your requisite nutritional intake..check the vegan society for guidelines

Lots of vegans do have a moral/ethical stance but many, including myself are in it for the health benefits. I personally don't object to animals being killed for meat if animal farming is humane. So even though my diet is vegan, I just prefer to call it plant-based. I've only been doing it for 2 months now and have lost 10 lbs, currently at 127. When I was 152, it took me nearly 4 months to lose the first 15 lbs so yes, a plant-based diet has accelerated my weight loss. But the bottom line is still that weight loss is down to calories in/out.

And no, it doesn't take a 'whole lot of knowledge and effort to make it nutritious'. How absurd is that? How complicated is eating potatoes, beans, lentils, oatmeal, quinoa, rice, other whole grains, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds etc. And who doesn't know how to find the nutritional value of different foods? Come on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fandabie89 wrote: »
    I haven't eaten meat or dairy all week I know it sounds pathetic but I am proud of myself

Yup
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It actually doesn't take any extra time to be vegan. If anything, it takes less time, we don't have to wait for meat to cook. :-)

I am vegan but not for weight loss. I gained weight by not eating right. There aren't really many low calorie vegan snacks (well I like popcorn lol).

But it does mean you can't have a lot of unhealthy things! Like red meat, dairy, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Vegan diet is a moral/ethical stance...it takes a whole lot of knowledge and effort to make it a healthy nutritious diet for a human. Make sure you are getting all your requisite nutritional intake..check the vegan society for guidelines

Lots of vegans do have a moral/ethical stance but many, including myself are in it for the health benefits. I personally don't object to animals being killed for meat if animal farming is humane. So even though my diet is vegan, I just prefer to call it plant-based. I've only been doing it for 2 months now and have lost 10 lbs, currently at 127. When I was 152, it took me nearly 4 months to lose the first 15 lbs so yes, a plant-based diet has accelerated my weight loss. But the bottom line is still that weight loss is down to calories in/out.

And no, it doesn't take a 'whole lot of knowledge and effort to make it nutritious'. How absurd is that? How complicated is eating potatoes, beans, lentils, oatmeal, quinoa, rice, other whole grains, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds etc. And who doesn't know how to find the nutritional value of different foods? Come on.

Veganism IS the practice stemming from ethical objection to unnecessary animal exploitation and suffering. If one is simply avoiding animal products in food, that is a plant-based diet.
  • Nasoya
    Nasoya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight if you carefully follow a healthy plant based diet. You will also gain health benefits that you will be extremely happy about =). Veganism is a way of life , it's for sure not about food only. I am vegan for the animals, not myself.
  • Nasoya
    Nasoya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agreed Jane!! It's a huge disconnect for plant based dieters to realize if they aren't doing it for moral /ethical reasons, they are not VEGAN, they are plant based.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Umm, you aren't a vegan.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    When I lost the bulk of my weight, I went vegan (or exclusively plant-based) just to learn new recipes and such and keep from being bored eating the same things. I would not recommend such a restrictive way of eating if the goal is "health" or "weight loss" for more than 12 weeks or so. Unless you do the research to get your nutrients. It didn't work for "health" for me, but we're all different. Doctor's orders: "Unless you're doing this for ethical reasons, you [meaning me] must have chicken or fish twice a week" because my blood work was *kitten* after a year.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    When I lost the bulk of my weight, I went vegan (or exclusively plant-based) just to learn new recipes and such and keep from being bored eating the same things. I would not recommend such a restrictive way of eating if the goal is "health" or "weight loss" for more than 12 weeks or so. Unless you do the research to get your nutrients. It didn't work for "health" for me, but we're all different. Doctor's orders: "Unless you're doing this for ethical reasons, you [meaning me] must have chicken or fish twice a week" because my blood work was *kitten* after a year.

Out of curiosity, did you ask what he would have recommended you do if you were avoiding meat for ethical reasons?
  • WBB55
    Options

Out of curiosity, did you ask what he would have recommended you do if you were avoiding meat for ethical reasons?

She said she would have prescribed me "fancy supplements." I remember the conversation very clearly!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

She said she would have prescribed me "fancy supplements." I remember the conversation very clearly!

For some reason, "fancy supplements" make me picture something you take with a pinky extended! :)
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A vegan diet is not always a healthier diet.

Also, a vegan diet can be time consuming. It is eating no animal products or by-products at all. No jello, no marshmallows, no to most chocolates, and no to the majority of processed foods. It can be hard to cut out all the hidden animal products. Most vegans also won't eating things made with bugs... a lot of waxes on food, and food colouring comes from .. yup.. ground up bugs.
  • WBB55
    Options

For some reason, "fancy supplements" make me picture something you take with a pinky extended! :)

I've been seeing her since she finished her residency (12 years now!), so we have a long history together. She was happy with all my weight loss, but just nervous about the blood work. "Some people are good at being vegetarian, you're not one of them." So I left that appointment and went out and had a big tray of sushi.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I've been seeing her since she finished her residency (12 years now!), so we have a long history together. She was happy with all my weight loss, but just nervous about the blood work. "Some people are good at being vegetarian, you're not one of them." So I left that appointment and went out and had a big tray of sushi.

It's so great having a doctor that is familiar with your long-term health trends. I move a lot for work and I find myself frequently having to explain veganism to my doctors. Fortunately, my blood work is always good so it hasn't been much of an issue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I've seen a fair number of vegans here on MFP who had been eating mostly pasta and not any or enough beans, lentils, oatmeal, quinoa, rice, veggies, fruits, nuts, or seeds, so ya, it does take some "knowledge and effort to make it nutritious."

All of the vegans I know IRL do eat as you described, however.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

I have stomach issues- GERD, gastritis, lactose intolerance.... etc.

When I tried a completely plant based diet for 4 months, and despite eating all the same stuff I was as a vegetarian, my stomach issues took a turn for the worse.

My doctor put me on a restrictive diet for a while, which was like a lower carb version of the bland diet, with a round of antibiotics and a probiotic supplement added.

She (my doc) specifically told me to to eat baked/grilled chicken and fish. I have had a hard time stomaching the chicken, but i am eating fish and cottage cheese pretty regularly now.

I may find another way to veganize myself in the future, but I just wanted to share that I also experienced some health problems while trying to switch.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I've seen a fair number of vegans here on MFP who had been eating mostly pasta and not any or enough beans, lentils, oatmeal, quinoa, rice, veggies, fruits, nuts, or seeds, so ya, it does take some "knowledge and effort to make it nutritious."

All of the vegans I know IRL do eat as you described, however.

I think it's kinda absurd to make a blanket statement about the knowledge and effort it requires to go vegan. If one is already familiar with cooking lots of plant-based foods and likes to eat them, it's going to be an easier transition than someone who isn't. It isn't one-size-fits-all. For some people, it is going to require gaining knowledge and some effort.