Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Sodium deficiency (hyponatremia) is a thing and it isn't something you want. We need sodium to live. Unless your Dr has told you that you need to watch sodium for health reasons don't get too caught up in trying to reduce it.
    I've literally never seen or heard of a person who was hyponatremic due to a dietary deficiency of sodium. It's almost always illness and, in rare cases, too much water or too much sweating and too much water (like ultra-endurance athletes.)

People going under the amount we actually need...never heard of a single case.

So you know everyone's medical diagnosis everywhere? Yeah... Didn't think so.
    I specifically excluded people with medical issues and said I've never heard of anyone with a dietary deficiency. The required amount for people without some medical issue is very small, like 1/3 or less of the 1500 advised for many people.

It's common on MFP to read people saying that nobody has to worry about their salt intake until it causes cardiovascular issues, but that's an MFP thing, not what experts advise.

This 2300 number is a maximum and isn't even advised by many. It excludes people who have a history of various cardiovascular issues, people over 40 and black people. That's a lot of people. Even backing out medical issues, that is still only white people under 40 years of age.

Is it possible that someone became hyponatremic because they didn't take in enough salt? Sure. But it's a freaking rare occurrence and one I've never seen or heard anyone mention.

I don't care if someone wants to eat 50,000g of sodium a day. Chow down. I'm not trying to make anyone lower their salt intake. I'm just saying that this idea of needing to make sure you get enough...it's not a problem for anyone I've ever heard of. Ever.

I'm sure that MFPers will now be coming out of the cracks to say, "I was hospitalized because I only ate 100mg a day for months!" but if it's happened, it's an exceedingly rare thing.

Hyponatremia is a medical issue by itself. Saying that you don't believe it can happen due to low sodium intake can lead people to believe that it never can, which is false. I have seen many people with this issue, usually right after starting a new "diet" plan.

Do you work in medicine? It is actually somewhat common, especially in those who drastically lower their sodium intake while increasing water intake at the same time. It can actually be fatal, and does not require "months of eating 100mg". It can actually happen within several hours.

Please stop giving misinformation because you "have never seen it".
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yeah...working as a nurse I've seen several patients with hyponatremia to the point where they are prescribed sodium pills to help increase there intake. Its a condition that can have some serious side effects.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/basics/definition/con-20031445
    •Nausea and vomiting
    •Headache
    •Confusion
    •Loss of energy and fatigue
    •Restlessness and irritability
    •Muscle weakness, spasms or cramps
    •Seizures
    •Coma

OP: To cut back on sodium, look for more whole foods and make your meals yourself. Prepackaged and frozen foods tend to be sodium bombs as well as canned soups. Restaurants tend to also be much higher in sodium.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    As I said earlier, all four of my nieces have to add dietary sodium as prescribed by their pediatricians. They don't get what their bodies require from their regular diets. Even if it's a condition in their bodies, it's still a dietary deficiency for them. They have to eat more sodium or they have serious detrimental health effects.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    are you consistently going over on sodium in your diary?....
    and IF you do want to cut back on it, make your own food/cut back on processed foods...simple :smiley:
  • mccindy72
    Options
    are you consistently going over on sodium in your diary?....
    and IF you do want to cut back on it, make your own food/cut back on processed foods...simple :smiley:

This. I make my own taco seasoning because it tastes better and doesn't have all the sodium of the store packaged varieties. I do the same with fajita seasoning and sausage gravy mix, spaghetti sauce, beef and turkey gravies, etc. having your own spice pantry is a good idea as is making your own seasoning mixes. My husband makes a great meat seasoning mix for the grill with no salt in it as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Look through your food diary and see if you have recurring items that are exceptionally high in sodium, and find ways to reduce them.

This. In fact, this is great advice whenever people wonder how to cut down on anything. In theory, logging should make it easy.

I don't bother logging the salt I use in cooking, however, so it would be silly for me to try to monitor sodium. For various reasons I'm not concerned about it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mops89 wrote: »
    All I know is that to much salt is not good. I'm not sure if I eat to much sodium, I'm just trying to eat healthier. I have thyroid problems and I shouldn't eat to much processed food which contains a lot of sodium.

Here on the MFP forums, if I take a strawberry from my garden and throw it in the freezer, I have technically processed it, so I use the term "convenience foods" instead, although everyone does know what you mean by "processed foods."

The MFP definition is correct. It's foolish to claim that all processed foods are the same (or have large amounts of sodium) given the wide variety. Most of the time it seems like "processed foods" are being used to refer only to a small subset of such foods (that I personally never really ate). Thus, your use of convenience foods or, perhaps, highly processed foods tends to be a lot more accurate and clear, and I approve, even if you are simply wrong to claim that everyone knows what is meant when just "processed" is used.

That said, while I generally don't eat convenience foods, I understand why some find them helpful, and not all have high sodium. For example, even Dr. Ornish has mentioned the Amy's Light & Lean meals (obviously processed AND convenience foods) as good in a pinch or for someone for whom cooking everything is new and burdensome (I don't know if any of these are low sodium, but I believe you CAN find low sodium prepared meals).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Much of the noise about sodium consumption is targeted to specific demographics - particularly those over 50yrs. If you're physician has not indicated an issue, or if you have no family history of a problem, then you need not be overly concerned.

As everyone stated if this is a concern, then your best option is to prepare food yourself. Sodium is a cheap and easy preservative, so most companies are going to use this rather than risk the potential of bacterial contamination.

If you are a heavy exerciser or live in a hot climate then you need sodium to help retain water rather than risk hyponatremia.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Sodium deficiency (hyponatremia) is a thing and it isn't something you want. We need sodium to live. Unless your Dr has told you that you need to watch sodium for health reasons don't get too caught up in trying to reduce it.
    I've literally never seen or heard of a person who was hyponatremic due to a dietary deficiency of sodium. It's almost always illness and, in rare cases, too much water or too much sweating and too much water (like ultra-endurance athletes.)

I specifically excluded people with medical issues and said I've never heard of anyone with a dietary deficiency. The required amount for people without some medical issue is very small, like 1/3 or less of the 1500 advised for many people.

It's common on MFP to read people saying that nobody has to worry about their salt intake until it causes cardiovascular issues, but that's an MFP thing, not what experts advise.

This 2300 number is a maximum and isn't even advised by many. It excludes people who have a history of various cardiovascular issues, people over 40 and black people. That's a lot of people. Even backing out medical issues, that is still only white people under 40 years of age.

Is it possible that someone became hyponatremic because they didn't take in enough salt? Sure. But it's a freaking rare occurrence and one I've never seen or heard anyone mention.

I don't care if someone wants to eat 50,000g of sodium a day. Chow down. I'm not trying to make anyone lower their salt intake. I'm just saying that this idea of needing to make sure you get enough...it's not a problem for anyone I've ever heard of. Ever.

I'm sure that MFPers will now be coming out of the cracks to say, "I was hospitalized because I only ate 100mg a day for months!" but if it's happened, it's an exceedingly rare thing.

Hyponatremia is a medical issue by itself. Saying that you don't believe it can happen due to low sodium intake can lead people to believe that it never can, which is false. I have seen many people with this issue, usually right after starting a new "diet" plan.

Do you work in medicine? It is actually somewhat common, especially in those who drastically lower their sodium intake while increasing water intake at the same time. It can actually be fatal, and does not require "months of eating 100mg". It can actually happen within several hours.

You mean like people who have just started on a certain fitness website, are new to dietary restrictions, and who keep reading about how important it is to drink enough water? It's a good thing those people don't go onto forums and ask how to reduce sodium! They might get into trouble getting bad advice.
  • mccindy72
    Options

You mean like people who have just started on a certain fitness website, are new to dietary restrictions, and who keep reading about how important it is to drink enough water? It's a good thing those people don't go onto forums and ask how to reduce sodium! They might get into trouble getting bad advice.

Not to mention water toxicity, which comes from drinking very high volumes of water very rapidly. It's entirely possible to hurt or kill your self by doing this. People coming in and being told to drink high volumes of water, without being told to spread that over the course of the day, could do serious harm in more than one way.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Not to mention water toxicity, which comes from drinking very high volumes of water very rapidly. It's entirely possible to hurt or kill your self by doing this. People coming in and being told to drink high volumes of water, without being told to spread that over the course of the day, could do serious harm in more than one way.

I've never heard of anyone dying from drinking too much water. Therefore, it's not a thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I would also add to this excellent post that there are other issues that can occur as well which may not be as severe, but issues none the less...when I started out a few years ago, I greatly reduced my sodium intake due to my Dr. advise to help with my hypertension...at the same time I also upped my water intake and started working out...before I knew it, I was just cramping up all of the time...waking up in the middle of the night with charlie horses...cramping out in the middle of a run, etc. I increased my sodium and that fixed everything.

I'm not saying to just start sucking down sodium...but I do think the push to greatly reduce sodium intake has it's own very serious implications, particularly when coupled with more exercise and increased water intake.
  • davidmanfred
    davidmanfred Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I've never heard of anyone dying from drinking too much water. Therefore, it's not a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

It is thing, just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't or it hasn't happened.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

It is thing, just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't or it hasn't happened.

-do-you-even-sarcasm-bro--e28cf.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

anigif_enhanced-9684-1399935067-1.gif
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My sodium is through the roof. It's high in my diary but that doesn't even include the salt I add to everything. The only reason I'm interested in lower it is to see if water retention is masking any little .5 lb losses I'm looking for.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Strong 11th post.

• davidmanfred
    davidmanfred Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    mops89 wrote: »
    Hi people, how can I cut down on sodium? Can to much affect my diet?

I have found that many items I use for making my meals have a lot of sodium in them. Breads and wraps especially. I was using a low carb wrap for my breakfast (which involves 2 wraps, a banana and 2tbsp of natural peanut butter) and the wraps alone were contributing 300mg each to my daily sodium.

I previously bought a whole grain tortilla and it had 1/3 the sodium, now I use a single piece of whole grain bread and it is much less sodium for the same calories.

Not sure why these wraps have so much sodium but I would bet it is because they are low carb and they are making up for the lack of flavor with sodium, which is a common result of Low-whatever products, add more carbs when it is low fat and more sodium when it is low carb, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I had an issue with too little salt. Regular table salt is iodized to prevent iodine deficiencies. Since I don't eat convenience foods and my table salt is sea and Himalayan salt that is not iodized, when I stopped making Thai food on a regular basis I developed an iodine deficiency, which I remedy by taking kelp tablets.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I had an issue with too little salt. Regular table salt is iodized to prevent iodine deficiencies. Since I don't eat convenience foods and my table salt is sea and Himalayan salt that is not iodized, when I stopped making Thai food on a regular basis I developed an iodine deficiency, which I remedy by taking kelp tablets.

Are those unprocessed kelp tablets?
This discussion has been closed.