Best peanut butter that the ingredients are only peanuts?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    raven56706 wrote: »
    im looking for a peanut butter which i dont have to stir and just have it ready to go

Sprouts has one that is only peanuts...no stir...no refrig. I like it.

Be careful though...they have one that doesn't have added ingredients but it has to be stirred and kept in the refrig.

What does this mean?
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    im looking for a peanut butter which i dont have to stir and just have it ready to go

Be careful though...they have one that doesn't have added ingredients but it has to be stirred and kept in the refrig.

What does this mean?

It means that she does not like to stir :smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    OP you are asking for an impossibility. It's the hydrogenation that allows the peanut butter to be shelf stable and not separate. If you want 100% peanuts it's going to separate.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I enjoy all peanut butters even if they have more than one ingredient. In my book, they are all "best". Except for Skippy. Too runny and it drips off my bread.

My Bulk Barn has a grinder and you can put the nuts through to make your own PB right there.

I prefer hydrogenated as I hate having to refrigerate my PB, and I don't like having to stir the oil back in every time I use it.

If it matters to you, anything hydrogenated has trans fats.

No. That's partially hydrogenated only. Fully hydrogenated is saturated fat, not trans fat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »

What does this mean?

Ha! But if the first is only peanuts, why would I need to be careful not to get the one without added ingredients? Either it's only peanuts or it has added ingredients. It can't be both.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

What does this mean?

You're right...I hate to stir...I hate to also have to store in the frig after I stir.

• Annie_01
    Options

What does this mean?

Ha! But if the first is only peanuts, why would I need to be careful not to get the one without added ingredients? Either it's only peanuts or it has added ingredients. It can't be both.

Because they have a few different types and the packaging looks similar...thus be careful which one you buy if you are looking for no stir.

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

What does this mean?

I KNOW!
  • Annie_01
    Options

What does this mean?

I just deleted the post...I was only trying to help...guess I didn't. :(

• neekmichelle922
    neekmichelle922 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    At whole foods the have a machine where you push a button and can see the peanuts being turned into butter right in front of you that's what I get :) so good !!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I enjoy all peanut butters even if they have more than one ingredient. In my book, they are all "best". Except for Skippy. Too runny and it drips off my bread.

My Bulk Barn has a grinder and you can put the nuts through to make your own PB right there.

I prefer hydrogenated as I hate having to refrigerate my PB, and I don't like having to stir the oil back in every time I use it.

No. That's partially hydrogenated only. Fully hydrogenated is saturated fat, not trans fat.

While true, the oils used in lazy-peanut butter formulations are partially hydrogenated. They are labelled as 0 transfats on the nutrition label merely because the serving size doesn't reach the bar labelling regulations require to declare. Government could make the situation go away by changing labelling regulations, forcing disclosure - public pressure would clean up the issue quickly enough.

Given what a staple peanut butter is for many people, makers shouldn't be producing "stable" peanut butter produced with partially hydrogenated oils - often cheap oils at that, rapeseed and cottonseed - period.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

While true, the oils used in lazy-peanut butter formulations are partially hydrogenated. They are labelled as 0 transfats on the nutrition label merely because the serving size doesn't reach the bar labelling regulations require to declare. Government could make the situation go away by changing labelling regulations, forcing disclosure - public pressure would clean up the issue quickly enough.

Given what a staple peanut butter is for many people, makers shouldn't be producing "stable" peanut butter produced with partially hydrogenated oils - often cheap oils at that, rapeseed and cottonseed - period.

In the US the govt is solving the problem by taking partially hydrogenated oils of the GRAS list. But some pb does contain fully hydrogenated oils or other saturated fat like palm oil to keep it from separating.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I usually get Skippy Natural because I like the taste, but that's not 100% peanuts and salt. For that (which I use for baking), I get the store brand or the Smuckers brand all natural with salt. It makes a mean brownie!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    We make our own. If you have a food processor just grind down roasted peanuts. Add salt to taste.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I prefer peanut only peanut butter with no added salt. I either just blend up some peanuts in my Vitamix and make my own, use the grinding machine at the grocery store and make it there (a little more pricey doing that), or buy a jar with only peanuts as the ingredient. On the latter, any brand is fine with me. On the jarred PB, a few days before I open it and put it in the fridge I turn the jar upside down and just let the oil rise on its own through the PB. The next day I do that again, and on the 3rd day I stir it up (easier to stir) and put it in the fridge. Don't have to stir it again after that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    I prefer peanut only peanut butter with no added salt. I either just blend up some peanuts in my Vitamix and make my own, use the grinding machine at the grocery store and make it there (a little more pricey doing that), or buy a jar with only peanuts as the ingredient. On the latter, any brand is fine with me. On the jarred PB, a few days before I open it and put it in the fridge I turn the jar upside down and just let the oil rise on its own through the PB. The next day I do that again, and on the 3rd day I stir it up (easier to stir) and put it in the fridge. Don't have to stir it again after that.

That's total genius.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I go to my local BulkBarn, find the machine hopper w/ roasted, unsalted/sugar free peanuts, place a container underneath and press a button. That's it. Best PB you can get beyond sending your own roasted salt/sugar free peanuts through a Vitamix.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Smuckers natural <3 My fave! If you have a Marinos grocery store by you their store brand has good PB too.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    http://www.proteinpickandmix.co.uk/snacks/nuts-nut-butters/limited-edition-hognuts-millionaires-shortbread-peanut-butter-500g/

Don't look at the label and just pretend it only contains one ingredient, you won't regret it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

In the US the govt is solving the problem by taking partially hydrogenated oils of the GRAS list. But some pb does contain fully hydrogenated oils or other saturated fat like palm oil to keep it from separating.

Bingo.

Besides, the point I was making is that 'anything hydrogenated' is not trans fat - only because someone will read that post, see hydrogenated xxx on a label and believe the product contains unreported trans fat. Because MFP is like that.