Any 'child-free by choice' people out there?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I don't want any critters, but I would like to be a surrogate purely for the benefits it offers me (lower risk of ovarian cancer). I'm on reserve for a friend if she doesn't have a baby before she turns 30. :laugh:
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I thought I'd introduce myself here, because I could use some camaraderie in this whole child-free decision. Me and My husband were married 3 weeks ago, and have discussed ad nauseum the reason to or not to breed. Not to always wins. I live in the DFW(Tx) area, so I understand looking like 3 headed baby eating monster every time the whys to no kids comes up.

I'm not new to MFP, but I pretty much bailed during the wedding planning process on everything so I deleted my first account and made a new one. I hadn't posted or anything so this time I'd like to be more involved the site. Good luck to everyone!
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    just saying 'hi'! and introducing myself since i just joined MFP.

i am soon to be 36 and was electively sterilized when i was 30. i waited until then because i got a lot of the 'you'll feel different when you hit 30' thing, and i did see friends turn 30 and go baby crazy. but i knew since i was in middle school that i didn't want kids and my feelings never changed.

i am proud of my non-traditional choice. it was a very meaningful decision for me, it was an easy procedure, and as a bonus it resolved a lot of hormonal issues and stress problems that i was trying to cope with at the time.

my mother is the second of 4 daughters, and only 2 of the 4 ever had children. i also have 2 sisters who are over 30 and they do not want children either. it's something we've never wanted and we suspect it might be hereditary. still waiting for the scientific study on that. hah
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    No kids here. Nope. No way. No how.
  • shmiracles
    Options
    my mother is the second of 4 daughters, and only 2 of the 4 ever had children. i also have 2 sisters who are over 30 and they do not want children either. it's something we've never wanted and we suspect it might be hereditary. still waiting for the scientific study on that. hah

oh, i also just realized that i have only 1 female cousin on my mom's side and she too is childfree. actually, of all 4 of my cousins on my mom's side, only 1 male has 1 child. that's one offspring out of seven adults.

now i'm curious about everyone else's families, and if choosing a childfree life seems to be a trend or shared family trait?
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    right here
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Who has two thumbs and no kids? THIS GAL!!!

Seriously though, I've never had any desire to have kids, and it's something I've always been vocal about. Some people congratulate me for being ballsy enough to admit it (which I'll never undertand), some people think I'm selfish, and some people seem to think I have something emotionally wrong with me.

I love kids, and I don't have anything against kids, or people who have them! I've dated guys with kids in the past, and that's fine with me. Also, I have a 4 month old nephew who I can spoil rotten and cute baby fix from.

Maybe one day in the future that might change? You never know, but I'm not betting on it!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Child free here. When we got married, DH and I agreed that the topic of children can be discussed on our 10 year anniversary. I haven't had a change of heart yet ;-)
  • YokoJ
    YokoJ Posts: 253
    Options
    I'm child free....but I deff plan to have children when the right man comes along.
  • soo_z
    soo_z Posts: 42
    Options
    I go back and forth all of the time. Growing up I never had a desire to have children. Now that my friends are getting married and having children around me, I'm wondering if my current very small want stems from wanting to be part of the "club". My significant other has never had a desire to have children and nearly has a panic attack and the thought of us getting pregnant. He was joking the other night that we should try and that's when I knew I absolutely, without a doubt, was not ready. Maybe some day, but as of right now, I'd have to say I'm okay with never having children. I'm always open to re-discussing it in the future.
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Me. I knew when I was 7 that I never wanted children. When I was 23 I tried to get my tubes tied but my doctor said I'd change my mind. Now over 20 years later I have not changed my mind and I'm still happily child-free.
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    One more thought I had; How many people have children who shouldn't? When I look around, I would say clearly, 30% of parents should have been sterilized before they brought children into this world. Just think; you need a license to drive, own a business, cut hair, be a manicurist, a pharmacist, and just about any other profession, but any ill equipped, irresponsible, loser can have a kid. Maybe a license should be required for child bearing. Which to me is a the biggest responsibilty that there is. Just a thought.

:heart:
  • shmiracles
    Options

oh, i also just realized that i have only 1 female cousin on my mom's side and she too is childfree. actually, of all 4 of my cousins on my mom's side, only 1 male has 1 child. that's one offspring out of seven adults.

now i'm curious about everyone else's families, and if choosing a childfree life seems to be a trend or shared family trait?

okay okay, i was wrong! the cousin that i THOUGHT had a child doesn't have a child after all.

that means that out of seven offspring, all over 30 yrs old, not a single one chose to have kids. i think that's kinda uncommon but maybe i'm wrong.
    basically my mother's side of the bloodline ends with my generation. (i do genealogy research as a hobby.)
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 (husband is 34), we don't have or want to have kids at the moment. I supose the biological clock could kick in, but it hasn't yet and I don't expect it to. I've never really wanted kids.

We periodically check in with each other to see if we both feel the same way and as of now, we have.

I used to be worried that the clock would start ticking right about the time I'm too old to have children, but then I realized I wouldn't be too old to adopt. IMO, adopting is probably the better way to go, anyway. So many unwanted children that could use a good home.

It's great to be DINKs (Dual income, no kids)!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    we are child-free FOR NOW... by choice (25 and 26) but in the next couple of years, we do want kids
  • bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    41 - no kids, 2 cats, 4 dogs a rooster, 3 hens and a bunch of guineas. married and :) love my life!
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I'm 34, single and pretty happy that I do not have any kids. I never really wanted any because to be honest I really think that "biological clock" thing does not work in my body. Plus for me not being married really has made my mind up.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    41 - no kids, 2 cats, 4 dogs a rooster, 3 hens and a bunch of guineas. married and :) love my life!
    Are you a necromancer?

NecromancerCover_Springborg.jpg

• CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    For now.
    Not for ever.