To all the "MFP Success Stories..."

124»

Replies

• SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    I didn't cut my calories too low. I've never done 1200 calories as my goal. I've usually been between 1500-1700. As long as I stayed at maintenance calories or below, I didn't worry about it or obsess over it.

I love to cook and to eat, so, I just make sure I move enough during the day to give me a lot of calories for the day.

I've lost 100 lbs and I am currently still losing on 2000 calories a day, not big loses, but, still loses. Current weight is right around 165.

Pay attention to what you are eating, see what keeps you full and what keeps you wanting more.

I found I'm much more satisfied when I eat a full fat version of something (ie milk, cheese, yogurt, butter) rather than a reduced fat or fat free version. While the initial calories are more, I eat less with full fat versions, so, overall I eat less calories this way.

Thank you! Awesome tips
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    1. Once I learned that meal timing doesn't matter, I planned my eating window around when I'm most hungry. For me, that is at night. I am not hungry in the morning, so I use that to my advantage by skipping breakfast (and yes...my metabolism is just fine).
    2. I don't restrict anything (except caloric beverages....only because I want to spend my calories on more food).
    3. I started off slow. Got my eating in check first, then started incorporating exercise at home, now I go to the gym daily. Baby steps. No need to go "balls to the wall" from day 1.
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Focus set a plan stay goal oriented and be ready to commit ..the results will keep you going
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    I had to be emotionally ready to get the weight off
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    50 pounds down and I attribute it to all the ranch dressing that I put on all my huge plates of veggies and chicken...only half serious.

I've tried to diet for a week or two several times, but it wasn't until a doctor told I needed to be on meds for high blood pressure that I took this stuff seriously...luckily mfp gave me the structure I needed to keep going past a week or two...now it's just a part of life, and so is losing weight =)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    I see loads of good advice! I too believe that pre-logging helps... I just neglect doing it most of the time ;-)

That said why don't you play with some items and see how many calories they are so that you can collect for yourself a nice arsenal of snacks and meals?

For the longest time I would hit a plain 0% fat Greek yoghurt with fruit in it (cubed apples for longer satiety) and maybe some fiber cereal (or unsalted raw pumpkin seeds) for extra crunchiness before going to bed at night. At the quantities I ate... between 300 and 500 Cal.

I've also found that frankly reducing my morning breakfast cals helps allow for more calories in the evening when I have a harder time controlling myself.

I mean grab a coffee, or two, or three (no sugar, one milk each) deal with some phone calls, and before I know it it is almost 11; snack a bit... and we made it out of the morning without using up 1/3 of our calories ;-)

Snack a bit more through noon and all of a sudden you are going OMG: how am I ever going to eat up that much in the evening? ;-)

Also check your macros... are you eating 100% of the MFP protein goal + a bit more? What about the fiber one?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    atiana19 wrote: »
    I had to be emotionally ready to get the weight off

Very good point and one that I haven't seen mentioned much here. When we gain weight for reasons other than just eating mindlessly, those reasons should be addressed for best success.

• Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    I just had to want it enough. I have tried this several times with no success. This time it caught on. I am more stubborn than this fat on my body.

Also, I got an Apple Watch, which I love to death.

I feel naked without my apple watch. The fact that it syncs perfectly with fitness pal is a huge motivator
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member

I feel naked without my apple watch. The fact that it syncs perfectly with fitness pal is a huge motivator

I want one. <3o:)<3
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    If you are not ready to make a commitment to doing something, you will never succeed. However, you can take some solace in knowing that every time you fail, you are once step closer to success.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2015
    How were you able to make MFP work for you? Each day I start off strong and every evening I sabotage myself by overeating. Please share tips on how you were able to be consistent enough to achieve your weight loss goals. Thanks so much! :)

I think there are a number of different aspects, it really depends what's important to you. I started using MFP about 2 years ago, had some fairly rapid weight loss initially and then moderated it.

At the time logging through the day allowed me to make informed decisions. At 1600 I'd be able to tell what I had remaning and that meant thinking through whether the apple, or nuts, or dried fruit, made sense or whether it would leave me with too little for dinner. I also had to make sure I had a sensible daily goal, for a period I was on too low a goal and that was affecting me quite badly in terms of not having enough energy to function properly.

I also startedd running, and psychologically working to the same goal, but being able to eat more physically because of the running calories helpd. Eating to 1600 cals was difficult, but running off 300-400 cals and then eating 1900 cals, but netting 1600 ws much easier. Same end result, but it felt more satisfying.

I also fairly quickly realised that what became important to me was running performance, rather than weight loss per se. I'm more concerned with my fitness and how I look and feel than my weight now. I eat to fuel my training, rather than dieting.

I'd add that whilst some fom of step tracker, like a fitbit, is interesting, it's not some form of magic bullet. It may not be appropriate for your lifestyle, or it doesn't address the underlying issues around how you relate to food.

I would also highlight that your point about eating every three hours may not help, as meal timing has little to do with succeses if it's not helping you psychologically.

ETA: The tendency towards "One True Way (tm)" that I see on these boards doesn't always help. Pick an approach that fits your lifestyle and constraints.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    How were you able to make MFP work for you? Each day I start off strong and every evening I sabotage myself by overeating. Please share tips on how you were able to be consistent enough to achieve your weight loss goals. Thanks so much! :)

you have to want it, more than you want to eat.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hello! :)

It definitely didn't come easy for me at first. I started and failed many, many times until it became genuinely important for me. Once it was important enough, I got my results. Once I was serious about it, the weight started coming off. My advice is track every thing (cliche, I know). It really works. Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You have to want it badly enough. Pre-log /plan your meals ahead and that helps to keep you focused. Try to get some activity into your day and give it time. It takes time to form new and lasting habits, but its totally worth making the effort :smile:
  • AllyCat76
    AllyCat76 Posts: 3 Member
    I garantee that if you drink 400-500ml of water (a large glass) before each meal you will eat less. Guaranteed!!
    At your 3pm trigger time try and change your habit of hi sugar or high carb to either mug of green tea or hot water with squeeze of lemon. And get Into habit of big drink of water at this time too. It may just be dehydration making you feel sleepy (crave sugar) or hungry (crave carbs).
    Just try it for one day and see if it helps. See how drinking all that water makes you feel. Work out what works for you. I don't like drinking from a glass, I drink from a sports bottle, but every one is different.
    Surely you can commit to one day?
    Good luck.