Wearing tight / smaller clothes to lose weight

Options
Anyone buy/wear clothes that are tight to lose weight? I read this somewhere. It said that if you wear clothes that feel small it will keep weight loss in your mind. I do this with my work uniform. It's snug enough that it makes me make better choices during the day. I've went through three uniform sizes this year.

Because I wear military uniforms, they are pretty forgiving so I don't look terrible when it's snug. I know when I wear a t-shirt and jeans that are too tight, I can look like stuffed sausage.

What are some things you guys do to remember to make good choices?

Replies

• suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    quote="jesikalovesyou;10242630"]Anyone buy/wear clothes that are tight to lose weight? I read this somewhere. It said that if you wear clothes that feel small it will keep weight loss in your mind. I do this with my work uniform. It's snug enough that it makes me make better choices during the day. I've went through three uniform sizes this year.

Because I wear military uniforms, they are pretty forgiving so I don't look terrible when it's snug. I know when I wear a t-shirt and jeans that are too tight, I can look like stuffed sausage.

What are some things you guys do to remember to make good choices?[/quote]

Keep looking at my spare tyre every time I pass a reflective surface!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    When I first got out of college and got an office job, I noticed after a bit my dress pants were getting tighter. I vowed to myself right then I wasn't going to buy the next biggest size and I would adjust diet and exercise instead. Has worked for 30+ years.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Since I've steadily been going down in weight, I will buy a few things here and there for the upcoming season that feel tight or don't sit on me right yet. I bought some tops for this fall a couple months ago and I tried them on a few days ago and they are already looking better, not as tight. In fact, I can wear the one now! Lol So, yeah that was nice.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yep. Ironically when I live in workout clothes I tend to gain weight because they feel comfy and make me appear slim so I get sloppy with my diet. But when I try on last fall's skinny jeans and they barely fit it's very motivating to log more accurately again. I have however pitched some clothes left over from days when I was underweight as I don't really need to be starving myself into them again.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. I have a pair of Capris that are too tight in the waist but fit nicely everywhere else. I hate the feeling but that's the point...right? It's just a reminder of how much I want to keep losing. <3
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Although snug clothes are very motivating, I don't need the motivation. I'm already motivated, so I don't start wearing clothes until they fit.
  • ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yup i do this, gives you a little reminder to stay on track, especially at work when there are treats around!
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Personally this wouldn't work for me. I would consider it self inflicted body shaming and I am all about the positive self care in my life.

What I have done is buy reward clothing for losing 10 lbs, etc but buy it in the next size down than I am...and know I am going to work to get into them. However I wouldn't wear them until they fit comfortably. All those rewards clothes I bought too small...they either all fit or are loose now, so whatever I was doing worked for me.

^ I agree with Shell ^
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have clothes that are still too tight, which I use as a measure of progress. But if clothes are too tight I don't wear them around. They make me uncomfortable and it would distract me from everything else to the point of frustration. So they stay in the closet.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I can see how/why it would work, but I don't want to walk around looking unprofessional or like a stuffed sausage just to get the motivation. Maybe spanx or something similar would work better without showing the world all one's dimples and divots?
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm completely against body shaming also. But I think it this case, the idea (at least it would be for me) is less about guilt and more about a physical feeling of restriction. The old sweat pants on Thanksgiving right? Need the room to fit more food. I know when my clothes fit a bit tighter, I am less likely to believe I have the room for the heavy meal. I'm certain it wouldn't have that effect on everyone, but I can see how it would for some.
  • bitterfusion
    bitterfusion Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yep - I wear clothes from when I was skinnier as a reality check. It reminds me that I was smaller once and can get back to that size again if I put in the effort. I also feel really uncomfortable wearing them, which is motivation to do something about it!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I hate the feeling of too tight or too small clothing. Even if they look OK, I hate feeling uncomfortable. Yes, it keeps your weight in your mind but I'm not sure it's in a good way. In the end I don't think that it helps or hurts weight loss, so why be more uncomfortable than you need to be?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Personally this wouldn't work for me. I would consider it self inflicted body shaming and I am all about the positive self care in my life.

What I have done is buy reward clothing for losing 10 lbs, etc but buy it in the next size down than I am...and know I am going to work to get into them. However I wouldn't wear them until they fit comfortably. All those rewards clothes I bought too small...they either all fit or are loose now, so whatever I was doing worked for me.

This.

I've bought clothes that are a little too tight because they were a good deal, but I won't wear them until they fit me.

However, I am getting rid of too big clothes as I'm losing weight. It's just too easy to revert when you have larger clothes laying around. If I have to buy new clothes because I'm getting too fat, its not as easy to be in denial. I'm planning to use my clothes as a gauge that I need to be more diligent if they are starting to get tight.
  • CindyR81
    CindyR81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is a great tip and will definitely motivate me. It sucks cuz the years I've just put on a few pounds here and there but just bought the next size up... All of a sudden I have this wedding to go to (my sister's) and damn now it hits me lol I started working out and making healthier choices but the tighter clothes will be a constant reminder which for me is good
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    This would not work for me, I find too tight clothing depressing, however, I do buy clothes a size down and try them on regularly, and each time an outfit fits I have a wardrobe clearout to remove clothes too loose, and replace with my new clothes that now fits. I guess different approaches works for different people.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I can see how/why it would work, but I don't want to walk around looking unprofessional or like a stuffed sausage just to get the motivation. Maybe spanx or something similar would work better without showing the world all one's dimples and divots?

I agree with this.

I have come a long long way since beginning to lose weight but I still have a bit to go. Buying clothes that are too tight and making myself wear them would be a punishment for not yet losing the last bit of fat. I don't think it is appropriate to punish myself for focusing on healthy weight loss rather than fat weight loss or for my body not letting that last bit of fat around my middle go at my preferred speed.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I actually do something totally opposite. I still have quite a bit of weight to go, but at 1lb a week, it's going to take a while. So every now and then, I buy myself a nice shirt that I really love and that fits well. When I dress in something that I look good in and feel good in, it makes me happy. When I'm happy, I'm far more motivated and it's a constant reminder of all the work I've done so far and how much I can still do to do better.

I have anxiety, so if I wear clothes that make me uncomfortable or look really horrible, it bothers me all day, and I obsess about it and it makes me sad (I know that probably sounds crazy).

Anyways, what ever works for you!
  • orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Having social anxiety, no way I could go outside or be even remotely comfortable wearing clothes that are too tight.
    That being said, I do buy clothes in smaller sizes if I really like them because I know I will fit into them eventually (plus that gives me motivation.) Typically I only buy 1-2 sizes down though.
    It feels great when I can put on a piece of clothing that didn't fit before, much in the same way it is when I put on my largest size of jeans and they are huge on me (at my heaviest I had to do lunges in them to stretch them out!)