Ayurvedic nutrition and holistic health

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    iwantwow wrote: »
    dont complain about something u are not aware of ,its surprising how people can believe in yoga but not ayurveda which exists together.For some people's information ,i would like to tell u that in my family we still use and follow ayurveda and have seen amazing results with it...please be educated ,because this site is all about educating yourself .If we are not aware something .doesnt mean its not true.

Give me a testable claim -- a claim that is falsifiable as to what Ayurveda can achieve and then we can discuss "education." Deepak Chopra claims it can stop aging if you "metabolise" correctly. And as we can see, that's a specious claim if there ever was one.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @WildePillar, as you can see, you are correct that you cannot have a civil conversation about Ayurveda here. Maybe check out this thread and reach out to the OP and other pro-Ayurvedic people there: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10167622/ayurvedic-nutrition-for-weight-loss-and-general-sanity/p1

Yes, it's great when people in comfortable, safe Western environments wax lyrical and romanticise about indigenous practices when those practices can actively harm people in developing countries.

Do elaborate about how Ayurveda hurts people in India. I look forward to running this by my Indian colleagues and getting their take on the matter.

I'm Sri Lankan as I said further up the thread.

I have had personal experience of very poor, very vulnerable, very hopeless people getting ripped off by Ayurvedic "medical" practitioners leading to worsening of conditions which modern medicine could have dealt with.

But please, do ask your Indian friends their opinion.

OohBurn.gif
    Options
    @WildePillar, as you can see, you are correct that you cannot have a civil conversation about Ayurveda here. Maybe check out this thread and reach out to the OP and other pro-Ayurvedic people there: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10167622/ayurvedic-nutrition-for-weight-loss-and-general-sanity/p1

Yes, it's great when people in comfortable, safe Western environments wax lyrical and romanticise about indigenous practices when those practices can actively harm people in developing countries.

Do elaborate about how Ayurveda hurts people in India. I look forward to running this by my Indian colleagues and getting their take on the matter.
    If the opinions by your friends are opinions of those by "true believers" then you are not really bringing any quality evidence to the table. Any claim must have evidence commensurate in quality to the claim.

Sorry, but opinions don't hold much water.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I'm Sri Lankan as I said further up the thread.

I have had personal experience of very poor, very vulnerable, very hopeless people getting ripped off by Ayurvedic "medical" practitioners leading to worsening of conditions which modern medicine could have dealt with.

But please, do ask your Indian friends their opinion.

tumblr_lxyuy36zCQ1r1lruz.gif
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Here's something from the link DeguelloTex shared above:
    Significant Risk

In 2003, a survey of Ayurvedic herbal products manufactured in South Asia and sold in Boston-area stores found that 14 of 70 products (20%) contained concentrations of lead, mercury, and/or arsenic that—if the products were taken according to directions—would exceed published regulatory standards. The authors also noted that ayurvedic theory attributes important therapeutic roles to mercury and lead and that perhaps 35-40% of medicines in the Ayurvedic formulary contain at least one metal. The authors concluded that users of Ayurvedic medicine may be at risk for heavy metal toxicity, and testing of Ayurvedic HMPs for toxic heavy metals should be mandatory [6]. Several studies done in other countries have had similar findings. Another survey published in 2008 found potentially harmful heavy metals in many more ayurvedic products. After identifying 673 products on 25 Web sites, the researchers randomly selected 230, received and analyzed 193, and found that one fifth of them contained heavy metals in amounts that exceeded standards for acceptable daily intake [7]. In 2012, the CDC reported six cases of lead poisoning among foreign-born pregnant women in New York City who had taken ayurvedic products [8].

That, of itself, it concerning.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Here's something from the link DeguelloTex shared above:
    Significant Risk

In 2003, a survey of Ayurvedic herbal products manufactured in South Asia and sold in Boston-area stores found that 14 of 70 products (20%) contained concentrations of lead, mercury, and/or arsenic that—if the products were taken according to directions—would exceed published regulatory standards. The authors also noted that ayurvedic theory attributes important therapeutic roles to mercury and lead and that perhaps 35-40% of medicines in the Ayurvedic formulary contain at least one metal. The authors concluded that users of Ayurvedic medicine may be at risk for heavy metal toxicity, and testing of Ayurvedic HMPs for toxic heavy metals should be mandatory [6]. Several studies done in other countries have had similar findings. Another survey published in 2008 found potentially harmful heavy metals in many more ayurvedic products. After identifying 673 products on 25 Web sites, the researchers randomly selected 230, received and analyzed 193, and found that one fifth of them contained heavy metals in amounts that exceeded standards for acceptable daily intake [7]. In 2012, the CDC reported six cases of lead poisoning among foreign-born pregnant women in New York City who had taken ayurvedic products [8].

That, of itself, it concerning.

That is definitely concerning. :|

"Another survey published in 2008 found potentially harmful heavy metals in many more ayurvedic products. After identifying 673 products on 25 Web sites, the researchers randomly selected 230, received and analyzed 193, and found that one fifth of them contained heavy metals in amounts that exceeded standards for acceptable daily intake [7]"

That's actually terrifying. Heavy metal poisoning is so damaging to a person.
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    yes ,people dealing with ayurveda are not doing justice...doesnt mean that ayurveda is not.....i know my mother supporting western medicine her whole life died of asthama whereas my MIL was saved by ayurveda and yoga ..after dealing with kidney problem her whole life...so yes i have my reasons to believe in ayurveda and u have urs not to....
    Options
    yes ,people dealing with ayurveda are not doing justice...doesnt mean that ayurveda is not.....i know my mother supporting western medicine her whole life died of asthama whereas my MIL was saved by ayurveda and yoga ..after dealing with kidney problem her whole life...so yes i have my reasons to believe in ayurveda and u have urs not to....
    That's not evidence, but anecdotes.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    And I know people who smoke who are still alive and people who didn't who died of cancer. Your argument is sorely lacking.

edited August 2015
    Options
    Just a new mother who is looking into various health issues and exploring new things.

I can totally appreciate that you are a new mother and as a new parent you want to do right by your children and give them best care. I am a relativity new father myself, my daughter will be 5 in November.

However, your confidence in Ayurveda "medicine" is misplaced and it quite reminds me of parents who put their confidence, their uncritical belief in "faith healing."
    "Between 1975 and 1995, approximately 172 children died in the US after their parents withheld medical care on religious grounds—140 of these fatalities were from conditions easily treated by medicine. Certain Christian denominations rely on Biblical scriptures like James 5:15 (“And the prayer of faith shall save the sick”), interpreting them to mean that believers should seek healing from their own prayers rather than from members of the medical community. Adults taking charge of their own health and choosing their own treatment (or lack thereof) is one thing, but when a parent opts to not get medical help for a child, resulting in that child’s death, then courts must determine where the line between the freedom to practice one’s religion and the duty to protect one’s child should be drawn."

Source

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just a new mother who is looking into various health issues and exploring new things. No need to be mean.

I can totally appreciate that you are a new mother and as a new parent you want to do right by your children and give them best care. I am a relativity new father myself, my daughter will be 5 in November.

However, your confidence in Ayurveda "medicine" is misplaced and it quite reminds me of parents who put their confidence, their uncritical belief in "faith healing."
    "Between 1975 and 1995, approximately 172 children died in the US after their parents withheld medical care on religious grounds—140 of these fatalities were from conditions easily treated by medicine. Certain Christian denominations rely on Biblical scriptures like James 5:15 (“And the prayer of faith shall save the sick”), interpreting them to mean that believers should seek healing from their own prayers rather than from members of the medical community. Adults taking charge of their own health and choosing their own treatment (or lack thereof) is one thing, but when a parent opts to not get medical help for a child, resulting in that child’s death, then courts must determine where the line between the freedom to practice one’s religion and the duty to protect one’s child should be drawn."

Source

I never said I was confident in it. I'm exploring it. There is a difference.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I can't understand why you would come to a calorie counting site then? To guide us to the truth? I doubt you are going to find any converts here and I am wondering if you are a troll.

You do your crazy thang, the rest of us will lose weight the regular way.

Nope, not a troll. Just a new mother who is looking into various health issues and exploring new things. No need to be mean.

Source

Okay. Then what is that attracts you to Ayurveda "medicine?"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a fan of holistic health, without eschewing modern medicine. I do like a doctor that doesn’t immediately reach for the prescription pad for every complaint.

But this
    https://nccih.nih.gov/health/ayurveda/introduction.htm
    though interesting, is a bit scary. As with anything called "holistic" I would suggest carefully analyzing and researching each direction and recommendation individually, rather than blindly following all the advice.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I have a strong distaste that people latch onto these traditional medicines and call them holistic, and consciously or unconsciously try to make the comparison that evidence based medicine isn't holistic nor preventative.
    The fact that anyone on this site losing weight or maintaining weight for general health is instant proof that modern medicine has holistic, preventative care. The simple truth is that so much of it is so obvious to be growing up in modern times as part of our culture that we act like it isn't. Then suddenly someone hears about ayurveda, or yoga and says "wow, exercise can relieve stress, and stress is harmful. How profound."
    No, it isn't profound. No, it isn't enlightening. You've heard that your whole life, it is just you've become so accustomed that you don't think of it because you have habituation. Suddenly someone presents something in a different way and it is profound.
    There is nothing profound about a medical practice that still assigns treatments based on how full of fire element your body is.
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I can't understand why you would come to a calorie counting site then? To guide us to the truth? I doubt you are going to find any converts here and I am wondering if you are a troll.

Nope, not a troll. Just a new mother who is looking into various health issues and exploring new things. No need to be mean.

Source

I never even mentioned the word "medicine". I meant eating / exercising for a body type.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    @PeachyCarol - look what we have a thread about!

It's a birthday present!!!!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Source

I never even mentioned the word "medicine". I meant eating / exercising for a body type.

How do you know what body type you are? Is there a quiz or test online? (genuine question, I love that type of thing)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, its now also apparently hurting people in comfortable, western countries as well, who avoid seeking medical attention for medical problems, and instead try to re-balance their internal fire, water, earth, air, etc. I find it very odd that people who would cringe at healing themselves through, say, a native american ceremony designed to drive out an evil spirit, would find it credible that Ayurvedic herbs could cure cancer.