Weight loss -awkward subject?

I've been on this diet for over a month and a half now, I realize that in another month or two my appearance will change because i would have lost weight. Thing is, my weight is a sensitive subject for me.. I don't want people blurting out about my weight loss or asking me what i have been doing to lose weight in front of everyone because then they expect me to talk about it. Does anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Stop calling it a diet.
  • skattersIA
    skattersIA Posts: 13 Member
    I know just what you mean. For me, if they acknowledge that I am losing weight they are also acknowledging that I am overweight. Or like people are watching you, and if you have a set back, it's embarrassing. Can you get away with saying "I've lost a little, thank you for asking." Then change the subject? Maybe have a couple of subjects in your mind just for the occasion? Or compliment them on something... most people love to talk about themselves.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    skattersIA wrote: »
    I know just what you mean. For me, if they acknowledge that I am losing weight they are also acknowledging that I am overweight.

So why are you losing weight? If you noticed you need to don't you think everyone else did too?
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Just use short but courteous responses and repeat them verbatim to get the point across that you don't want to talk about it. If they ask if you've lost weight, just be like "Yep, I've lost weight," and if they ask what you're doing just say "I've made some changes." Couple these responses with "Is that a new perfume you're wearing?" or any kind of polite random question to change the topic of discussion.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    People know im fat, i mean..they have seen me. I do look better. I know i do, and when someone mentions it, it means my hard work is paying off, and obvios to someone other than myself. It makes me full of pride, and that much more accountable. If they know i lost, then they willb obviously know i gained. I actually prefer my real life friends on my fitness pal for that very reason. Im not just a random stranger.
  • skattersIA
    skattersIA Posts: 13 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    skattersIA wrote: »
    I know just what you mean. For me, if they acknowledge that I am losing weight they are also acknowledging that I am overweight.

So why are you losing weight? If you noticed you need to don't you think everyone else did too?

I am losing weight so *I* feel better. I am losing weight for a lot of reasons - but very few of them have to do with other people. Yes, I am sure they noticed I am fat. But I don't want to notice that they have noticed. /shrug

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Just accept they will notice.

You mention your losing weight for yourself, you don't care what others think/thought.

So why do you care they notice weightloss.

Someone asks you about it say "yeah thanks but I would rather not talk about"
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Or wear baggy clothes, a fat suit or similar to increase the time before people notice.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    I was at party a couple months ago with a few people I have known a couple years but am not close to., and several people I was just meeting... My now ex-fella blurts out to these random people I had lost 30 pounds. I was soooo peeved!!, Embarassed! Upset! Yes, I allowed myself to get more than heavy, took care of it..... Most of them saw me a couple years ago before 15 extra pounds randomly showed up in addition to the15 I put on years ago after kids. So why for instance does someone else even rationally think it is okay to bring up my weight loss in front of people who don't even know me, or others who I know but never saw me overweight?? Sorry... Venting
  • ncboiler89
    I was at party a couple months ago with a few people I have known a couple years but am not close to., and several people I was just meeting... My now ex-fella blurts out to these random people I had lost 30 pounds.

I can see this being a problem and dude probably needs punched in the face.
  • Sandcastles61
    I was at party a couple months ago with a few people I have known a couple years but am not close to., and several people I was just meeting... My now ex-fella blurts out to these random people I had lost 30 pounds.

I can see this being a problem and dude probably needs punched in the face.

Hahaha... I have always enjoyed your salty advice :) Just kicked him to the curb instead for being "insensitive" LOL
  • Jiveli85
    Jiveli85 Posts: 37 Member
    Recently I went to a party and ran into another couple I haven't seen in years. The first thing out of the guys mouth was "hey! You've lost a s--- ton of weight!" I don't care that he noticed but I didn't really care for the announcement. Made me feel super awkward.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    People say these things because they are impressed and/or proud of u if they know u. Smile and say thank you, it's been quite a journey. Of course people noticed you were overweight before. Ususlly WE are the only ones who couldn't see how bad off we were. Yes, sometimes they don't express themselves well and end up sounding like an insult. Quite frankly, I now love making people's jaw drop!!
  • Sandcastles61
    Jiveli85 wrote: »
    Recently I went to a party and ran into another couple I haven't seen in years. The first thing out of the guys mouth was "hey! You've lost a s--- ton of weight!" I don't care that he noticed but I didn't really care for the announcement. Made me feel super awkward.

Yep...,, same but different than my experience. Those dang public exclamations by random people???? No thanks!!
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    I learned to enjoy the positive attention over time. Eventually it will be your new normal and nobody will notice anymore.

What I hate is people telling me to stop and trying to shove food down my throat. I've lost 50 lbs and look drastically different than I used to, but I'm still not in the normal weight range for my height. I have a lot of belly fat that still needs to go...about 25 more lbs worth to be exact. Yet some people are actively encouraging me to stop. That's what I find most frustrating.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    I take it as a compliment, plus its nice to know your efforts are paying off. I feel very flattered when people mention it, its when they bring it up over and over that I start feeling a bit uncomfortable. I've lost 30lbs and I feel exactly as fat as I did before so it feels good knowing its probably in my head
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Many people never see successful weight loss. It's unusual, like seeing someone get hit by lightning.

They shouldn't comment, really, bc people lose weight bc of illness, sometimes. But (since you're not ill), recognize what a weird thing it is they're seeing, and take it as a compliment. Say "yes, I lost weight, thanks for noticing! I counted calories and walked" (or whatever) and it will take 30 seconds & then you can change the subject.
  • ncboiler89
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Many people never see successful weight loss. It's unusual, like seeing someone get hit by lightning.

They shouldn't comment, really, bc people lose weight bc of illness, sometimes. But (since you're not ill), recognize what a weird thing it is they're seeing, and take it as a compliment. Say "yes, I lost weight, thanks for noticing! I counted calories and walked" (or whatever) and it will take 30 seconds & then you can change the subject.

Whew. And I was thinking I was drinking a lot tonight.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    I dunno, i don't have a lot of friends and i am quiet in my class so i shouldn't expect too much fuss over it. If someone kicks up a fuss i'll shoot them the death stare lol.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    tomatoey wrote: »

Whew. And I was thinking I was drinking a lot tonight.

lol
    catt952 wrote: »
    I dunno, i don't have a lot of friends and i am quiet in my class so i shouldn't expect too much fuss over it. If someone kicks up a fuss i'll shoot them the death stare lol.

Aw... if you're quiet and have a hard time talking to people, it might be good practice, no? Not an ideal subject to practice on, I'm sure you'd rather talk about something else, but if you can get through conversations about this, I think that might help you feel more confident about handling other kinds of conversations.
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    Just use short but courteous responses and repeat them verbatim to get the point across that you don't want to talk about it. If they ask if you've lost weight, just be like "Yep, I've lost weight," and if they ask what you're doing just say "I've made some changes." Couple these responses with "Is that a new perfume you're wearing?" or any kind of polite random question to change the topic of discussion.

^^ perfect advice