Weight loss -awkward subject?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    catt952 wrote: »
    I've been on this diet for over a month and a half now, I realize that in another month or two my appearance will change because i would have lost weight. Thing is, my weight is a sensitive subject for me.. I don't want people blurting out about my weight loss or asking me what i have been doing to lose weight in front of everyone because then they expect me to talk about it. Does anyone else feel like this?

I don't really look foward to conversing about my weight. I'm certainly not going to bring it up. If asked about my loss I would just say I watched my calorie intake and change the subject. I'm good at not talking about things I don't want to talk about about though.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    You can't really control what other people say/do. But you can control what YOU say/do. If you don't wanna talk about it, don't. I didn't tell anybody I was trying to lose weight, because I didn't want any commentary on what I was or was not eating. When people ask me if I lost weight, I just say yes, and if they ask me how, I just say, "Calorie counting." If people wanna ask more questions, I don't mind. But I tend not to volunteer info.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    People think that's a good thing to say and I know they mean it as a compliment but it's ok to be bothered by it. Your body isn't actually their business and you don't have to talk about it to anyone. People make way too big a deal over what other people look like.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    airbent wrote: »
    People think that's a good thing to say and I know they mean it as a compliment but it's ok to be bothered by it. Your body isn't actually their business and you don't have to talk about it to anyone. People make way too big a deal over what other people look like.

This is also very true
  • Sarri93
    Sarri93 Posts: 58 Member
    Personally, I love people noticing that I've lost weight. I know damn well that I'm fat and need to lose weight, and it feels good to have someone notice how hard I've been working to get to where I am. Now saying that, I do hate when people ask me how I did it. I'm just like the normal way man.

Sometimes I'm tempted to get sarcastic and tell them that a magic spell made the fat just disappear. lol
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    You are being too sensitive.

This is one of those things that you just have to figure out. In the grand scheme of things, it really is not a big challenge.

People notice other people's bodies. It's reality, whether you like it or not.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    When someone comments and says I've lost weight I just smile and say "thanks, just a little" and move the subject on to something else. I think it is a horrible topic and don't understand how people think it is an appropriate thing to bring up but they do. But then I see tons of posts on here where people are mad no one is talking about their weight so they are probably hanging around people like me who would never bring it up and I'm surrounded by people like them who only want to talk about it! :p
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Yes. Don't be ashamed to feel like this. Weight is VERY personal yet people will always feel the need to blurt out "wow have you lost weight" and assume its a massive compliment. I don't think there's a way to stop people opening their mouths and voicing their opinions on this (if only..) but perhaps work on how you deal with it. I'd suggest a "yes I have, thank you". And close the subject. If you aren't comfortable with discussing it then don't discuss it. Its totally your right.

Good luck :)
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    People say these things because they are impressed and/or proud of u if they know u. Smile and say thank you, it's been quite a journey. Of course people noticed you were overweight before. Ususlly WE are the only ones who couldn't see how bad off we were. Yes, sometimes they don't express themselves well and end up sounding like an insult. Quite frankly, I now love making people's jaw drop!!

I totally understand and appreciate that train of thought from a fella's perspective....... I also understand and appreciate the sentiment it's your body and you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. My personal exception came from someone close to me making a public proclamation in front of a group of individuals I either had never met before, or who had never seen me more than 15 pounds over my lowest weight after I had children nearly 30 years ago. Women can be a little funny that way. If one of them had said, hey way to go, you look fabulous since the last time I saw you... I absolutely would have smiled and thanked them
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Just say

"Yes I have, thank you for noticing, so how is....."
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    This is exactly why I don't comment on people's weight. Losing weight isn't always a good thing. Maybe they're not intentionally losing weight and have an illness. Someone I know lost a lot of weight during a period of grief and wasn't looking after herself. People would gush at her all the time about how much weight she'd lost. It was uncomfortable for her because it was associated with such emotional pain. And as previous posters have mentioned, even if the loss is intentional for some people it's emotionally complex, private or embarrassing.

I'll tell people that they're looking well, in the same way that I comment if someone's dress is a gorgeous colour on them. If I know that someone is trying to lose weight, bulk/cut or get fit then I'll comment positively if I notice but that's only if they have initiated the topic.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    It depends on the amount of weight lost. To me it's more awkward if people try not to mention it because they give funny looks trying to bite their tongue (or I imagine they do).

I've lost about 96 pounds, it's as noticeable as if I'd died my hair bright pink; if someone hasn't seen me in that time they give a quick comment, I give a vague reply on the methods and we're off discussing something else. Mildly uncomfortable, but less than then trying not to mention it.

If someone asks for more info to improve themselves, I feel honored to try to help then on their journey. And if someone is a true friend, notices me eating better, and asks me how it's going I accept that as their taking interest in my life.

To another's point, I do prefer people not just blurt it out in a large meeting/group setting. Unfortunately, some people don't understand how that could be embarrassing.
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    People have to notice with me because I quite often walk into the office with 'guess how much weight I've lost this week?' - but that's because I'm proud that my hard work is paying off. If it makes you uncomfortable however, as others have said, I would just casually change the subject. :)
  • Billy213
    Billy213 Posts: 31 Member
    You are being too sensitive.

This is one of those things that you just have to figure out. In the grand scheme of things, it really is not a big challenge.

People notice other people's bodies. It's reality, whether you like it or not.

THIS.

As I've started losing and people started commenting it makes you realise how much people notice things like body weight change so quickly. At first I hated it, but then very quickly got over and it and now couldn't care less.

It's all positive attention anyway. I normally give a witty answer to how I'm achieving it, or bore them with my life for the last 8 weeks.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    I would take people noticing my weight loss as a compliment and can't wait for people to fuss over me. Only lost 4lbs so far but the other day my o/h half said ' hey your tits have overtaken your gut already' lol
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Yes I feel like this and I hate it :/ it's something that can't be avoided though I've found, I just laugh it off when people make comments. If they ask questions, I will tell the truth, but if people don't ask I just keep it to myself. Only 2 people have actually asked how much I've lost, and those are the only two that know, apart from MFP friends.

I just have very little confidence, hate people paying attention to me. I'm hoping once I'm closer to my target I'll have more confidence but I'm Half way there nearly and not anymore confident than I was!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Jiveli85 wrote: »
    Recently I went to a party and ran into another couple I haven't seen in years. The first thing out of the guys mouth was "hey! You've lost a s--- ton of weight!" I don't care that he noticed but I didn't really care for the announcement. Made me feel super awkward.

How is that awkward? I'd be like "Hell yeah I did. It's awesome."
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    I guess I am the opposite!

I went back to work yesterday after the summer off. I have lost 21 lbs since June 21. I was excited to have someone say something about my weight loss. No one said anything! I got about 8 comments about my new hair cut - it is the exact same cut and color I have had for over 5 years. :/
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I guess I am the opposite!

I went back to work yesterday after the summer off. I have lost 21 lbs since June 21. I was excited to have someone say something about my weight loss. No one said anything! I got about 8 comments about my new hair cut - it is the exact same cut and color I have had for over 5 years. :/

They could know some don't like it when you notice, and not wanted to comment.

Or maybe commenting on hair is code for I notice you look good, but don't know how to say it/can't put my finger on it.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    I like talking about my weight loss, because I am proud of all the hard work I have been putting in to myself to be a healthier me. I have given many friends on here inspiration to continue on their lifestyle goals as well as family and friends offline. If you don't feel comfortable talking about simply direct the conversation to a different topic.