Replies

• kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Sardines.. always
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, we didn't have a lot of money so we ate out of the pantry a lot. A lot of canned pastas and beans and vegetables. Now that I'm an adult, and the whole world is clamoring about locally grown this and that, I find that I rarely keep any canned foods in the house, with the exception of tuna and cat food (sometimes they seem interchangeable if my wife buys flaked, store brand tuna).

I actually feel kind of grossed out by canned foods now. I remember Fraser Farm meatballs and gravy as a kid. Warm them up and pour over fries, delish. However, I saw them at a store a few months ago and bought them to try again for the first time in 20 years, and when I cracked the can, I realized that I had suppressed the memory of them, because there was a nice thick layer of congealed beef fat sitting on the top of the food in the can. Ugh.

I also used to love Chef Boyardee Ravioli. I still can tolerate it as a very occasional trip down memory lane, and even enjoy it somewhat with a nice cold can of Pepsi (which was my parents soft drink of choice growing up). However, my wife enjoys them right out of the can which makes me kind of gaggy and puts me off the bowl I've warmed up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I used to eat Ravioli and Spaghetti Os from the can too. Honestly now I don't eat anything from cans anymore, apart from soup once in a while (but the few I've tried were nasty) and beans.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yeah, no... call me a snob but I will not eat anything from a can or drink from the can or bottle.
    Why?
    Because I will most likely not die of starvation/thirst while I properly prepare food and sit down and enjoy it with family or friends... To me eating is not about stuffing my face, it's about enjoyment.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I just eat beans, grapefruit and pineapple from the can.
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »
    I just eat beans, grapefruit and pineapple from the can.

grapefuit comes in cans?
  • beaky1980
    beaky1980 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I used to eat Ravioli and Spaghetti Os from the can too. Honestly now I don't eat anything from cans anymore, apart from soup once in a while (but the few I've tried were nasty) and beans.

I totally forgot the spaghetti o's and ravioli. I don't think those actually were real meatballs or real hot dogs, or and sort of real meat in those products. Not from a can, but I used to eat dry ramen noodles, no seasoning.
  • beaky1980
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Yeah, no... call me a snob but I will not eat anything from a can or drink from the can or bottle.
    Why?
    Because I will most likely not die of starvation/thirst while I properly prepare food and sit down and enjoy it with family or friends... To me eating is not about stuffing my face, it's about enjoyment.
    Just honestly curious, but what about when you were younger? I don't eat the stuff I've mentioned now, but when I was younger and didn't know any better I did. :)
  • beaky1980
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    Nutella-on-Spoon.jpg

This, yes. Or peanut butter. At least half a jar with a spoon. No wonder I was so overweight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Sweet corn. I just use the lid to drain excess liquid off, sprinkle with salt and pepper and dig in.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    beaky1980 wrote: »
    Nutella-on-Spoon.jpg

This, yes. Or peanut butter. At least half a jar with a spoon. No wonder I was so overweight.

Ok, but to be fair, that's a jar.
  • beaky1980
    Options
    Nutella-on-Spoon.jpg

That's ok too.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nutella-on-Spoon.jpg

That's ok too.
    Fair enough *grabs spoon*

• andrikosDE
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Why?
    Just honestly curious, but what about when you were younger? I don't eat the stuff I've mentioned now, but when I was younger and didn't know any better I did. :)

Truthfully no.
    I was fortunate to grow up in a very rich food culture that celebrates freshness and seasonality of ingredients.

I never eat anything out of a can/jar etc. without heavily modifying it.
    Tuna for example, at the very minimum I'll add finely chopped onion, parsley, EVOO, lemon, black pepper and hot sauce to say I "ate tuna out of the can".
    canned pineapple, I'll make a fruit salad with a bunch of stuff and top it with creme freche.
    Even in the rare occasion that I'll make frozen pizzas for the kids, I load them with a variety of caramelized onions, mushrooms, roasted peppers, jalapenos, kalamata olives, fresh tomatoes (all squeezed of their juices), parmesan and fresh mozzarella...
    What can I say... for me food is a celebration.
  • andrikosDE
    edited August 2015
    Options

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Why?
    Enjoyment to everyone is subjective though. Many drink wine to whom it may be enjoyment, while others detest it and would rather drink hard liquor.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• andrikosDE
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why?
    Enjoyment to everyone is subjective though. Many drink wine to whom it may be enjoyment, while others detest it and would rather drink hard liquor.

I love me a nice single malt late at night... ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah... For example, the ice cream I enjoy the most is the one I eat with a spoon in my kitchen. Because I'm not doing anything else, I can fully enjoy every bite.

And we all have different tastes. When I was eating raviolis out of the can, it was very satisfying to me. Besides, I personally enjoy my food more if I'm eating it alone in peace than with family while having to participate in a conversation.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Mackerel in tomato sauce

Mackerel_tomato_sauce.jpg
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Nutella-on-Spoon.jpg

Its in a jar and yeah I can eat this by the spoonful. My papa used to buy us our own small jar every Christmas. :)