Looks like 4 months for my last 20lbs
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    6 months
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends how aggressive your goal is too. But 6 months sounds about right (that got me 2 pounds from my goal). I can't seem to be able to see the reports from more than a year ago.

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am 2.6 pounds from my goal of 185. I am currently at 187.6 and started at 337 back in December. It took me from July 6th until today to lose 20 pounds.

I eat 1300 calories a day. I have a pretty big deficit since I am 6'5. I don't exercise because I have a neurological disease and am disabled, however I will be doing some sort of resistance training when I hit maintenance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I am 2.6 pounds from my goal of 185. I am currently at 187.6 and started at 337 back in December. It took me from July 6th until today to lose 20 pounds.

I eat 1300 calories a day. I have a pretty big deficit since I am 6'5. I don't exercise because I have a neurological disease and am disabled, however I will be doing some sort of resistance training when I hit maintenance.

OMG no!

I sincerely hope you are under strict medical supervision

That is not healthy
  • Francl27
    Options

You must have lost so much muscle. It's sad.
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Personally want to congratulate you on your awesome success. Bravo!
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Personally want to congratulate you on your awesome success. Bravo!

Please don't
    That's a terribly unhealthy rate of loss
    It's like congratulating someone for putting their health at risk
    It's sad
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Way to be negative! The man has lost an incredible 150 lbs in 9 months, that's a little over 4 lbs/week. I say WELL DONE!

Also, loss of lean mass is normal to a certain degree, I believe 20-25% of weight loss being lean mass, is considered a normal range. You don't know what kind of diet he was on, some well crafted low calorie diets can have adequate protein and nutrition to limit loss of lean mass. But some WILL be lost. It is NORMAL.

The most important thing he has achieved is reducing his risk of obesity related conditions. That, far outweighs any concerns about lean mass loss. He already said he'll be starting resistance training when he gets to maintenance. So, he'll be rebuilding some of his lost muscle or strengthening his current muscle mass and he's in a much better place to be doing this now that he's lighter.
  • Sued0nim
    edited August 2015
    Options

Way to be negative! The man has lost an incredible 150 lbs in 9 months, that's a little over 4 lbs/week. I say WELL DONE!

Also, loss of lean mass is normal to a certain degree, I believe 20-25% of weight loss being lean mass, is considered a normal range. You don't know what kind of diet he was on, some well crafted low calorie diets can have adequate protein and nutrition to limit loss of lean mass. But some WILL be lost. It is NORMAL.

The most important thing he has achieved is reducing his risk of obesity related conditions. That, far outweighs any concerns about lean mass loss. He already said he'll be starting resistance training when he gets to maintenance. So, he'll be rebuilding some of his lost muscle or strengthening his current muscle mass and he's in a much better place to be doing this now that he's lighter.

It's an incredible loss but unfortunately at a somewhat dangerous rate and raises serious concerns. Resistance training should be commenced at the start of the weight loss programme to preserve as much LBM as possible as you lose weight, clearly adapted for morbidly obese

Even medically supervised VLCD are necessarily short term

There are many studies to this affect: see risk of Gallstones in morbidly Obese and rapid weight loss (IIRC over 3.3 lbs a week = 77% risk , Leptin issues and hormonal imbalance with rapid weight loss and more ...

This is an excellent post which puts it in consumer friendly speak by @Faithful_Chosen in response to do I eat back exercise calories

It's long, but consumer friendly
    Now, especially newbies have a tendency to up the cardio and decrease the food to make a bigger deficit, assuming they will lose faster--and they might! I am not gonna sit here and say that you won't lose more. It's probably not going to show up on the scale due to water weight, but they will lose more. The question is: at what price? And what are they losing?

The MyFitnessPal method (built in deficit based on your numbers, especially plus purposeful exercise) is designed to steadily lose fat and preserving as much muscle as possible. You see, there is a (science proven) limit to how much fat a body can convert into usable energy during any period of time. If you go over that limit, it turns to muscle for fuel instead. You will always get a little bit of muscle tissue loss when eating at a deficit, but if you undereat and up the cardio (or even strength training!) like I see a lot of people on here do, you are forcing your body to canibalize its muscle tissue on top of the max level of fat it can burn. Not to mention that meeting your macro and micro nutrient goals with this method is virtually impossible, creating massive hormone imbalances (leptine, for example) and vitamins and mineral deficits.

The long term effects of crash dieting and deprivation dieting (which is basically what happens when you become one of the people who net in the low hundreds to negatives day after day for an extended period of time) can be really severe. Basically, you are systematically starving yourself, after all. The results tend to be this (one example, hypothetical you):

- your body burns fat, then muscle tissue to sustain itself. You become weaker and sore. You also start having cravings because your brain is sending out warning signs: 'I am starving! Feed me!'. So, you either binge and up your overall net a little, or you persevere and pat yourself on the back for a job well done! You wanted lots of fatty food, but you fed it a celery stick instead. Sadly, your whole timeline congratulates you on your willpower. You start to wonder, though, why your willpower is not being rewarded! The scale doesn't budge! You fail to realize it's because of water weight due to too much exercise and the body's inability to recover due to a lack of nurishment. The solution is often to eat even less and work out even more to get the scale to move.

- the body is further unable to sustain. It changed the body's chemistry to preserve all it can--after all, it needs to protect vital organs from becoming affected and keep you going so you can hunt and gather for food! At this stage, the body becomes its own worst enemy: it no longer tells you you are starving so you can make a last ditch effort to get food. You think you are fine on 1000 calories a day, burning 1200, because your body shows no signs of hunger anymore, but basically, the little neutrients you are providing your body with get sucked towards your vital organs, leaving nothing for the rest. You become more tired, and cranky, and your muscles no longer recover from all the stress you put them through working out. As a result, they break down even faster and hold on to even more water to prevent that breakdown from affecting your ability to throw a spear at a prey animal (hey, I can't help it your body still thinks we are living in caves!). The scale drops oh so slowly--if at all--but meanwhile you do see you are slimming down! Your measurements are less! MyFitnessPal celebrates! 'Hurray! The weight must come off in a 'woosh' soon now! Keep doing what you are doing!'. Note that (thankfully) many people drop out at this stage. The psychological burden becomes too great, they feel *kitten*, and life isn't fun anymore. They stop dieting, start binging, and gain even more weight. The jojo'ing has begun.

- you keep doing what you were doing. We are a few months in now. You develop headaches, fatigue, and you start finding more and more hair on your pillow in the morning. In fact, you start finding hair everywhere. You also get hungry again, not in a way that makes you binge but a sort of steady nagging: a gentle reminder that time is running out. Fail to meet it (MyFitnessPal people pat your back when you tell them you went to bed early instead of having more food) and slowly, your body gives up its protective hold on more systems. You can survive without full function to certain organs, so your body throws them to the wolves: nutrients go towards your brain, heart, and lungs. Pretty much all other organs start running at half capacity. You hold on to more toxins, which start chipping away at your system, and your ability to process food (get nutrients out of them) suffers greatly, so you are truly starving now. This is the point where the weight starts coming off, and pretty quickly, too, usually. A big whoosh! (MyFitnessPal people cheer in the distance). What you are really seeing is your body giving up on protecting muscle tissue completely: the water weight falls away, showing you that you actually did lose a lot of fat and muscle tissue. More cheering! It must be working! Keep at it! Work harder! Eat less!

- now you are in serious *kitten*! Your organs are not keeping up, your muscles are breaking down, and the body has to start looking elsewhere for fuel: your organs and the more vital muscles, including your heart. At this point, your nails will become brittle and start falling out. Your hair falls out. Your period stops. You experience bouts of nausea and muscle weakness. You might find yourself pulling into a run and suddenly blacking out. You still function, but on the inside you are shutting down.

From here on out, it all depends on if you start eating again and stop exercising or not. If you don't, you can end up killing yourself. If you do, it is a long road to recovery, sometimes lasting years and it sometimes includes permanent damage to the function of certain organs, especially the liver and kidneys. Worst of all, this entire crash diet hasn't taught you how to sustain weight loss, so as soon as you crash and burn, the weight flies back on! And trust me, it takes a fraction of the time it took to lose it to gain it back.

I am not saying this to frighten you (well, I am a little), but as a nurse, you should be aware of the ramifications of crash dieting. Those of us that do realize the effects therefor recommend you lose weight slowly, at a sustainable rate that gives you the best ratio of fat loss vs. muscle loss. Stick to your MyFitnessPal calculated net, take the time, eat back your true exercise calories (which is probably 50 to 75 percent of your machine or database given calories), and learn how to eat (and what to eat) for weight loss you can maintain for years to come. It might not go as fast, but you will be able to see it on the scale, and best of all, it will be safe. That is my very long winded answer to 'why' you should eat back exercise calories.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am 2.1 pounds from my goal of 128. It has taken 165 days to lose 17 pounds. I don't feel like I am eating in a way that I couldn't maintain and I am still very gradually losing. I am doing it slowly and am not suffering one bit.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    10 weeks at the least I would say, 20 weeks is better though
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think it took me about 8-9 months.

ETA: Actually I'm looking again now and I think it may have taken longer. Maybe a year. I lost the first 10 very fast. I'm a slow poke. That's okay though because I'm happy with my body composition and think lifting and slow loss helped with that.
  • jswede1149
    jswede1149 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to lose 18. I've lost 8 of the 18 in the last two weeks -- I joined the site two weeks ago. I hope to lose the last 10 within the next 120 days.
  • Francl27
    Options

Sure, to get out of the obesity range. But he went way beyond that...
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's an incredible loss but unfortunately at a somewhat dangerous rate and raises serious concerns. Resistance training should be commenced at the start of the weight loss programme to preserve as much LBM as possible as you lose weight, clearly adapted for morbidly obese

Even medically supervised VLCD are necessarily short term

There are many studies to this affect: see risk of Gallstones in morbidly Obese and rapid weight loss (IIRC over 3.3 lbs a week = 77% risk , Leptin issues and hormonal imbalance with rapid weight loss and more ...

This is an excellent post which puts it in consumer friendly speak by @Faithful_Chosen in response to do I eat back exercise calories

It's long, but consumer friendly
    Now, especially newbies have a tendency to up the cardio and decrease the food to make a bigger deficit, assuming they will lose faster--and they might! I am not gonna sit here and say that you won't lose more. It's probably not going to show up on the scale due to water weight, but they will lose more. The question is: at what price? And what are they losing?

The MyFitnessPal method (built in deficit based on your numbers, especially plus purposeful exercise) is designed to steadily lose fat and preserving as much muscle as possible. You see, there is a (science proven) limit to how much fat a body can convert into usable energy during any period of time. If you go over that limit, it turns to muscle for fuel instead. You will always get a little bit of muscle tissue loss when eating at a deficit, but if you undereat and up the cardio (or even strength training!) like I see a lot of people on here do, you are forcing your body to canibalize its muscle tissue on top of the max level of fat it can burn. Not to mention that meeting your macro and micro nutrient goals with this method is virtually impossible, creating massive hormone imbalances (leptine, for example) and vitamins and mineral deficits.

The long term effects of crash dieting and deprivation dieting (which is basically what happens when you become one of the people who net in the low hundreds to negatives day after day for an extended period of time) can be really severe. Basically, you are systematically starving yourself, after all. The results tend to be this (one example, hypothetical you):

- your body burns fat, then muscle tissue to sustain itself. You become weaker and sore. You also start having cravings because your brain is sending out warning signs: 'I am starving! Feed me!'. So, you either binge and up your overall net a little, or you persevere and pat yourself on the back for a job well done! You wanted lots of fatty food, but you fed it a celery stick instead. Sadly, your whole timeline congratulates you on your willpower. You start to wonder, though, why your willpower is not being rewarded! The scale doesn't budge! You fail to realize it's because of water weight due to too much exercise and the body's inability to recover due to a lack of nurishment. The solution is often to eat even less and work out even more to get the scale to move.

- the body is further unable to sustain. It changed the body's chemistry to preserve all it can--after all, it needs to protect vital organs from becoming affected and keep you going so you can hunt and gather for food! At this stage, the body becomes its own worst enemy: it no longer tells you you are starving so you can make a last ditch effort to get food. You think you are fine on 1000 calories a day, burning 1200, because your body shows no signs of hunger anymore, but basically, the little neutrients you are providing your body with get sucked towards your vital organs, leaving nothing for the rest. You become more tired, and cranky, and your muscles no longer recover from all the stress you put them through working out. As a result, they break down even faster and hold on to even more water to prevent that breakdown from affecting your ability to throw a spear at a prey animal (hey, I can't help it your body still thinks we are living in caves!). The scale drops oh so slowly--if at all--but meanwhile you do see you are slimming down! Your measurements are less! MyFitnessPal celebrates! 'Hurray! The weight must come off in a 'woosh' soon now! Keep doing what you are doing!'. Note that (thankfully) many people drop out at this stage. The psychological burden becomes too great, they feel *kitten*, and life isn't fun anymore. They stop dieting, start binging, and gain even more weight. The jojo'ing has begun.

- you keep doing what you were doing. We are a few months in now. You develop headaches, fatigue, and you start finding more and more hair on your pillow in the morning. In fact, you start finding hair everywhere. You also get hungry again, not in a way that makes you binge but a sort of steady nagging: a gentle reminder that time is running out. Fail to meet it (MyFitnessPal people pat your back when you tell them you went to bed early instead of having more food) and slowly, your body gives up its protective hold on more systems. You can survive without full function to certain organs, so your body throws them to the wolves: nutrients go towards your brain, heart, and lungs. Pretty much all other organs start running at half capacity. You hold on to more toxins, which start chipping away at your system, and your ability to process food (get nutrients out of them) suffers greatly, so you are truly starving now. This is the point where the weight starts coming off, and pretty quickly, too, usually. A big whoosh! (MyFitnessPal people cheer in the distance). What you are really seeing is your body giving up on protecting muscle tissue completely: the water weight falls away, showing you that you actually did lose a lot of fat and muscle tissue. More cheering! It must be working! Keep at it! Work harder! Eat less!

- now you are in serious *kitten*! Your organs are not keeping up, your muscles are breaking down, and the body has to start looking elsewhere for fuel: your organs and the more vital muscles, including your heart. At this point, your nails will become brittle and start falling out. Your hair falls out. Your period stops. You experience bouts of nausea and muscle weakness. You might find yourself pulling into a run and suddenly blacking out. You still function, but on the inside you are shutting down.

From here on out, it all depends on if you start eating again and stop exercising or not. If you don't, you can end up killing yourself. If you do, it is a long road to recovery, sometimes lasting years and it sometimes includes permanent damage to the function of certain organs, especially the liver and kidneys. Worst of all, this entire crash diet hasn't taught you how to sustain weight loss, so as soon as you crash and burn, the weight flies back on! And trust me, it takes a fraction of the time it took to lose it to gain it back.

I am not saying this to frighten you (well, I am a little), but as a nurse, you should be aware of the ramifications of crash dieting. Those of us that do realize the effects therefor recommend you lose weight slowly, at a sustainable rate that gives you the best ratio of fat loss vs. muscle loss. Stick to your MyFitnessPal calculated net, take the time, eat back your true exercise calories (which is probably 50 to 75 percent of your machine or database given calories), and learn how to eat (and what to eat) for weight loss you can maintain for years to come. It might not go as fast, but you will be able to see it on the scale, and best of all, it will be safe. That is my very long winded answer to 'why' you should eat back exercise calories.

Actually, NO, medically supervised VLCDs can be long term as well. And contrary to what Faithful_Chosen has written from your post, which are just a bunch of what ifs with no scientific basis, here are a number of scientific studies that show the efficacy and safety of VLCDs.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2613403 - at least 5 months
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9226488 - 28 months
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7595165 - 64 weeks (in this one they say 71% of weight loss was fat)
    https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2008/188/6/safe-year-long-use-very-low-calorie-diet-treatment-severe-obesity - 1 year

In the 3rd link, they found 71% of weight loss was fat. This disproves the previous assertion that previous poster duddysdad MUST have lost 'too much' muscle. We don't know that. He may very well have lost a normal amount. And let's keep in mind that a number of these VLCDs are way lower than the 1300 that duddysdad was taking. I say again, well done.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    May I just interject here and say that I was talking about people on here deciding that if they eat as little as possible and workout as much as they can, they will lose weight fast and not consider the ramifications? I, in no way, shape, or form spoke about medically supervised VLCD, because those are designed specifically to prevent all the negative effects I spoke of and maintain as much muscle as possible. That is why they usually consist of meal replacement bars, soups, or a very restrictive diet of foodstuffs capable of providing all the nutrients needed even with such a low calorie count! They are also usually prescribed to people struggling with morbid obesity, so it makes sense that they would lose more fat than muscle in the beginning at least. But even then, working out to the effect of negative netting is not recommended in any VLCD I am aware of.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    We'll find out. My goal says ~20 weeks, or ~5 months.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    4 months minus 4 days (with 2 more pounds lost since then, but not updated because 130 is my maintenance ceiling)

wdvfv9pwlqsm.png

em5e6d46imzh.png

What I did to achieve it: ate at a deficit. Well, most days. I frequently ate at maintenance. Widened that deficit with running, walking, calisthenics, yoga, and strength training.

The goal is not to lose quickly, but rather to keep as much muscle mass as possible. I didn't at the beginning and as a result, I look heavier than other 5'6" 128-lb women.