List of foods with highest Protein Calorie Percentage

Options
andrikosDE
andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Here's a list of 100 (so far) foods that I compiled.
I wanted to see which food contains the highest Protein calories as related its the total caloric content.
The columns are as follows:
A. Food (per 100g serving)
B. Protein %
C. Carb %
D. Fat %
E. Total calories of 100g serving

F. Protein Quality score as taken from the excellent nutritiondata.self.com site. This is their definition of PQ score:

"PROTEIN QUALITY
Protein quality is dependent on having all the essential amino acids in the proper proportions. If one or more amino acid is not present in sufficient amounts, the protein in your diet is considered incomplete.

Each spoke on the Protein Quality graph represents one of the nine essential amino acids, and the graph shows how close the protein in your diet is to the optimal distribution of amino acids recommended by the Institute of Medicine's Food and Nutrition Board.

8rt8q5zooypi.jpg
This is the cottage cheese amino acid makeup, the current king of this list.

An Amino Acid Score of 100 or higher indicates a complete or high-quality protein. If the Amino Acid Score is less than 100, a link is provided to complementary sources of protein. By combining complementary proteins, you may be able to increase the overall quality of the protein you consume."

G. Completeness Score. This is again taken from the nutritiondata.self.com site. This is their definition of it:
"NUTRIENT BALANCE INDICATOR™
This symbol offers a visual representation of a food's nutritional strengths and weaknesses, with each spoke representing a different nutrient. The spoke for dietary fiber is colored green, protein is blue, vitamins are purple, minerals are white, and yellow represents a group of commonly overconsumed nutrients: saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium.

u96j31cok6b4.jpg
This is the completeness score of Asparagus, the current king of our list.

A Completeness Score between 0 and 100 is a relative indication of how complete the food is with respect to these nutrients. Although few (if any) individual foods provide all the essential nutrients, the Nutrient Balance Indicator and Completeness Score can help you construct meals that are nutritionally balanced and complete."

And finally,
H. Percentage of Protein calories / total calories. The list ranked from highest % to lowest. Did you know that Broccoli was a P%cal powerhouse? At 54.2% of its calories coming from protein, it ranks as the highest veggie on this list.

I'll be updating the list with more foods, feel free to suggest any that you'd like.

Keep in mind that the information in disseminated in 100g servings of the food (per EU standard) rather than the asinine U.S. serving sizes (oz, tsp, cups, ladles, buckets etc... ;). The EU standard makes total sense to my engineering mind.

On to the charts!

565uienjmrs4.jpg
kr1q41y35pm7.jpg
c6ptn2z2t7to.jpg

Replies

• andrikosDE
    Options
    Well, I managed to grow the list to a ponderous 185 foods! :smiley:
    I also added a column to improve sortability.

k0ccvzijdy4u.jpg
    ixqqv8sj51l6.jpg
    zh0mvxtli7j1.jpg
    9s9jc9elscvz.jpg

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Take note people - NUTS ARE NOT A GOOD SOURCE OF PROTEIN. Pizza is better. I swear next time people mention nuts in those threads, I'll mention pizza.

This should be stickied.

And now I need to Google Harzer cheese.

There's no mention of Greek yogurt though?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Wow, now this is dedication! Thanks for this :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    This list makes me sad. I HATE seafood with a passion. I've tried to like it, but I simply can't stomach it. I wish I liked seafood. It would make hitting protein goals so much easier.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This list makes me sad. I HATE seafood with a passion. I've tried to like it, but I simply can't stomach it. I wish I liked seafood. It would make hitting protein goals so much easier.

What do you hate about it? Be specific. There is a huge variety of seafood out there from sashimi to white fish to red fish to crustaceans to caviar to mollusks to fresh vs. canned, etc.
  • andrikosDE
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This should be stickied.

1. Thanks
    2. I live in Germany where Harzer käse or Handkäse or Talerkäse are readily available. It's not for everyone, but since I'm a huge cheese fan I eat it very often. I'm rounding up some knowledge to start making it soon. It definitely sounds easier than brewing beer. ;)
    3. Good grief and I'm Greek ;) I'll post it on my next version of the list. FYI it's at 67.8% Protein calories.
  • Francl27
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

This should be stickied.

1. Thanks
    2. I live in Germany where Harzer käse or Handkäse or Talerkäse are readily available. It's not for everyone, but since I'm a huge cheese fan I eat it very often. I'm rounding up some knowledge to start making it soon. It definitely sounds easier than brewing beer. ;)
    3. Good grief and I'm Greek ;) I'll post it on my next version of the list. FYI it's at 67.8% Protein calories.

Well I guess it depends on the % of fat in the yogurt too.

But solid post!
  • andrikosDE
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Foods from each group with highest Protein mass per 100g:

1) Overall king: PB2 at a WHOPPING 41.7 grams of Protein (44.4P%Cal)
    2) Dairy: Parmesan at 36g (36.7P%Cal)
    3) Legumes: Soy beans at 35.9g (32.2P%Cal)
    4) Meat: Venison at 30.2g (76.5P%Cal)
    5) Seafood: Lobster at 26.4g (73.9P%Cal)
    6) Nuts: Almonds at 21.1g (13.7P%Cal)
    7) Seeds: Sunflower seeds at 21g (13.6P%Cal)
    8) Grain: Oats at 17g (17.5P%Cal)
    9) Vegetable: Garlic at 6g (16.1P%Cal)
    10) Fruit: Guava at 3g (17.6P%Cal)
    11) Mushrooms: ~All at 3g (white (54.5P%Cal)

• agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Awesome list.
    Thank you.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options

I agree. I am allergic to shellfish and (I suspect) allergic to anchovies and possibly other fishes, so I just avoid all fish.

I make up for it by living on eggs. Mmm. Eggs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now harzer cheese is added to my food bucket list.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Could you post this on Google Drive and link it? Then people can filter, browse, and sort at their leisure.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love this list! Thank you :)
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @Francl27 I still like nuts especially for diabetes control as the combination of carb/protein/fat means a pretty ideal absorption of calories. No spikes. But I'll take pizza too.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Can octapus has 25 grams sardines has half that great snacks also
  • Francl27
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Foods from each group with highest Protein mass per 100g:

1) Overall king: PB2 at a WHOPPING 41.7 grams of Protein (44.4P%Cal)
    2) Dairy: Parmesan at 36g (36.7P%Cal)
    3) Legumes: Soy beans at 35.9g (32.2P%Cal)
    4) Meat: Venison at 30.2g (76.5P%Cal)
    5) Seafood: Lobster at 26.4g (73.9P%Cal)
    6) Nuts: Almonds at 21.1g (13.7P%Cal)
    7) Seeds: Sunflower seeds at 21g (13.6P%Cal)
    8) Grain: Oats at 17g (17.5P%Cal)
    9) Vegetable: Garlic at 6g (16.1P%Cal)
    10) Fruit: Guava at 3g (17.6P%Cal)
    11) Mushrooms: ~All at 3g (white (54.5P%Cal)

Awesome.

Guess I need to buy more PB2.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This is great!

I'd love to see fiber, too. That's what makes nuts and quinoa and stuff worth it for me: the protein + the fiber. Thanks for this!
  • andrikosDE
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Could you post this on Google Drive and link it? Then people can filter, browse, and sort at their leisure.

I will once I finish the list. It'll be a couple more days...
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Great information. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.