People Problem

Options
I've been trying to maintain my weight for about 2 months now. Controversially I am refusing to weigh as well during this time. Why? I need to prove to myself that my habits are permanent now. That I have the self control I need to make this permanent. I check my trousers (pants) every time I put them on to ensure there is still that "extra" room to which I have become accustom to in them. If that wasn't the case I would probably weigh and get back into my old routine.

So far so good. I have enjoyed being able to eat pizza, chocolate and crisps again. Not that I ever banned them but they were carefully controlled in my calorie counting. Have I over indulged? Of course! On balance though I feel as though I haven't moved very much in terms of weight. My clothes still fit as before. I can still feel all those new bones in my body that I gained in the past year.

My other half finds it mind blowing that a 365 pound man can drop to 175 pounds and not have to worry about he way he eats going forward. The truth is I do worry about it, every day, every meal and every time I put on clothes. I'm happy with this though. I have replaced total indifference to my excessive consumption to a heightened awareness of what I am doing to my body.

I tend to eat twice a day with a few little snacks just because of my lifestyle now. If I do overindulge often it's at breakfast and then I just end up having an evening meal later. If I do pick at sweets or crisps that people have around me then I just let it wash over me. I have a few of them now and not whole bag so I need to forgive myself these treats every now and again.

I still refuse to participate in cake or cookie consumption in work. I don't see any point in it. If it's someone's birthday then I'll join in but I'll not be eating your cake because you came in via a supermarket and they have massive boxes of cakes on offer and you wanted one but didn't want to indulge alone so now you are fattening the whole office up to make you feel better. I refuse to play the game of people telling me what I should or shouldn't eat.

People will do this! I'd lost 10 stone when sat at my desk eating crisps (low fat ones) and a manager about 3 or 4 stone heavier than me said "you shouldn't be eating those". I think looking at you my friend it is I that should be dishing out the advice about who can eat what! Conversely people will say "oh go on you can have one", I'm sorry I wasn't aware that the NHS outsourced my dietician to being you? Is this now like Alcoholics Anonymous? Have I got you as my mentor? Do I ring you at 3am crying about the Jaffa cakes calling me from the kitchen cupboard? Will we be found the two of us in a cardboard box down an alleyway with empty multipacks of crisps strewn across the floor if we fall off the wagon and have one too many biscuits?

All of this leads me nearly to the point of this post. The biggest problem in your life and success at weight loss is other people. A friend, parent, partner or child who is not supportive of your goals is like dragging a heavy rock on a marathon. Talk to them. I am not suggesting you cut them out of your life but just make it clear how you feel. Tell them how badly you want to change and how they can support you. Communication is king. A supportive partner in this fight can make such a huge difference.

I will return to daily logging I am sure, but for now I need to relax a little. 18 months of "dieting" has awakened a need to just stop counting for a little bit. I don't intend to go mad and I'll hold my hands up and tell you all that I am still learning. I know I'll eat what I buy so I buy smaller or not at all. No multipacks for me! BOGOF deals stay on the supermarket shelf. It's not a perfect life but it is my life.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bravo.

Too true about free advice. Weight gain and loss is such a thing, I think people project all their hang ups on the biggest loser. Kind of ironic. What they should do is ask for tips.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Word. I had to take a break from the weight room because some dude had advice for me every. single. time. It got really old. I'd love to get to a point of no tracking, but I'm not sure I can be "mindful" without it.
  • Jztime
    Jztime Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    Word. I had to take a break from the weight room because some dude had advice for me every. single. time. It got really old. I'd love to get to a point of no tracking, but I'm not sure I can be "mindful" without it.

I'm not sure I can yet but I need to give this a go! Good luck on your journey.
  • Jztime
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Bravo.

Too true about free advice. Weight gain and loss is such a thing, I think people project all their hang ups on the biggest loser. Kind of ironic. What they should do is ask for tips.

I don't even want to have them ask for tips. It's nice if people do but why can't people just take on the advice "if you haven't got anything positive to say, then don't say anything at all"?
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's actually a nice inspiration for me to think that I can also eventually "break" from the obsessive counting for a while. You seem to be doing really well just trying to be mindful/aware. It's funny that your SO views your new habits as "not having to worry" when you feel like you think about it all the time.

Congrats on reaching your goals and on finding a maintenance plan that's working for you. Good luck!
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Great post, agreed 100%. Kudos on a job well done!
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Jztime wrote: »

All of this leads me nearly to the point of this post. The biggest problem in your life and success at weight loss is other people.

Nah. I am my biggest problem. They're just accidental teachers revealing what I still have yet to learn. I decide how those "helpful" suggestions make me feel. It's disastrous to allow myself to become angry. I am very good at self sabotage.

Congratulations on a job well done. Stay strong! :)

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

All of this leads me nearly to the point of this post. The biggest problem in your life and success at weight loss is other people.

Nah. I am my biggest problem. They're just accidental teachers revealing what I still have yet to learn. I decide how those "helpful" suggestions make me feel. It's disastrous to allow myself to become angry. I am very good at self sabotage.

Congratulations on a job well done. Stay strong! :)

I completely agree with this-if I let those people drag my efforts down, that is my fault. No excuses. I am the one in control of my weight and weight loss.

But congrats on doing a fantastic job with your loss! You should be proud :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

No, it isn't. I'm an adult. I'm responsible for my choices. I don't get to blame my poor choices on other people.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't completely agree with this either. People eat cake, it is polite to offer some to others. It's up for me to decide if I can have it that day.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've spent my entire adult life ignoring unsolicited advice, it is worth what you pay for it. I have no trouble ignoring those people and have no need for their support. Each of us are on a solo journey when it comes to most things.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've had people get downright hostile when I turned down their cake. I mollified them by turning it in to a "true confessions" episode when I explained in detail why I could not eat cake when they wanted me to. But should I have to bare my soul for others to "get it"?
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    After I had lost 101 pounds total I took a break from counting for about a year. I'm still within 3 pounds of the 101 pound goal, so I am starting to count again to shed the last few. Totally agree with you on the other people thing though, at my work birthday lunches are mandatory for ALL staff! How crazy is that??
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No, it isn't. I'm an adult. I'm responsible for my choices. I don't get to blame my poor choices on other people.

I don't think Jztime is letting other people make his choices at all. He's only justifiably irritated that other people believe they have a right to say anything whatsoever about those choices.

Jztime, good for you!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm glad you have something that works for you. I'm one of those people who don't rely on other people to help me with weight loss. Yes, I have a support system, but if I can't do this on my own, what's the point of even trying? If other people are affecting you, perhaps you need to take a step back and reevaluate the dependency you have.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If OP had said, "Other people are your biggest problem in weight loss" and left it at that, I would agree that he needs to take responsibility for his own weight. However, he immediately followed it with his actions to rectify how much say other people have in his eating choices.

Other people/social situations were/are my biggest struggle. I don't think they are responsible for my actions. I do think my own shortcomings and issues with food are greatly affected by how pushy other people can be with food. And people can be pushy, to the point of rude. I can either say, "poor me" and let others determine how much I eat, or I can do something about it. It seems to me like OP has done something about it.
  • Jztime
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »

I don't think Jztime is letting other people make his choices at all. He's only justifiably irritated that other people believe they have a right to say anything whatsoever about those choices.

Jztime, good for you!

Thank you, that is entirely my point. It worries me when we agree with those who don't have weight problems about being an adult and makes choices. Often for a lot of us it isn't a simple as just having a weight problem there is an awful lot going on in the background. My depression can be at the whim of other people's words and actions. That leads me to eat. Many other people suffer from things that cause them to eat or behave in other ways that are unhelpful.

Did you know that if there is a suicide of a woman aged 25 on the news we will see an increase in suicides for women in that age group? More worryingly is there becomes an increase in single driver fatalities of the same age group. Those who want to protect their families from them taking their own lives. That we are "all adults" completely ignores that we are social animals dependent upon the action and behaviours of one another.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Jztime, good for you!
    Being irritated that someone comments hardly makes those comments the "biggest problem in your life and success at weight loss."
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Jztime, good for you!

Thank you, that is entirely my point. It worries me when we agree with those who don't have weight problems about being an adult and makes choices. Often for a lot of us it isn't a simple as just having a weight problem there is an awful lot going on in the background. My depression can be at the whim of other people's words and actions. That leads me to eat. Many other people suffer from things that cause them to eat or behave in other ways that are unhelpful.

Did you know that if there is a suicide of a woman aged 25 on the news we will see an increase in suicides for women in that age group? More worryingly is there becomes an increase in single driver fatalities of the same age group. Those who want to protect their families from them taking their own lives. That we are "all adults" completely ignores that we are social animals dependent upon the action and behaviours of one another.
    That's a cop out, pure and simple. My eating choices aren't dependent on the actions and behaviors of others. If yours are, that's your issue.

• Jztime
    Options

Jztime, good for you!

That's a cop out, pure and simple. My eating choices aren't dependent on the actions and behaviors of others. If yours are, that's your issue.

Nothing is "one size fits all". Why so hostile?