300 kettlebell swings a day?

Options
Has anyone ever done this challenge?

I recently started doing kettlebells regularly, and came across this challenge when browsing workouts. Any thoughts?

Replies

• brad837
    brad837 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've done the 10,000 Swing challenge 4 times over the past year and a 1/2. This challenge is completed by doing 500 Swings per day/workout.
    It's tough but doable... Each time I've done it, I have lost weight, inches and fat. Yet gained strength at the same time.

Go for it!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Those are the results I am hoping for!

I was actually debating doing 300/ day versus the 10,000, figuring that with the latter I might take a rest day here and there, but I decided to start out with the smaller number to begin with. I can always do more the second time around, right?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a fan of any of these "challenges" (squats, swings, etc) because they focus way too much on one particular movement, and you're not getting a great overall workout. And kettlebell swings are something that I've noticed MOST people do incorrectly, so to do 300 a day seems like it would be setting people up for possible injuries with questionable benefit. JMO.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why? What do you want to achieve? You can do a lot more with kettlebells than just swings, so rather look at a good program - Sarah Lurie has great dvd's - and those are a lot better than mindlessly swinging a kettlebell for hours.....
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    I wholeheartedly disagree with all of this.

First of all, kettlebell swings are a total body workout. And I do appreciate that most people do them incorrectly, but I know what to do and what not to do.

And second of all, 300 reps a day doesn't take hours and hours, and it's certainly not mindless. I can knock out 100 reps in less than 5 minutes, with plenty of rest between sets of 25. Then a few hours later I do my next set of 100.

I appreciate you playing devil's advocate, but I was hoping to hear from those that have actually done this, not those who haven't and want to talk me out of it.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

First of all, kettlebell swings are a total body workout. And I do appreciate that most people do them incorrectly, but I know what to do and what not to do.

And second of all, 300 reps a day doesn't take hours and hours, and it's certainly not mindless. I can knock out 100 reps in less than 5 minutes, with plenty of rest between sets of 25. Then a few hours later I do my next set of 100.

I appreciate you playing devil's advocate, but I was hoping to hear from those that have actually done this, not those who haven't and want to talk me out of it.

That's not what you asked for. You asked for thoughts. This person gave an honest perspective. They said they're "not a fan" and gave specific and helpful reasons why. It doesn't mean they're judging you, or picking on you, or even yucking your yum.

If you want people to just agree with you and tell you what you've already decided to do is a great idea, probably a better idea to say so up front.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I like the single-arm kettlebell swings better. I think they are worth adding for better core stability. My kettlebell is only 15lbs so single-arm has been my way of achieving more resistance too. I'm thinking of double-arm swinging 25lbs next and then progressing to single arm for that weight.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted people's "thoughts", but looks like you've made up your mind. Good luck with your challenge!
  • smaclean8
    smaclean8 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done this before. 300/day for 30 days. Personally, I am a powerlifter and it made my glutes more sore than I'd like them to be before squatting and deadlifting and I definitely saw no carryover for strength. But it made my butt perkier. I still will occasionally throw in 300 hundred swings with a 35# Bell just for the calorie burn. I do sets of 30-50 single arm, alternating arms each set and it literally takes me 30 minutes max.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My max is 1200/ day. I usually use the 70 lb KB but if you have different weights, you can mix them up. I did like 20000 swings in 4 weeks. One thing I didn't expect after was to break my Dead lift plateau. My Squats and BP remained same though. The swings loosened up my hips too. Go for it but do with a good form.
  • Yogi_warrior
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm personally not a fan of any of these "challenges" (squats, swings, etc) because they focus way too much on one particular movement, and you're not getting a great overall workout. And kettlebell swings are something that I've noticed MOST people do incorrectly, so to do 300 a day seems like it would be setting people up for possible injuries with questionable benefit. JMO.

KB swings is total body work out. Its a compound movement, you don't need 100 different exercises if you use a challenging weight. Same with Back Squats and Dead lift they use multiple muscles. If I have 20-30 min a day, I will go for KB swings, Squats, some kind of press or deadlifts.
  • rileyes
    Options
    @smaclean8 and @leonidas_and_spartacus --You guys are killing me with that weight! How did you transition to heavier Kettlebells? I was going to go up by 10 lbs at a time after one arm swings. Does that sound like a good transition?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

This article by Dan John one of the most respected strength and conditioning guys in the world, explains why the swing is a full body workout.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I like the single-arm kettlebell swings better. I think they are worth adding for better core stability. My kettlebell is only 15lbs so single-arm has been my way of achieving more resistance too. I'm thinking of double-arm swinging 25lbs next and then progressing to single arm for that weight.

I find myself drawn to the single-arm swings the more I do these. I could probably go up to a heavier KB for the double-arm swings, but while funds are tight and I can't afford it I'm having more fun with the singles. And I can definitely feel it in the core!

• annalisbeth74
    Options
    smaclean8 wrote: »
    I've done this before. 300/day for 30 days. Personally, I am a powerlifter and it made my glutes more sore than I'd like them to be before squatting and deadlifting and I definitely saw no carryover for strength. But it made my butt perkier. I still will occasionally throw in 300 hundred swings with a 35# Bell just for the calorie burn. I do sets of 30-50 single arm, alternating arms each set and it literally takes me 30 minutes max.

I could definitely use a little more perk back there! The flat glutes run in my family. Hoping for a nice kettlebooty one of these days!
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    My max is 1200/ day. I usually use the 70 lb KB but if you have different weights, you can mix them up. I did like 20000 swings in 4 weeks. One thing I didn't expect after was to break my Dead lift plateau. My Squats and BP remained same though. The swings loosened up my hips too. Go for it but do with a good form.

Um... All I got to say is Holy Cow! That's a lot. But good to know I could possibly do more than the 300/day at some point in the future and still see results. I did notice my form slipping a bit yesterday, so I'll keep an eye out for that. Maybe drop down in weight for a few days.

Thank you!
  • rileyes
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

This article by Dan John one of the most respected strength and conditioning guys in the world, explains why the swing is a full body workout.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout

I love this. And my butt (and hams) is sore.
  • rileyes
    Options

I find myself drawn to the single-arm swings the more I do these. I could probably go up to a heavier KB for the double-arm swings, but while funds are tight and I can't afford it I'm having more fun with the singles. And I can definitely feel it in the core!

Will you go up by 10lbs?
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options
    @smaclean8 and @leonidas_and_spartacus --You guys are killing me with that weight! How did you transition to heavier Kettlebells? I was going to go up by 10 lbs at a time after one arm swings. Does that sound like a good transition?

I follow the Russian KB hard style swinging. They recommend normal Men starting start with a 16 Kg KB (35 lb) and Women start with a 12kg or 26lb (KB). Usually the increments are in 4kg (~10lbs). Start with two armed swing and as it gets lighter, do one arm or mix it up with heavier KB two arms and lighter one with one arm. Make sure you are following the right breathing flow.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options

Um... All I got to say is Holy Cow! That's a lot. But good to know I could possibly do more than the 300/day at some point in the future and still see results. I did notice my form slipping a bit yesterday, so I'll keep an eye out for that. Maybe drop down in weight for a few days.

Thank you!

Form is most important, comes above anything else. I stop when my form suffers, there were days I could barely do 150 with proper form. Cheat reps don't count may be except when you get hurt with a lousy form.