WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE

Options

Replies

• c_alex
    c_alex Posts: 3
    Options
    First sign on. Hitting the big 60 Feb 2012 and really need to meet my goals by them. With all the back/knee ++issues and more drugs than enough to relieve the pain I need to get the weight off. Five years ago down to 170 but with my second back surgery the weight has ticked back on.. It's time to get back on track. I felt so much better when I was thinner and need to remember how it was. Not sure what the best diet for me is, I love to eat, not sweets, more cold cuts etc. Tried the low carb which satisfied my meat love, but it can be so restrictive and constrictive...Going to get back to the pool which is the only exercise that my body can handle, for now.
    Any encouragement appreciated.
    Thanks all.
    Carol
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    So much for deciding to keep my posts short but sweet! This group is addictive. :laugh:

Interesting day today. Started off with my daughter calling and asking me to DRIVE up to her place. (It’s about 300’ away.) Seems that a mountain lion left a fresh deer kill about 200’ from the house…a little alarming. :noway:

I’m done with my walks down our road with Izzy for a while. It’s a bummer too for the girls (4 and 6) because they can’t play outside by themselves now.

I know mountain lions typically roam over a territory several miles square. I hope this one roams away soon. I love being in the country but sometimes it’s a bit much for this girl from the suburbs.

Welcome to everyone new. This is a great place for support.

Gale, 8.5 lbs in 3 weeks is awesome! :flowerforyou:

Cathy, I feel your pain! I retired this year after way too many years of long days spent on the computer and long commutes. Retiring is one of the best things (if not THE best thing) about getting older! Oh yeah, and no more periods! :laugh:

Healthysr, getting the bike out sounds like a great plan. Getting a bike is on my list.

Janet, you have a terrific attitude.

Welcome. Carol, I recommend (drum roll and great suspense for everyone who knows me) lots of fruits and veggies. :laugh: Honestly, changing the way I eat to include lots more fruits and veggies and unrefined foods has changed my life. I’ve lost weight and kept it off (first time in many years), my BP is normal, my a-fib is better, my joints feel better, and my attitude toward life has been transformed. :happy: Can you tell I really like the way I eat and how I feel? I recommend it!

Linda, your determination is awesome. You inspire me with your walking. Will I ever be there? I don’t know. I am surprised to find I actually enjoy walking, so anything’s possible. I do know that I’m not likely to become an ultra-marathoner like Gale! :tongue:

At the end of the day, I was a couple of hundred calories over my goal. So I hopped on the stair stepper and jogged around the house. Hah! Makes me feel good. :happy:

Cindy, goodness gracious, 38 lbs in 3 months is amazing. :flowerforyou: The “plateau” might just be your body’s way of adjusting. Good for you for planning to maintain your weight while you’re on vacation. That is, by far, my biggest challenge.

Jeanne, your DH sounds like a sweetie.

Barbara, fantastic plan. Grilled asparagus and pineapple…can I come? :wink: It’s exciting to see people adding more fruits and vegetables to their menus. (I like looking at your diary – it’s almost always inspiring.)

Changing what I eat has made so much difference in how I feel. I love, love, love the way I eat now. A couple of weeks ago, I tried (I really did! :noway: ) to eat some of the old crap that used to seem so delicious. It wasn’t. I’m still amazed by that.

Sissy, isn’t it amazing how, all of a sudden, exercise can actually sound appealing. Weird…but wonderful. I say, go for the purple toenails. I do, every so often. I remember, a few years back, a friend of mine saying her mother (who was in her 80s) shouldn’t wear jewelry on her hands anymore because her hands weren’t attractive. WHAT? I so do not agree with that philosophy. :grumble:

I did get some grief from my DD recently though. I found a wonderful (to me!) old suede jacket with long fringes at the thrift shop. It was in perfect condition and the suede was buttery soft. My DD, drat her, thought it was hilarious. I thought it was wonderful and vintage. I have to admit I haven’t worn it again. :huh:

Genea, thanks for the recipe. It sounds like a keeper.

Smwert, congrats on a good loss. :flowerforyou: I was sad to hear about your best friend’s niece.

Jane, I hope the ultrasound results are good. Fingers crossed.

Dee, good news about Bandit! I think of you and your friend often. Donating kidneys was a beautiful thing to do. :heart:

Birdie, I hope the wedding is wonderful. Your family always sounds so warm. I love hearing about them.

Faye, the kids do grow up so fast. My 20-year-old grandson is dating someone who has a child. I hope it’s not serious. I am NOT ready to be Great Grandma Mimi! :noway: :noway: :noway:

Cherub, have fun at the concert! I know you’ve been looking forward to it – should be a wonderful show.

:heart:
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well went shoping for a bathing suit today. I found one that I liked and tried it on. It fit nicely and was a size 18, (down from a size 28, old bathing suit THAT I NEVER GOT TO WEAR....too embarrassed at how I looked in it!:embarassed: ) Not so this time, I feel comfortable in it. Next Tuesday we start our water aerobics so I am officially ready!!:bigsmile:

My guy friend has come over to my apartment the last couple of days and I noticed that Scout (the dog that I rescued off the street) does not like him. When we are sitting on the couch together, Scout barks at him and today when we were kissing on the couch, Scout promptly lifted his leg and peed on his qwn bed!!:noway: I thiink he is very jealous of this guy and he does not want to share me. I couldn't believe he did that! I don't quite know what to do about it. Scout lets him pet him and I have seen them sitting next to each other on the couch, it's just when I get involved that he reacts that way. Boo on the other hand could care less. As long as she has food available to her that is all she cares about. I think she got this attitude about food from the old me. Now if I can get her hooked on roasted veggies, Mimi, maybe she'd slim down some too?:laugh:

Happy birthday Deborah:drinker:

Everyone have a nice weekend. Eat well.
    Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I've been missing in action for a while as I've been staying with my daughter and forgot to take my netbook with me, which meant that I just had my iphone to log in.

I'm doing ok and even drove the car yesterday! It felt extremely strange after not driving for so many weeks.

As of next week I am starting rehabilitation classes at the hospital gym. They are set up for people who have had cardio surgery and also will incorporate exercise for my arthritis. I'm looking forward to it after feeling extremely inactive lately.

I really hope that all my friends are doing well. I haven't had a chance to catch up with you all yet, but will try to skim the posts over the weekend if I get time.

Anyway, have a lovely and blessed weekend people.

Love
    Amanda x
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Chicket - that is hilarous about Scout. My dog Missy (a lab/chow mix) that we have had since she was 6 weeks old gets jealous when my hubby hugs or kisses me. She barks, jumps up and tries to get between us. I don"t know who she is jealous of him or me!!

Too funny

smwert
    P.s.. Since I ready about everyone's success on the 17 day diet, a coworker and I started it yesterday.
  • wehavethestars
    Options
    GOOD SATURDAY MORNING ALL.

Deborah , HAPPY BIRTHDAY :flowerforyou: I hope your husband is feeling well and can enjoy your day with you.

Joy, I had the same question as Michele, do you use any kind of sweetener at all. I read all the time how aspartame can be a negative when trying to be healthy. It seems to be in a lot of sugar free products, so I cut down on them and have the bare minimum. For sweetener , I use STEVIA. The only thing i sweeten is tea . I used to sprinkle sweetener on fruit if it was not sweet enough for me, but stopped that too.

Mimi, good luck with the walking challenge. The lion story was upsetting to me. I pictured what it did to the deer and thought about your family being hurt or you and Izzy. Please take care. Izzy sounds like such a fun dog.:smile:

Gale, You should be a good example and inspiration for anyone in the group who is doing poorly. :drinker:

Barbara, Does that friend from work make house calls?:laugh: I would love to have a walking buddy.

Sissy, My younger son is very conservative. He came home from visiting his father and the father's wife had a very young hair style. He said it was ridiculous because when she turned around you saw all her wrinkles . I felt that if the style made her happy, that was all that mattered. I think we have to be confident in our choices and if we think it is the right choice for us, we should go for it. I love the purple polish and think you look like a woman who could carry it off easily.

Birdie, enjoy the wedding.

Smwert Great loss of weight and inches, wow!!!:flowerforyou:

Michele, I have the same result as you do when I bring a healthy dish to a gathering of any kind.:grumble: I go to where there are members of TOPS and they should know better, but always say things like "this is a party". I guess it is mindset and they
    just don't want to change. Perhaps they feel deprived.:noway: They are really depriving themselves ,with each bite of fattening food, of better health.:ohwell:

Carol, Remember being thinner, really see it in your mind and feel it. Get our your before and after pictures and put them in a place where you will see them every morning when you wake up and also on the refrigerator. Look at photos from a good time you had when you were down in weight and remember that good time too. The mind can be a powerful tool if you allow it to help in your weight loss journey. Then decide once and for all what you want to eat from now on. Not a diet, a change of habits. You must log your foods each day. that is so important. Mimi, is right, more veggies and fruits. Wish you the best, you can do it Carol. :flowerforyou:

Welcome to all the new people. Congratulations to all those who are on track and to those who need a push to do better,keep coming back to this thread. It does help a lot.

Well, no walking buddy has come to get me, so I must pick myself up and get my walking sticks. Will walk and listen to my music now. Have a great day everyone. I so wish I could take my Charlie with me walking, but I cannot hold walking sticks and his leash at the same time. He is too big and wants to run. I don't blame him. If I was younger and healthier , I would want to run too.

Star
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies:

I have 2 of my grandchildren coming shortly to stay the night - I wonder if you get extra points on the calorie count for chasing 2 little ones all day ages 3 & 4?? :smile:

Deborah: Buying your new bathing suit must have been so exciting, good for you!

Mimi: I sure hope you have no more problems with the mountain lion. That must be so upsetting, but hopefully, there will be no more.

Birdie: Enjoy the wedding. Sounds like you have had a lot of excitement in your neighbourhood though!!!

Star: I hope you can find that walking buddy.

Michele: I enjoy your posts,

Natalie: I liked your recipe.

Alice: I loved the picture of the heron. My Dad used to get them all the time up at his place.

Smwert: I agree, take any weight loss that you achieve because it IS a loss!!

Vicki: Sounds like you are getting some good walking done, good for you.

Tools: Can you provide rhe recipe for the basil/lemon dressing plese?

Pitbullmama: Welcome.

Jeanne: Isn't is amazing how quickly the calories and food counts add up when you don't realize it? I have found that out too. I sometimes enter things into the site before eating them to check the counts

mynydisamrs: Hope your wallpapering is going well. Haven't done that in years.

Tripmom: Welcom.

Well, I lost 1.6 lbs over the week. Not as much as I wanted but that's okay. I didn't exercise as much as I wanted either as the week was soo stressful at work and my days were too long at work. I will try to do better this week.

Everyone, enjoy your day. We have a cloudy day here but I hope the rain stays away long enough to let me take the kidlets to the park so they can burn off some of their energy!!!!

Anyway, talk to you later.

Cathy
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Just popped in to say hello and good morning.. going to play duplicate bridge with hubby, have not played in this group before at the senior center... they charge 7.00 for refreshments???? Anyway, I am not going to eat anything unless it's fruit...so we shall see... my guess is they will serve pastries and so on.. I'll bring a little bag of peanuts..
    Later..
    Natalie
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    grabbit97, just noticed that we both started MFP in March, we both want to lose 23 pounds and we have both lost 10 pounds, I am so proud of us both. My scale slipped down to ten pounds lost this morning...OH Happy Day. I havebeen stuck at 9+ pounds for weeks and was beginning to wonder what was going on, I hadn't gone off my food plan and was exercising and it stayed at the same place. I wish you luck with the rest of your loss and maybe we can do this together....I hope to lose the rest of the weight before we go on a cruise in October, it's 19 weeks from now. :heart: Sissy

I just noticed on your profile that you want to lose a total of 40 pounds, that would work for me to in the long run, but for now I am aiming at 23 pounds by Oct. :heart:
  • Jeanne3651
    Jeanne3651 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Welcome to the newcomers.

Well it's 9:22 a.m. here and I just finished my weeks worth of laundry. And DH and I went for a 1 mile walk. It's not really far but we're trying different routes to see what the different distances are.

Mimi be careful of that mtn lion. It's not a good sign when they bring their kill that close to a house. Maybe she has babies nearby.

So far so good with my food and exercise plan. Hope to take more walks with DH. My girlfriend and I walk 3 times a week - usually about a mile.

I need to work more veggies into my diet. I have to be careful about fruit because of their natural sugar content messes with my diabetis. And meat does not work in my stomach.

Well I've gotta run - I still have things to do around the house. Have a great day everyone.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many posts there are already. I tried to catch up and got to page 3 before I had to get up and do something for some one in the house.

My goals for June are to get back to exercising 30 minutes minimum a day and to eat 3 fruit portions.

Yesterday we went to Santa Fe and played tourist walking through all the art galleries and historical sites. Tomorrow we are going to a territorial style working ranch (circa 1700s). Since we had to cancel our vacation this week due to car troubles, we are exploring our own part of New Mexico.

I hope everyone is doing well and off to a good start on June.

Alice - your neighborhood sounds like ours with bears and coyotes. We can't feed birds because of the number of misplaced bears from the many forest fires the last few years. We can only feed the winter birds while the bears hibernate. The forest service cites people who attract bears and thereby endanger them. Good luck with your bear problem. A hand held boat horn scares them off pretty quickly. Just be sure to cover your ears.

Jeannie
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I have lost 3 of the vacay pounds since Monday!!!! only 2 more pounds until I am back to my ticker.

Mimi the mountain lion is scary and so inconvenient. I hope he leaves soon.
    chiclet - Sorry Scout is actiong out (but deep down its nice to know that he? is so jealous cuz she? loves you)

The sun is shining today for a change so I have so much to do I have to keep this post short. I love you all:heart:

Have a great day.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Woahhhhhhhhh...........How did June get here so fast?????:huh: :huh: :huh:

I have our 2 year old GD here for the long weekend while her parents are at an out of town wedding. I cannot believe how much energy is needed to keep up with a 2 year old:tongue::tongue: :tongue: I am exhausted!!! I have not checked my computer or anything for almost a week! (We had a house full over Memorial weekend along with DGD & 3 other little ones, SOOOOOOO, I am BEHIND!

Thank you, Mimi and Amazing Grace for checking on me! I appreciate the reminder and it helps me think about my not-so-perfect food choices while busy!

I look forward to checking in more often after everyone leaves this Tuesday night. (My 83 year old parents are also here!)

Take care all, and look forward to reading all the posts SOON! Kackie:heart:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

These past few weeks I haven't been on the forum as much as I'd have liked, but it's been a rough couple of weeks and I really didn't have a whole lot to share. I told you about Katy.....I've spent these weeks with Katy's mom so there hasn't been much happiness. Katy's parents had to make the decision to take Katy off life support which happened this morning, so Katy has gone home to the Lord. Her kidneys, however, will live on and save the lives of two people.....a beautiful thing. Katy impacted the lives of many people, so there will be lots of smiles and good stories as we celebrate her life. You are the first I have shared this with and it felt good because I am ready to move on. I'm going to move on by going out for my walk!

I always know you're here for me, but I chose not to be a downer and just have sadness to share, altho many of you brought a smile to my face during these past few weeks. I really look forward to reading the posts and knowing how you all are doing, so I'll be back later.

Dee:flowerforyou:

I'm trying to catch up (after only one day!) but had to offer my condolences, Dee. I'm so sorry about your young friend. I will keep you and her family in my thoughts and prayers.
    Also, I'm so glad her kidneys will be able to help others!
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    Godd afternoon everyone..............
    A great Saturday here in N.Wales. I managed to get out in the garden. I "Found at least a foot ....not sure what that'll be in metres!!......of pathway once I'd hacked a load of ivy away!!
    Now, after a long and lovely shower ........I'm waiting for my DIL's mother to collect me and go to a wedding reception. She asked me to assist with the food she was doing for it as her usual partner in crime is away on holiday. I'm a bit fed up with potato salad, coleslaw and rice salad now.......we're catering for 100+. #1 son is the DJ too.quite a family affair then!!!
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    29f223b971be24f86b9f62b9972c2ba0.gif

will try to catch up on all the posts later as there are just too many for now. But I just had to say:

Dee: my thoughts are with you and Katy's family...how wonderful that she will give the gift of life to someone else...I'm sure she was an amazing young woman and will be remembered with love.
  • collycan
    collycan Posts: 26
    Options
    Checking in...scale ain't moving and I am trying not to get too discouraged by that!
  • deearra
    deearra Posts: 8
    Options
    I think I found my Topic. I'm 62 and working with MFP since January 7, 41 lbs ago. Been having trouble staying with it lately when I travel or have company - I seem to equate entertainment with food and drink. I'd like to change that attitude cause I just lost 5 gained pounds from celebrating with recent visitors. So dumb but it surely is not just me that has this problem.

I could use some friends to for a little mutual *kitten* kicking. I haven't utilized this aspect of MFP. I really want to get the last 30 lbs off so whatever it takes!

I am 5'10"
    SW - 235
    CW - 194
    Goal: 165

My June goal is to lose 5 more lbs, get down to 189 (love breaking those 10 lb barriers. I'd like to see 165 by 10/1 - I know that is possible but I'm behind my original goal now....Help!
  • eotrg
    eotrg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    WOW, this board just moves so fast! I want to say THANK YOU for all the lovely birthday wishes yesterday, it really made me smile:love: ! I also am VERY happy to say that my hubby is feeling much better. We had perfect weather, and made strip steaks and marinated asparagus on the grill, along with baked potato and some Asti Spumante to toast my birthday. We ate out on the deck and enjoyed watching the golfers at the golf course next door, and also all the birds on our feeders. My husband surprised me with a wonderful new smart phone and I really love it. It is a 4G Thunderbolt. If interested in seeing it, you can paste this link into your browser, http://www.htc.com/us/products/thunderbolt-verizon
    (Or Google Verizon Thunderbolt)

I did end up going 110 calories over my goal, (The 2 glasses of my favorite Asti:blushing: were the reason for that, but I DID not have any sort of birthday cake, so felt rather virtuous even I went over!) DH doesn't eat cake, and I wasn't going to make one or buy one for myself, since we were not going to be having anyone else over to eat it!
    Deborah
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Well, I got on the scale this morning, and I THINK it moved in the right direction, we shall see on Monday when I weigh in.... I feel better, not as bloated....
    Played duplicate bridge this morning with hubby, it was good,, will do it again.
    Suppose to rain here, so I will do the weights inside today, no bike ride.
    Natalie