9/3 rest
    9/4 3.16

Total 10.02

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• missmelis98
    missmelis98 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't ran much since the end of June. I feel like I am starting all over
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    9/2 - 3.36 miles
    9/4 - 3.30 miles

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wzzWdl2/exercise.png [\img][/img]
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    wow stoshew71......... your so committed to your running, I want to be just like you but right now I'd like to be able to just get out and run very slowly for a couple of miles, that's not much to ask is it.......... I've got IT band problems at the moment so I've got to be patient :s It's sooooo hard ,I just want to run. :'(
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a little bit :) Now that IT issues seem to be behind me, I'm back to training for a 1/2 in october. Since I don't want to get hurt again, I'm trying to run my long runs a little slower. I used the McMillan calculator and it predicted my race pace at 9:55 for the half (with a goal of 2:10. Last one was 2:14, so that seems doable). Should I shoot for my training runs to be like 11-12 min miles?
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 I am so glad you are ok. Yikes!!

Adding 30 easy minutes today. I am starting to feel ridiculous posting here because I have been running consistently for about a year now with that bit of time off during the summer for my stress fracture but I feel like I am going nowhere. Ok, pity party over. Sorry!
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    11949556_10153010435351987_8100979941569460961_n.png?oh=6df07187d770f4e894e757f860135fa9&oe=56659840
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    September goal: 35 miles

9/1 - 3.1 miles
    9/2 - strength day
    9/3 - 2 miles
    9/4 - strength day

September: 5.1 of 35 miles

Decided to take the day off and enjoy an even longer weekend! My running partner in the past has invited us to go hiking on Sunday and I'm looking forward to it. She had stopped running due to an injury but she kept up with her hiking. I hope I can keep up with her lol.

@Stoshew71 - I have been really enjoying reading the advice you've been giving here. Thanks for taking the time. I had forgotten about the McMillan site, thanks for the link.
    @9voice9 - so sorry to hear about getting clipped by a car. You're so right, we all need to be careful and not assume drivers always see us!
    @7lenny7 - that's so cool with you getting on the magazine! Congrats!
    @Ohhim - it's so nice of you to help your buddy get started again with running. I wish someone would do the same for me :p

Happy Friday all!

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    9/1 Strength training and elliptical
    9/2 6.5 miles (6 at 11:29 and .5 at 15:00) on the treadmill
    9/3 4.5 miles at 11:59 on the treadmill
    9/4 3 miles at 11:00 on the treadmill and strength training

Goal: 75 miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Abakan wrote: »
    wow stoshew71......... your so committed to your running, I want to be just like you but right now I'd like to be able to just get out and run very slowly for a couple of miles, that's not much to ask is it.......... I've got IT band problems at the moment so I've got to be patient :s It's sooooo hard ,I just want to run. :'(

No it's not too much to ask. Everyone has to start from somewhere. I feel your pain on having to dial it back while you nurse your IT band. Hopefully you can learn from the experience and come back strong.
    jtarmom wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a little bit :) Now that IT issues seem to be behind me, I'm back to training for a 1/2 in october. Since I don't want to get hurt again, I'm trying to run my long runs a little slower. I used the McMillan calculator and it predicted my race pace at 9:55 for the half (with a goal of 2:10. Last one was 2:14, so that seems doable). Should I shoot for my training runs to be like 11-12 min miles?

Not at all @jtarmom. I enjoy helping people.

Plugging 2:10:00 into the calculator and then clicking on training paces gives you 10:18-11:31 as the pace for your long runs. This is based upon your goal pace of your future HM of 2:10:00.

If you instead plug your last official HM result of 2:14:00, the LR training pace range is 10:36-11:49. I am not sure how long ago that 2:14:00 was and what kind of training you have done in the mean time.

Long runs are usually the one where you do the biggest amount of mileage in a single run. Like i do all of my long runs on Saturday's (cause I work Mon-Fri and Sunday's are complete rest day and church and family day). So I can dedicate the most time to a run on Saturdays if I don't have a race. I will do anywhere between 15-20 miles [edited: I may also do a 13 miler if I need to dial back a bit]. All my other runs are 10 miles or shorter in length. For those that may not have as big of a long run as I do, the Long Run should take you at least 90 minutes. These type of long runs are done at a certain pace and should take between 90 minutes to 2 maybe 2 1/2 hours long. (No more is the general consecious even tho a few coaches allow 3 hours as the absolute maximum for a training run.) A long run that lasts at least 90 minutes will deplete a good amount of glycogen from your body and will teach your body to rely more and more on fat for fuel so that glycogen can be spared. In order to run these long distances, you have to run them slower than normal shorter runs. Thus the Long Run pace range given by McMillan.

I already explained what recovery run (Recovery Jog on the McMillan training paces) in the my message on pg 8 in response to dawniemate

Most of your running should be done at the "Easy Runs" pace range. Your long run should be done at the "Long Run" range. Now if you wanted to do a lactate threshold workout, then you can use one of McMillan's stamina paces.

For a typical 20-30 minute tempo run, you can start by walking for 5 minutes (or do a slow jog in the Recovery Jog pace range and then slowly building up to your Long Run or Easy Run pace for maybe a mile). This is considered your warm-up. Using the paces McMillan gives you for a 2:10:00 HM, you start in the 11:16-12:05 range and build up to 10:15-11:07 for the first mile. Then you pick up the pace for Tempo Run (9:12-9:30 in your 2:10:00 example) and hold that range for 2 maybe 3 miles. Then you bring is back down to your easy Run pace (10:15-11:07) for how many miles left in your run for the day. You may have to run even slower immediately after the tempo portion maybe closer to your Recovery Jog pace till you can catch your breath. This would be the lactate clearing portion of the run. You may need to walk for another 5 minutes completely after you are done for the day to "cool down".

Tempo Intervals are a little bit faster but are meant to be run shorter in repeats. So you walk for 5 minutes or do the 1 mile warm up. Then run 1 mile at the Tempo Interval pace, then immediately run a half mile at Recovery Jog pace, then run another 1 mile at Tempo Interval pace again, then another 1/2 at Recovery Jog, then repeat for a third interval. If you need more recovery in between, you can walk it or maybe go a full mile jog. You can start with 2 intervals and maybe work up to 4 or 6 intervals. You can also do them in 800 meter intervals with 400 meter walk or jog in between, or you can even do 2 mile intervals with a mile jog in between. These are also known as "cruise intervals" which is a term coined by Dr. Jack Daniels.

You can do a lactate threshold workout once or twice a week in addition to your long run. Otherwise all your other running should be done in between the Easy Run or Recovery Run range.

As far as making sure your IT band doesn't bother you again, you may want to make sure you do some stretching, foam rolling, and some specific strength training. IT band problems are usually associated with weak hips and poor form where you don't engage your glute muscles properly.

Here is a good link with some suggested exercises at the bottom:
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/it-band-injury-runners-stretches-exercies-treatments/

Also, when you run... (I know this sounds pretty graphic but it helps a lot) imagine that you are trying to keep a quarter wedged between your butt cheeks. This forces you to engage your glutes correctly and use the stomach muscles and hips properly as you run. This will then relieve the unwanted stress on your IT band. This will also improve your biomechanics and running form. Combine this with high butt kicks (make the back of your heel come close to your butt as you run).

@Abakan the above little bit on IT band can also apply to you as well.

I hope this helps?

• Stoshew71
    Options
    rogue024 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - I have been really enjoying reading the advice you've been giving here. Thanks for taking the time. I had forgotten about the McMillan site, thanks for the link.

My pleasure.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 Skip is fine she just need a ride to lunch with her journalism class.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/9: 7 miles
    4/9: 6.8 miles

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Options
    @stoshew71 Skip is fine she just need a ride to lunch with her journalism class.

Oh good!

• AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So I'm sick of converting to mi for no good reason here, so I originally said 40 mi was my goal....well I'll just say 65 km
    9-1: 3.08 km...everything was going fine for the first 2k. First run after a very well-fed and drank vacation (seriously, a rib-eye the size of my forearm for the last dinner). 2.5k, I notice how tight my right leg feels. I loosen up my shoe and that does nothing. I started walking, and tried to pick back up but I was in so much pain I had to call my mom for rescue. Ugh.
    9-4: 4.24 km...Wanted to take it slow today so as not to agitate anything (foam-rolled the sheet outta my leg the other day). Very hot, not a fun run at all. Slow paced, so slow it was on par with my c25k week 7 overall pacing which INCLUDES the 10 minute warmup/cooldown. Boo.

4.54/40
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    That's clear from your lengthy, and excellent, response. I'm copying this text and pasting it into a text file to keep at my computer for ready reference.

One question I have, is how does heat and fatigue play into this? I can more easily keep a faster pace when it cooler out. Do I use the slower paces within each range when it's nasty hot out, and migrate to the faster paces as it cools down?

I prefer using heart rate as a guide rather than pace because I'm better at regulating HR and I then get to see the general improvement in pace as a measuring stick for my running development. I see that the calculations do provide heart rate range. These are rather wide ranges in many cases, and have much overlap. For instance, an HRR range of 55 to 65 would encompass all three endurance run types, yet there is no such overlap with the three endurance paces. Any reason I shouldn't just use that 55 to 65 HRR range and make it simple for myself?

Also, when you run... (I know this sounds pretty graphic but it helps a lot) imagine that you are trying to keep a quarter wedged between your butt cheeks.
    Forget the imagination, I'm raiding my change jar before tonight's run.
    :D

• Stoshew71
    edited September 2015
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

One question I have, is how does heat and fatigue play into this? I can more easily keep a faster pace when it cooler out. Do I use the slower paces within each range when it's nasty hot out, and migrate to the faster paces as it cools down?

I prefer using heart rate as a guide rather than pace because I'm better at regulating HR and I then get to see the general improvement in pace as a measuring stick for my running development. I see that the calculations do provide heart rate range. These are rather wide ranges in many cases, and have much overlap. For instance, an HRR range of 55 to 65 would encompass all three endurance run types, yet there is no such overlap with the three endurance paces. Any reason I shouldn't just use that 55 to 65 HRR range and make it simple for myself?

Answer to first question. Yes!!!! heat, humidity, if you are recovering from a cold, you had a really intense workout 2 days ago that you are still feeling, not enough sleep, poor nutrition, ect. All of these things can effect your paces. You just have to go by feel at that point. or as you suggested, as an alternative, you can use the HR range for the reasons you give above.

Answer to last question regarding the over lap in paces/HR ranges. The 3 stamina paces have distinct meanings but are all related to the same thing. Your lactate threshold velocity (vLT), which is also estimated.

So you have your Steady State Run, Tempo Run, and Tempo Intervals.

Tempo Runs are designed to run right at your vLT. So your vLT is only estimated (the only true way to get it is in a lab where they have you run on a treadmill and they take various blood samples). So since it is only estimated, they give you a range instead. So it's OK to run just a little bit below or above it to get the effect. The range covers all the basis being that it is estimated. The idea of the tempo workout is to get you to practice as much running right at your LT. This is the most efficient means to stress this function for as long as you can. BTW, all running that takes you more than 90 seconds (1 mile, 5K, 10K, marathon, all the way through ultra) is based upon your LT. Improving your LT will improve all your race times. Any race that takes you less than 90 seconds is powered mostly by your anaerobic system. That is why the body of an elite 60 meter sprinter is very much different than the body of a champion marathon runner.

So where was I? Oh! So you got your tempo workout designed to get you to run as far as you can right at your LT. You should never run more than 30-40 minutes at LT. reason is, you don't want to run a race during training. save your racing for actual race day. leave something extra during training so you can do your next workout a bit more refreshed. Remember your body can only race at LT pace for 50-60 minutes. So anything more than 30-40 minutes is basically racing. For a beginner, a tempo should only be done for ~20 minutes.

So then you got tempo intervals. These are ran just a small bit faster than vLT. These are designed to practice your lactate clearing. You run a bit faster to build up lactate then on the active rest in between the intervals, your body is practicing clearing that lactate. The idea is to run them shorter in length than a regular tempo but more often in intervals. Short interval/active rest/another short interval/active rest/another short interval... you get the idea. The tempo intervals or cruise intervals are normally 1 mile intervals (or 2 miles for the advanced runner) but can be done at 800 meters (2 laps around the track or 1/2 mile) if you never done this before and need to work on this.

At the other end of the spectrum is your steady state run. These are somewhat like your tempo run but are designed to be longer. Since you limit your tempo run to 20-30 minutes, the steady state run allows you to practice running at a "comfortably hard" pace for a lot longer. The steady state run is done just a tad bit slower than your vLT. So your body is not producing as much lacate and hydrogen ions. This allows you to run a bit further.

Again, since the vLT is only estimated, the calculator gives you a range for each of the 3 training paces. Also, things like heat, humidity, sickness, soreness, nutrition, sleep, extreme stress like a busy day at work, ect all effect your vLT, this is another reason a range is given. Though, extreme heat and humidity and other factors can actually effect the range even further than what the calculator provides.

So say the calculator says your tempo range is 8:00-8:12. Well, for every 5 degrees above 60 can effect your pace by as much as 30 seconds.... This means your tempo range can actually be closer to 10:00-10:12 when it is 80 degrees out (worse case scenario). Everybody handles heat and humidity a bit different. Some can handle it better than others and your body can actually adjust and adapt to heat and humidity within 3 weeks bringing it back closer to the normal ranges McMillan gives.

A lot of this becomes more of an art than a science. None of the calculators are going to give you perfect exact results, but they should be used as a guide. A lot of this you will learn to adjust as you get to know how your body functions in relation to what a particular calculator suggests to you. It's a lot like the calculator MFP and other sites give when you are trying to figure out how many calories you should eat in a day. None of them are perfect, but they can be used as a tool as you learn how your body functions and if I eat this much below or above what the calculator gives me, I can still loose or maintain.

But the over lap occurs because the ranges for each catagory are wide. If you find that your tempo can be done at the lower part of the range, then you should be able to run your intervals at the lower range as well. If you are feeling a little bit sore from your workout 2 or 3 days ago or a bad day at work, then your tempo may be in the higher part of the range, and thus will carry over in the steady state and interval paces as well.

I hope this makes it more clearer.

7lenny7 wrote: »
    Forget the imagination, I'm raiding my change jar before tonight's run.
    :D

LOL I dare you to actually do it.

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - that's so cool! Congrats!

@9voice9 - glad it wasn't worse! I've gotten close to getting hit but thankfully it didn't happen. I've had some bicyclist friends who've been hit or run off the road :( Hope your shoulder feels better soon!

Question for those of you who have done marathons. I started doing half-marathons about 8 years ago and have always had a full in the back of my mind but work/life would be such that I couldn't get long runs in to train for one. Now I'm looking at a marathon on April 3rd 2016. I'm slow - my half-marathon times are around 3 hours but the time cut off for this marathon is 9 hours so I have plenty of time. And I should have time now to train for it as work has been less intense. When would you recommend starting to train specifically? Now seems a bit early. 3 months ahead of the race? More/less?

The training aspect is actually the hardest part of the marathon. Lots and lots of hours during the week including your long run days where you can spend up to 3- 3 1/2 hours of actual running. It's a time commitment that you will have to manage.

I haven't paid attention to what your weekly mileage is right now, but it requires more weekly mileage to be sucessful at the full marathon than the HM. While training for the race itself does seem to be too early, it's not too early to start now by thinking about getting the mileage up. Long runs for a marathon can peak to 20 miles. if you follow the 25-33% rule (and you should), that means you need to run at a minimum of 60 miles per week when you hit that peak. Offcourse many people don't and only get up to 40 miles which means your peak LR makes up 50% of your weekly mileage which is risky for injury.

So I would say that the best thing you can do now is to work on increasing mileage, and do it slowly.
    There are so many conflicting advise as to how to increase miles. Some say no more than 1 mile per week (very conservative). The most popular is no more than 10% increase. That means if I ran 20 miles this week, then next week I should be able to add 2 miles (10% of 20) or 22 miles. I don't deel with fractions for mileage increase so even tho 10% of 22 is 2.2 miles, I would just increase by another 2 miles until you get to 2.5 miles. Dr. Jack Daniels (Runner's World named him the current best running coach in America) suggests whatever number of days you are running per week, then that is the number of miles I let my athletes increase each week. So if you run 3 days a week, you can increase by 3 miles. If you run 5 days a week, then you can increase 5 miles. But he adds, that if you increase, you have to stay at the mileage for at least 4 weeks before you can increase again.

The other thing you have to make sure is that don't just add your mileage to one particular run. Like folks will constantly add a mile or 2 to their long run but keep the rest of the runs during the week the same. This is dangerous. Your long run should only represent 25-33% of your weekly mileage. So spread those miles throughout the week.

As you increase mileage, keep the pace at an easy conversational pace. If you want to add a day of fartleks or easy strides once or twice a week, then that is fine. But as you are increasing mileage, you need to keep it easy on the pace cause your body is adapting to the new stresses of the additional mileage. The other thing you may have to feel out is cut back weeks. For me (as of recent) if I have 2 hard weeks where i am increasing mileage or doing intense quality workouts) the third week I cut it back on my weekly volume. So maybe week 1 I will do ~60 miles and week 2 I do ~60 miles, the third week I will cut back to maybe 45 miles with a shorter long run as well as maybe less miles during the week. Then I come back the following 4th week back at 60 miles or maybe even 62 miles as my long run increases.

Once you increase your weekly volume to a point where you think you want to steady out a bit, then the next thing you need to work on is your lactate threshold. You will need to learn what your LT is and throw in a tempo workout or steady state runs or maybe tempo intervals once or twice a week in addition to the long run. All of this will prepare you for marathon training when you eventually need to start marathon specific training. And all of this you can work on right now.

Thank you for all the info! Definitely something I will look over and I have more to learn about. I'm only running about 10 miles per week right now. I have a training plan for a 27k that I was going to do in Nov but the race was cancelled. I was going to start that training plan on Monday. It was developed by a friend of mine who runs marathons. But I'm going to look over it more and see if the increases in distance fit what you're talking about. Now I'm almost worried that I don't have enough time between now and April since I'm not running much right now. Thanks again! :)
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    AlexPaige wrote: »
    So I'm sick of converting to mi for no good reason here, so I originally said 40 mi was my goal....well I'll just say 65 km
    9-1: 3.08 km...everything was going fine for the first 2k. First run after a very well-fed and drank vacation (seriously, a rib-eye the size of my forearm for the last dinner). 2.5k, I notice how tight my right leg feels. I loosen up my shoe and that does nothing. I started walking, and tried to pick back up but I was in so much pain I had to call my mom for rescue. Ugh.
    9-4: 4.24 km...Wanted to take it slow today so as not to agitate anything (foam-rolled the sheet outta my leg the other day). Very hot, not a fun run at all. Slow paced, so slow it was on par with my c25k week 7 overall pacing which INCLUDES the 10 minute warmup/cooldown. Boo.

4.54/40

So sorry to hear about the poor performace. Hope it goes better next time. And many folks here go by km's which is fine.

ACSL3 wrote: »
    Thank you for all the info! Definitely something I will look over and I have more to learn about. I'm only running about 10 miles per week right now. I have a training plan for a 27k that I was going to do in Nov but the race was cancelled. I was going to start that training plan on Monday. It was developed by a friend of mine who runs marathons. But I'm going to look over it more and see if the increases in distance fit what you're talking about. Now I'm almost worried that I don't have enough time between now and April since I'm not running much right now. Thanks again! :)

Welcome and good luck. Sorry about your race being cancelled.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    I saw this video on Facebook that is very inspirational.

Originally saw this from the Marathon Runs page with the following comment:

An inspirational video. This is how it feels to run a distance races. Esp. Ultra and esp. my last two 100 miles races. It brought a lot of memories. It got harder and harder as I went further. I could not quite till I cross finish line.

(I hope this link works- Let me know if you don't see the video)
    https://www.facebook.com/therunningstan?ref=hl#!/officialslamball/videos/10153280597694064/