Fat, morbidly obese woman in the weight room....

Options

Replies

• christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think more to the point why you don't see women in the weight room regardless of size is there is the perception that lifting anything heavier than 5lb or 2-3 kg will make a woman bulky, which is nonsense. I go to a women's only gym and I can count on one hand the number lifting more than 3 or 4 kg, and I'm the only one deadlifting. Some use machines but still with low weight and the cardio machines always busy. There seems to be the belief that you have to do cardio to lose the weight and bf then do weights to'tone up'. Why not use weights as well from beginning to preserve the muscle you already have. If you want to lift weights just do it, you have as much right to be in that weight room as anyone.

• tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    "What are you doing in my house?", but then again I workout at home.
    At a public gym, I'm glad anyone type of person is there improving themselves. Until they're using the equipment I want to use, then I intensely hate them for a few minutes of walking around or moving to another exercise out of my planned order.

Haha, exactly this.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that anybody is in the weight room working out (as long as they're not curling in the squat rack).
    But honestly, once I get going I have a tendency to tune everyone else out so I'm not even sure I'd notice.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    WHY don't more obese people lift weights?

This is absolute and total speculation on my part, but if I were morbidly obese and was told that I needed to lift MORE than my body weight with legs that are probably already tired from getting myself around all day ...

... I'm pretty sure I'd view that news with extreme skepticism.

I'd probably think walking and bicycling were more doable.

But again, just a WAG on my part.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'd take out my earphones and say a cheery "morning :smile: " followed by putting them back in and going back to minding my own business.

Go you great things! Yay for girl power(lifting)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Fat girl in the frat house.
    What type of reactions would she get? What would you honestly think? Would anyone think anything at all.
    That was me a year ago, a 40 year old morbidly obese women joining the gym and lifting for the first time. I was so nervous when I started at the gym, assumed everyone would be looking at me making a fool of myself. Quickly realized that everyone (well almost everyone) is so focused on their own workout that you aren't really noticed.

Go, start working out, you will love yourself for it. I wish I had started lifting sooner.
  • chrisjonesy2k
    chrisjonesy2k Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    whenever i see a big person exercise be it jogging out in the street or whatever,i think good for them,at least they are attempting to do something about it,i was that person once,you might find people giving odd looks but end of the day that big person running down the road could well be a lot fitter then what that person pointing the finger is.

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    What type of reactions would she get? What would you honestly think? Would anyone think anything at all.

It's not a frat house. It's a gym a place for human beings.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Honestly? I'd think "Good for her! I hope she continues to come here." and I'd secretly cheer her on.
    Why cheer her on secretly? Why not say, "Hello, are you new here? I'm not an expert but would be glad to help in any way I can."

As I've lost weight I've also lost membership in the big girl club. I see confusion in the faces of the big girls if I cheer them publicly. They are likely thinking I could not possibly understand.

OP you've been given several reasons why a big girl might skip the weight room.

- shyness. She might not be perved on but she may feel that people are judging.

- advice to do cardio to lose weight.

- fear of injury.

It is hard to rock a great outfit in 3x. Grey sweats cannot flatter.

Is there another reason you keep asking this question?

• cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options

It's not a frat house. It's a gym a place for human beings.

Sorry for the poor analogy?
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Honestly? I'd think "Good for her! I hope she continues to come here." and I'd secretly cheer her on.
    Why cheer her on secretly? Why not say, "Hello, are you new here? I'm not an expert but would be glad to help in any way I can."

As I've lost weight I've also lost membership in the big girl club. I see confusion in the faces of the big girls if I cheer them publicly. They are likely thinking I could not possibly understand.

OP you've been given several reasons why a big girl might skip the weight room.

- shyness. She might not be perved on but she may feel that people are judging.

- advice to do cardio to lose weight.

- fear of injury.

It is hard to rock a great outfit in 3x. Grey sweats cannot flatter.

Is there another reason you keep asking this question?

The point is, we need to be encouraging encouraging behavior!
  • tim201200
    tim201200 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see an extremely overweight person at the gym I think "Great for them, they have courage and are taking the right steps"!
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty overweight and regularly go to the gym. Often people won't pay attention to me and just go about their own workouts while I work out as usual.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@cndkendrick the thoughts will be all over the board but in the end do the thoughts of strangers count?

Being much older and in very poor health I just started out by walking a 1/4 mile daily to build up some muscle while I lost some weight so no gym was needed. I do not use exercise to loss weight because I found it self defeating.

Best of success.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    The kind of people you want in your life (and there are lots of them - witness above) are (1) focused on their own workouts, but (2) feel respect for anyone who comes in, gets down to business, and works hard, perhaps especially so when it's clear that person is new or has an uphill course to fitness. Many of the people you see will've started as very different people - less fit people - than where they are today.

A few jerks may be dismissive. If it's visible, their attitude does you a service: You know that you don't need them in your life in any meaningful way.

I'm fairly old (59) and have been fairly fat (5'5", 185 - obese BMI) for decades. The last dozen years, I've also been pretty active: mostly rowing & spin, but regular lifting for a couple of years in there. I always hoped that other older, fatter people (say) looking in the door at spin class, who saw me, would be encouraged to think they could do this stuff. When younger, thinner people occasionally showed up and acted like I was a lesser being (a very rare thing, BTW), I was always happy when I could out-work them, so it gave me a bit of extra inspiration. And I've made some friends among those who were routinely friendly and supportive; I try to be like that to others.

Also, not a weight room, but there's this: flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html (and the real story, which is different but maybe even more touching, here:[url=" http://theantijared.com/2014/03/never-fatty-westview-track-just-inspiring-fat-girl-named-dan.html"] theantijared.com/2014/03/never-fatty-westview-track-just-inspiring-fat-girl-named-dan.html[/url]
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    "What are you doing in my house?", but then again I workout at home.
    At a public gym, I'm glad anyone type of person is there improving themselves. Until they're using the equipment I want to use, then I intensely hate them for a few minutes of walking around or moving to another exercise out of my planned order.

Lmao!!
  • lmlilly
    lmlilly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would smile at her and be grateful for another woman in the weight room.
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I spend 80 % of my gym time in the free weight area. I'm 5'2, 216 lbs, size 16-18. I think that qualifies me as a big girl - definitely obese.

From the women - I get nods of encouragement, some will stop by to encourage me, or they are too busy doing their own thing to pay attention to others.

From the men - usually they are too focused on their workout to notice me. Lol! Except when I'm squatting or leg pressing. Then I get looks because I'm pressing/squatting more than some of them. ;)

I'm a dork and I walk around the gym with a mini clip board with my workout printed on it. Then I know what I'm doing, I'm not trying to make it up on the fly, and since I have a plan I'm much less self conscious. :)
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    hmmm, sounds like someone saw me at the gym last night. Just joined & had my first session with personal trainer. At the end of the workout, I was standing in front of a mirror with trainer doing exercises with dumbbells when I noticed 2 young men (buffed out!) sitting on a bench almost directly in my line of sight. They were looking at me and whispering to each other, and then they both grinned and gave me two thumbs up. I'm 67 years old, 5'6' 188 lbs.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

At my gym, she gets respect!!

I am still obese by BMI standards, but I get much respect from the boys in the free weight area. Theyve seen me squat and deadlift over body weight. They've seen me leg press more than 2x bodyweight. They've seen me do all kinds of crazy stuff.