I went to Aldi today!

Options

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I do a good chunk of my shopping at Aldi, though I always check the ads/coupons for the Pick 'N' Save that's a little closer to me. For a while, milk was around $3/gallon at Aldi and $2.50 at pick n save with coupon.

I would absolutely recommend trying the Aldi brand of most of the things you like to buy at your other store. Worst case, you find that you don't like theirs and make a note to never buy it again, lol. I've had their cottage cheese and it tasted just awful. Maybe I got a bad tub, but I haven't bought that since.

Everything else, though, I've been going back for. Plus, each week they'll have some special buys - like outdoor items, bathroom decorating supplies, etc, etc, and those are almost all a great deal.

~Lyssa
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I do most of my shopping there.

All of the Aldi-brand stuff I've tried has been good.

Give the fit & active labeled items a try. That's the brand name for their lower-calorie items.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I do a good chunk of my shopping at Aldi, though I always check the ads/coupons for the Pick 'N' Save that's a little closer to me. For a while, milk was around $3/gallon at Aldi and $2.50 at pick n save with coupon.

I would absolutely recommend trying the Aldi brand of most of the things you like to buy at your other store. Worst case, you find that you don't like theirs and make a note to never buy it again, lol. I've had their cottage cheese and it tasted just awful. Maybe I got a bad tub, but I haven't bought that since.

Everything else, though, I've been going back for. Plus, each week they'll have some special buys - like outdoor items, bathroom decorating supplies, etc, etc, and those are almost all a great deal.

~Lyssa

hey Lyssa thanks for the tips, I'm definitely going back for more!
  • karyabc
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »
    I do most of my shopping there.

All of the Aldi-brand stuff I've tried has been good.

Give the fit & active labeled items a try. That's the brand name for their lower-calorie items.

nice! coming soon. I saw a massive amount of stuff with fit and active label.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Went to an Aldi for the first time last weekend. I do probably 90% of my shopping at Costco so I was comparing Aldi's prices to it.

Their ice cream and mixed nuts and candy was priced quite low. Milk and meat was about the same. I was expecting better prices on meat. Produce was too difficult to compare but prices seemed reasonable.

I purchased ice cream (belmont cookies and cream), and it's really quite good, I was surprised.

I purchased some Choceur chocolate, it wasn't very good, imo. Really sweet.

I purchased some chives and radishes, they were fresh and unblemished for the most part.

I also purchased a tin of mixed nuts, haven't opened yet.

I'm glad I went, and if I'm nearby I may peak in again. I wouldn't make a special trip though or do real grocery shopping there mainly because it's far away and their mostly off-brand selection of everything left a lot to be desired.

I did like that you have to bring your own grocery bags.
  • karyabc
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Went to an Aldi for the first time last weekend. I do probably 90% of my shopping at Costco so I was comparing Aldi's prices to it.

Their ice cream and mixed nuts and candy was priced quite low. Milk and meat was about the same. I was expecting better prices on meat. Produce was too difficult to compare but prices seemed reasonable.

I purchased ice cream (belmont cookies and cream), and it's really quite good, I was surprised.

I purchased some chives and radishes, they were fresh and unblemished for the most part.

I'm glad I went, and if I'm nearby I may peak in again. I wouldn't make a special trip though or do real grocery shopping there mainly because it's far away and their mostly off-brand selection of everything left a lot to be desired.

I took note of everything, especially that ice cream B) . thanks for the data
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I buy quite a bit there. Especially the Fit Active stuff. I often find when I scan the barcodes it comes up name brand.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I like Aldi for some things and shop there a few times a month. I particularly love the Moser Roth 5855 dark chocolate. It is one of the best dark chocolate bars I have every come across and you can't beat the price. It is a staple in my house. I also usually buy fresh fruit and veg but I wish they had a better selection sometimes. The Belmont Ice cream and gelato are really good. Cheeses and hummus are great and last week I got some marinated turkey tenderloin that was incredibly good. Also the marinated pork tenderloin is really worth the money. I don't buy a lot of my meats there but I do like those two and the frozen chicken breast tenders are a little less expensive than in regular stores.

If you like chips the Harvest cheddar crisps are similar to sun chips and give you a nice serving size for the calories. I tend to try this and that and have not had any of their store brand stuff that I didn't like yet.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    We don't have one of those shops where I live. We are getting one!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I just bought two of the huge tubs of their nonfat Greek yogurt today. It tastes no different, and it's sooooo much cheaper!
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like their store brand of spreadable cheese wedges. Just like the laughing cow ones. They have original, garlic and jalapeño. I use them for wraps and toast...for $1.50ish and 6 of them you can't beat it. I usually grab some of their produce and their brand of multi grain wraps.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi!!

My faves are

-Dutch chocolate almond milk
    - eggs are about a buck cheaper
    - Cookies and cream ice cream
    - Seasoned frozen chicken breast

Mostly everything I've tried I liked
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Oh wow! I wish there was one closer to me.

The HEB I go to at least holds a weekly raffle for a 25$ gift card for people that bring there own bags.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    aldis is essentially the same company as trader Joes if i remember right.

and i love aldis, though i havent been in quite some time!
  • karyabc
    Options
    I love Aldi!!

My faves are

-Dutch chocolate almond milk
    - eggs are about a buck cheaper
    - Cookies and cream ice cream
    - Seasoned frozen chicken breast

Mostly everything I've tried I liked

Took note of evrything B)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    silly question but I just have to ask, they do have a great variety of food, but a lot of the brands I'm not really familiar with them, have you found any unpleasant difference? like I was tempted to get their greek yogurt but I wasn't sure or even their almond milk I haven't tasted yet, I usually get the almond breeze.

I love Aldi's Greek yogurt. I like their queso fresco but less so their other cheeses. They're fine for sandwiches & cooking, but not what I'd put on a cheese tray. Love their canned brands, like their dried fruit & nuts. Love their diet soda/la croix equivalent; don't love their coffee. Produce is awesome. I shop the sales for meat, buy a lot of chicken & when they have it, pork ribs, loin & shoulder. Like the frozen swai ok, but don't buy any other frozen items. In addition to cutting my grocery bill in half, I get in&out really quickly. We recently got a trader joes nearby, and I like their nuts, dried fruits and cheeses better. I do miss some vegetables my aldi doesn't carry (collards, acorn squash, brussel sprouts, ginger, fresh herbs), but it has become my main store nonetheless.
  • ahoy_m8
    Options
    I like Aldi for some things and shop there a few times a month. I particularly love the Moser Roth 5855 dark chocolate. It is one of the best dark chocolate bars I have every come across and you can't beat the price.

Mmmm....gonna try that! Thanks!
  • ahoy_m8
    Options

They are owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's.

I don't think that's true. Trader joes is privately held--no holding company--in the US. And Aldi is German, kinda like the IKEA of groceries.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Oh wow! I wish there was one closer to me.

The HEB I go to at least holds a weekly raffle for a 25$ gift card for people that bring there own bags.

That's awesome, really. Most stores I feel discouraged using my own bags, especially Wal Mart, like it messes up the clerks rhythm and gets them all disoriented. I'd love it if stores encouraged bringing our own bags.

Costco doesn't bag but they always attempt to pawn their boxes off on me, and I have to tell them no boxes! :p