are you happy now?

Options
13»

Replies

• melbmeg
    melbmeg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What an interesting discussion.

Like so many others, I gained my weight due to grief and depression (and related medications). I went from never having had a weight problem to being 60lbs overweight in a year. Being fat made me feel as though I were wearing my grief for all to see. And I wore it for 5 long years before something 'clicked' and I was ready to take it off.

For me, losing weight has felt like returning to myself, and to life. I don't think the weight loss has made me happy - I think perhaps I had to be happy to be able to face losing weight.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've got my self esteem back. It's priceless!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I don't hurt as much-knees, back, etc. I feel more in control. That is a good feeling.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    No. I'm still as f**ked up as I was 162# ago. Losing weight did not change my problems for the better.

^^^Truth! Losing weight didn't solve all my problems, it just eliminated one of the contributing factors :) Now I can work on the 'other' stuff.

• greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Definitely happier, even if I'm not nearly as accomplished as other MFP members.
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yes. i'm a little more confident now but still an introvert. i don't think that'll change regardless of my weight lol
  • tesemarie
    tesemarie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 lbs down and about 2/3 to my goal weight. I have always felt blessed, but now I am blessed and I feel free!!! The happiness that has come with weight loss is in the form of freedom. Freedom from judging myself and worrying others were doing the same (even if they really weren't). Freedom from feeling winded all the time, or worried about my clothes, or stressed every time I had to go shopping. Freedom from saying no to things I really wanted to do or try but thought I'd look stupid (whether or not I actually would have!). Freedom from constantly indulging in foods for comfort and then beating myself up about it. Freedom from telling myself I could never do athletic things or that being big would always be "just the way I am". I am not all the way there, but I also have given myself the freedom to be kind to myself as I get to my goal weight. There's no timeline because this is a life change not just a weight change. :). I feel like I had been living in chains and didn't even realize it entirely until I felt them fall away. The weight loss is great, but it only started happening after I decided in my HEAD that I wanted to live in freedom.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I am. I have tons more confidence now and it makes a world of difference in how I approach life. Of course, we all still have our problems!
  • jswede1149
    jswede1149 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've lost 135 pounds. I'm thrilled that I dumped my car three years ago for a healthier life style. I am happy that I climbed and rock climbed Mt. Kineo on the advanced trail or the many physical things I can now do. I am thrilled I can wear dri fit work out pants and jacket, bikinis and junior sizes dress. I am even more thrilled that I went from a size 3x to small.

However..

The constant need for new clothes, undergarments and coats is exhausting. I plan to drop 15 more pounds and hit 14% body fat so I will need to cloth shop again in the near future. The jealously my weight loss has caused = much unnecessary drama. It is painful to sit for long periods of time as I no longer have much tail bone protection. I still struggle with body image issues.
  • kg047
    kg047 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have always has great self-esteem (measured over a 50 year period)...this is mental. I am happy with my weight loss and working out daily (as this is mental and physical). For me, I have to keep the mental working properly so that I don't lose all the gains that I have achieved. The mental propels me to the physical.

Thanks to those that posted their health related gains. I did not have any issues there, but know that if I continued on my previous path I would had them. Lots of high blood pressure, heart disease in my family.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm happier because it's one less thing to stress and worry about. For example, when I was obese I would fidget a lot with my clothing and worry about sitting with my back to the wall so people wouldn't look at my fat rolls. Now I don't worry about those things and I can dance around foolishly in more situations without concern.

Did going from size 24 to size 10 magically increase my happiness and boost my self confidence in all situations? Nope.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    qqxfkdy5t5wc.jpg

Truth.

I was happy, but disappointed with my health
    Now I am happy and feel better about my health.

Totally me!

Yes, I'm happier than 20 lbs ago, but no, I'm not satisfied at all.
    Wanting to be healthier and stronger can be addictive!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. With the weight loss, my confidence has soared, and I'm much more social (still an introvert though). I've found things that I am really passionate about and am just generally loving life and living it up.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. It's part of the package of taking care of myself.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Simple question, but it really makes you think. I didn't know I was fat until I lost weight and someone mentioned how fat is used to be . . .

I needed to lose weight for health reasons and I am so much happier feeling better without all those mysterious aches and pains that being overweight seems to bring with it and medication free. I am more content with myself and probably from the absence of IBS I probably seem happier to most of the people around me.

Given how I seem to be much more accepted by society in general I guess that should make me happy - actually the jury is still out on that one.

But seriously whatever you may think losing weight will change, other than health issues, it more than likely won't. But do it anyway :):):)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Whilst losing weight doesn't/didn't magically make every single thing in my life better, it changed alot of things for me. I got more confident and eventually applied for a job i wouldn't have before, and got it. I also found love whereas before I was too shy/lacked confidence to even try.
  • FabnFit4Health
    FabnFit4Health Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weight loss cure any diseases or health conditions?
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    qqxfkdy5t5wc.jpg

I was thinking of this exact cartoon when I clicked on the thread to reply.

I though that losing the weight would fix my self esteem and lack of happiness. For some reason I feel even worse now.

Don't get me wrong, I feel great physically, just it didn't fix all I thought it would.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!