Dairy? Yes or No

Options

Replies

• Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have to have a splash of milk in my coffee. Once or twice a year I get a jones for oatmeal raisin cookies with a glass of cold milk. Ethical food production is a big thing for me so I buy my milk at a local natural foods co-op. I also love Brillat-Savarin triple-creme cheese (butterfat content 75+%, go big or go home!) but generally only have it around the holidays. Echoing ceoverturf, if you're not lactose intolerant or have any other negative side effects, enjoy in moderation like everything else.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I've been hearing a lot about how milk is not good for you/possibly bad. What I'm mostly trusting, however, are seemingly well-researched videos, like this one from a medical researcher who includes sources at the bottom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzyFZcuHmeI

And this one, also based in research:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlaHsmJdwWw

It honestly stresses me out because I consume a lot of dairy :/ It's something I'm planning on working on, once I have a better handle on other nutritional issues.

Youtube videos are rarely the best source for scientific research.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    @stevencloser that is true, I was giving examples of places I heard similar things. It's my instinct to trust them because they give sources, and the first guy is a doctor. But I'm interested in hearing contradictory research for sure! It's stressed me out a lot hearing about this.
  • bekko57
    bekko57 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @kae612 I agree! I posted this question because I was hoping to find that this is not true and that dairy in moderation is fine. Lots of people have stated that it is fine but what research are they basing their opinions on? I have no research either way and should probably do my own. I figured in a group like this somebody out there must have some info/research on this.
  • bekko57
    bekko57 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that was written based on tons of medical journal articles..

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products
  • Lmichella1952
    Lmichella1952 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Think about it like this... We humans are the only species in this planet that drinks milk of other animals after childhood. We are not supposed to do this. Do some research and find out the truth.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Think about it like this... We humans are the only species in this planet that drinks milk of other animals after childhood. We are not supposed to do this. Do some research and find out the truth.

Even if true that we are the only species that does this, which it isnt, what's the relevance?

And many cats and most if not near all dogs will happily drink cows milk, and eat yogurt, and cheese, just about any dairy product there is if offered. Even as adults.

You seem to be confusing most mammals inability to harvest milk from other species of mammals and Inability to produce various dairy products from it, with some kind of intelligible providential law on how all mammals ought to do things. 'We are not supposed to do this' says who? Why not?

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    @bekko57 yeah! I need to do more research myself I guess. When I look it up, I see a lot of the "milk is bad" perspective being supported. But not much on "milk is good" other than protein and tradition. :/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The reason you don't see a lot of "milk is good" research is because all that work was done at the turn of the century (20th century). It's old knowledge.

I remember textbook pictures of peasant children, one raised with extra milk, the other not. The growth rate was markedly improved for the milk drinking child.

The picture is likely not readily found on the Internet and it is unlikely that such research would be ethical today.
  • jgnatca
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Humans are also the only species to cook/modify our food. We also have very expensive brains, calorie wise. I believe 20% of our calories go to our brains. Expensive brains are part of our evolutionary dominance.

https://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herculano_houzel_what_is_so_special_about_the_human_brain?language=en
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @kae612 try looking up information on casein and whey, two proteins found in milk.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cows Milk is fine if you don't mind sugar, growth hormones, antibiotics, and pus......hmmmm.......
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Also, while abuse on farms happens, it's not nearly as common as animal rights groups would want you to believe. An abused animal doesn't produce well. They want their animals healthy and happy so they will produce better.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Dairy ISN'T needed in the diet............that's true. But I'll be damned if I give up yogurt, cheese and ICE CREAM. As for cancer.............you can get it from sunlight, a cell phone, breathing in smog, etc.

Ummm... no you really can't.
    Unless you're talking to your MIL 2hrs/day. Badum tss... I'll be here all day.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love the high fat dairy products but think they may lead to head/chest congestion in my case.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Humans aren't supposed to do a lot of things that we do anyway. I agree with doing research, but getting proper nutritional and animal science information is not trivial unless you truly are trained in the fields or know how to properly access and navigate peer-reviewed scientific literature.

I have a PhD in physiology, have been a professor in a large university for over 20 years and conducted research & published steadily in such journals. Despite my experience, I find it difficult to work through the literature and it is very close to my own expertise.
  • dais718
    dais718 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dairy is bad for you. The hormones they give cows go right into you. Cut it out and you will feel much better
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    dais718 wrote: »
    Dairy is bad for you. The hormones they give cows go right into you. Cut it out and you will feel much better

Mmmmm, hormones.