The anti-sugar thing is now mainstream (check Twitter for #sugarrush).

Options
1235»

Replies

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    WRT taxes and reducing use, taxes do not discourage use. CF binge drinking culture in the UK and ongoing tobacco use especially with children and young adults.

Taxes do reduce use of a good UNLESS the good is inelastic.
    See U.S. prohibition as an example of an inelastic good being banned, not reducing use (probably increased it) and gave birth to Mafia.

Sugar is not inelastic. If it is taxed enough (in its megaprocessed form) its use will surely go down.
    Now walmart scooter people might be discouraged from buying their vats of sugared gruel and venture into the kale and sprouted grain isles... probably not...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    WRT taxes and reducing use, taxes do not discourage use.

I think it helps. When a product gets unaffordable, people may try to stop a bad habit (addiction). I know a few epode who quit smoking when the cost became prohibitive. $5 for a chocolate bar, rather than $1, might stop some people from buying it. It would have slowed me down, but I might have just bought a bag of chocolate chips instead.

The difference is that smoking is always bad for you. Chocolate is only bad in excess.

I know that....
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    WRT taxes and reducing use, taxes do not discourage use. CF binge drinking culture in the UK and ongoing tobacco use especially with children and young adults.

See U.S. prohibition as an example of an inelastic good being banned, not reducing use (probably increased it) and gave birth to Mafia.

Sugar is not inelastic. If it is taxed enough (in its megaprocessed form) its use will surely go down.
    Now walmart scooter people might be discouraged from buying their vats of sugared gruel and venture into the kale and sprouted grain isles... probably not...

You are probably right.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Now, don't lump all scooter users together. I'm here because I've had a couple of hip surgeries in the last couple years (congenital bone issues) so I use a scooter when grocery shopping if it's available.

But then I've always loved kale, and don't shop at Walmart.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

And mega processed vats of sugared gruel will be a luxury the upper classes get the right to indulge in. And they can condescendingly pat the poor on their stupid heads and say "Not for you."

• andrikosDE
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

And mega processed vats of sugared gruel will be a luxury the upper classes get the right to indulge in. And they can condescendingly pat the poor on their stupid heads and say "Not for you."

Ironically, it was just a couple of centuries ago when the aristocrats were the fat ones and the plebes were the skeletal ones.

Nowadays it's quite the opposite where the poor and the nutritionally unfortunate are malnourished and fat and you have to pay money (i.e. gym memberships) to stay trim and thin...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Not sure, the world price of sugar has gone from 4 to 25 and all stations in between without noticeable effect on consumption. It is generally an expensive ingredient but even so a 30c can of soda only contains 2 or 3c worth of sugar.
  • andrikosDE
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Not sure, the world price of sugar has gone from 4 to 25 and all stations in between without noticeable effect on consumption. It is generally an expensive ingredient but even so a 30c can of soda only contains 2 or 3c worth of sugar.

As a consumer you can buy a kilo of ultra refined sugar for less than 99c. I wouldn't call it expensive by any means.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I'd go education rather than taxes.

That plus getting rid of subsidies or at least certain ones.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

As a consumer you can buy a kilo of ultra refined sugar for less than 99c. I wouldn't call it expensive by any means.

Compared to a kg of flour or wheat it's an expensive ingredient, which is where HFCS and artificials originated - cost savers.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Anti sugar is not new! We ve known the evils of sugar for years!

Yeah....except it's not.

Better go do some research. In fact, go read some books: Why we get Fat, The Rosedale Diet, and Keto clarity. Then we can continue this conversation.

Sorry, it is you who need to be educated. I'm sorry you believe the no science media hype. Actually science has said otherwise.

Don't bother. I've seen that guy post in multiple threads already. It's always single drive-by posts with uneducated BS.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm a fence sitter on one hand I see how when you introduce a product like coco-cola into a country there seems to be an interesting trend towards obesity. Not saying you could actually prove that, but I think about Mexico and other developing countries who are seeing an epidemic of obesity and childhood diabeties.

On the other, it's sugar its glucose and fructose. We've been eating some type of sucrose for eons. Maybe not in the same quantities, but we can pretty much handle any macronutrient that is thrown at us.

Taxes is also a poop poop thing how does one define what is "junk food" and it is taxing the poorest citizens. If the government is concerned then start with the manufacturing process and introduce more subsidies for food production.
  • ldrosophila
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    WRT taxes and reducing use, taxes do not discourage use.

I think it helps. When a product gets unaffordable, people may try to stop a bad habit (addiction). I know a few epode who quit smoking when the cost became prohibitive. $5 for a chocolate bar, rather than $1, might stop some people from buying it. It would have slowed me down, but I might have just bought a bag of chocolate chips instead.

Problem is you are taxing the poorest, and you can't say eating a chocolate bar is equivalent to smoking. A chocolate bar is high in antioxidants and Mg. So should we tax popcorn or cheese? What gets taxed? Should a chocolate bar tax be implemented does that extend to tax on a chocolate flavored Quest bar? What about almond milk do we tax the sweentend almond milk but not the unsweetened? Sorry my soap box. I think a tax would be detrimental, and if not we need another Boston tea party.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Nope "walmart scooter people" aka poor people of America will just end up buying smaller vats, and sending their scooter children to bed hungry because kale and sprouted grains is cost prohibitive much like many proteins. Many of the scooter people live in areas that have poor access to fresh, keep in the refrigerator sprouted grains. Not to mention, lets pray to God they can still afford to pay the electricity, after paying for their vat of over taxed sugar gruel, to keep that kale and sprouted grain from going bad in their refrigerator.

Or we could just teach the walmart scooter people that food is not bad or good, healthy or sickly, and when they know that their electricity isn't going to go off and have access to wholesome food maybe they'll be able to walk away from the scooter.