Low carb???

Options
Anyone else doing a low carb diet? If so any tips?

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Love low carb. I've lost about 55 pounds in the past year. My tip is to keep fat intake high and protein moderate.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm loving low carb high fat too. Combine that with a caloric deficit and it can equal easier weight loss for many people.

My tip would be not to be afraid of high fat. If your carbs are lowered then chances are your fat intake had in increase. Fat won't make you fat unless you are eating way too much.

Also, don't be afraid of going very low carb. People can live very well on 150g, or 100g or less than 50g of carbs per day. In fact, the lower carb you go, often the more health benefits are found, and the lower your hunger and carb craving levels are.

The Low Carber Daily group is a good place to go for more info. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck!
  • wible404
    wible404 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been counting cals and working out 5 days a week and lost nothing. Went to the doc for help and he recommended low carb. Started it yesterday, feeling really sluggish today. I'm sure that'll pass as I get used to it
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    You may be in the keto-flu. When carbs are dropped you lose water, potassium, magnesium and sodium (salt), and that can make you feel tired, cranky, headachy, and even nauseated. Add extra salt to you diet to about 5000mg - that's about doubled. I drink a cup of water with a tsp of salt in it every morning.... I know it seems crazy but it helps. :)

It should only last a week or so - shorter if you up the elsctrolytes.

Good luck. :)
  • jaywirth88
    jaywirth88 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am staying in the 50-100 carb range. I keep hearing about 'high fat' but exactly what range of fat should i be eating?
  • wible404
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You may be in the keto-flu. When carbs are dropped you lose water, potassium, magnesium and sodium (salt), and that can make you feel tired, cranky, headachy, and even nauseated. Add extra salt to you diet to about 5000mg - that's about doubled. I drink a cup of water with a tsp of salt in it every morning.... I know it seems crazy but it helps. :)

It should only last a week or so - shorter if you up the elsctrolytes.

Good luck. :)

Definitely will do! Thanks for the info. I'm sure my family thanks you also as I've been REALLY cranky lol! Soon this part will be behind me
  • BethTate2015
    BethTate2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I followed the Ultra Lite plan and found it very successful. After about a six weeks I lost 12 pounds. Easily kept it off for over a year and was able to reintroduce some of my no no foods like deserts and a glass of wine (sparingly) to my food plan. really felt confidant that I had found THE KEY. So went off the plan (again thinking I could easily go back to it) but nay nay. This time around it is not so easy...

I think commitment is key.

That is the trick with anything.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you have no medical reason to cut out a food/macro..why should you?

I eat all the carbs i want and lost just fine over 108 pounds now.

You lose weight when you create a deficit ( so eat less calories than you burn)
    To do so, weigh all your food on a food scale.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I aim for 75% of my calories from fat, but when I go very low carb ( under 20g daily) my fat intake is more like 80%. Once you become fat adapted, cravings go away and this lifestyle is incredibly easy to maintain. Eat enough protein, very few carbs and fat to satiety. As long as I get enough fat, I can go for long periods of time without eating, without even thinking of eating.

My usually day starts off with Bulletproof coffee made with 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, .5-1 Tbsp MCT oil, and maybe 1 Tbsp heavy cream. This keeps me going all day long until supper which is usually meat with a low G.I veggies slathered in butter.
  • wible404
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I aim for 75% of my calories from fat, but when I go very low carb ( under 20g daily) my fat intake is more like 80%. Once you become fat adapted, cravings go away and this lifestyle is incredibly easy to maintain. Eat enough protein, very few carbs and fat to satiety. As long as I get enough fat, I can go for long periods of time without eating, without even thinking of eating.

My usually day starts off with Bulletproof coffee made with 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, .5-1 Tbsp MCT oil, and maybe 1 Tbsp heavy cream. This keeps me going all day long until supper which is usually meat with a low G.I veggies slathered in butter.

Did I read that right?? Butter in your coffee?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    wible404 wrote: »
    Kitnthecat wrote: »

Did I read that right?? Butter in your coffee?

You bet - bulletproof coffee often has a couple of tablespoons of butter or coconut oil blended into it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I try to be at around 100g which is actually very doable for me. I do have a higher carb breakfast which I think helps me stay on track and not feel sluggish.
  • khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My question on the high fat aspect; doesn't fat clog your arteries? Regardless of how much you eat? Over time it's got to be doing some nasty things to your insides.

I prefer fruits and vegetables, including high carb :smile:
  • code_monkey0
    code_monkey0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    khristiana wrote: »
    My question on the high fat aspect; doesn't fat clog your arteries? Regardless of how much you eat? Over time it's got to be doing some nasty things to your insides.

I prefer fruits and vegetables, including high carb :smile:

Let me preface everything with a big, giant, I'M-NOT-AN-EXPERT-BY-ANY-STRETCH-OF-THE-IMAGINATION. With that said, for sure eat however/whatever gets you where you're trying to go. If you prefer fruits and veggies to steak and bacon then have at it. To answer your question about relationships between high fat diets and heart disease, it seems that that's not really the case (study). Basically they studied 350,000 people (11,000 developed heart disease) and couldn't find a causal relationship between consumption of saturated fats and heart disease.

Here's a recent Forbes article talking about how high fat diets are being proven more healthy than previously thought. They go on to say, "Research has shown that high-carb diets, which have typically been the fallout of the low-fat movement, increase the risk of metabolic dysfunction, obesity, and even heart disease – all the things that low-fat diets were supposed to address." The distinction, if you read the article, is largely about eschewing fat to eat processed carbs - the example they give is banning whole milk in schools while serving fat-free milk with tons of added sugar.
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would love to do a low carb diet but some of the veggies I enjoy have more carbs than the others...I love my veggies and fruit. Not sure how long I'd last on the low carb but wanting to try sometime
  • dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I try to be at around 100g which is actually very doable for me. I do have a higher carb breakfast which I think helps me stay on track and not feel sluggish.

So would you lose if you consume around 100g of carbs? I think I eat 100g-170g of carbs a day. I don't lose weight that fast but slower is better from what people say on here...
  • jaywirth88
    jaywirth88 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have been eating between 50 and 100g of carbs a day and have averaged 2 lbs down a week. It gives me plenty of wiggle room for the fruits and veggies that i love, but all grains are completely out. I never really feel hungry either, so this is perfect for me!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »

So would you lose if you consume around 100g of carbs? I think I eat 100g-170g of carbs a day. I don't lose weight that fast but slower is better from what people say on here...

I've lost 78 pounds, most of that in 10 months (so just under 2 pounds a week) and through that period I was essentially eating a lower (not "low") carb diet consuming 100 - 150g carbs per day (my 90 day average on MFP is 118g). I set my target at 35% and don't worry too much if I'm over a bit.

Because I get a fair amount of aerobic exercise in each week (800-1500 calories 5 or 6 times a week - I'm a runner) many would consider my carb intake as low in that context but I find I perform just fine even on runs of 2 - 3 hours.

As a macro percentage that's 35% carbs.

Carbs from vegetables and legumes I simply do not worry about because I'm getting other nutrients from those sources too. Mostly I've restricted bread intake because I'm not getting much else with those calories.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    jaywirth88 wrote: »
    I am staying in the 50-100 carb range. I keep hearing about 'high fat' but exactly what range of fat should i be eating?

up to 100 grams a day off the top of my head. Less if you don't lose.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    khristiana wrote: »

No. Talk to a pathologist, there is no "fat clogs your arteries" it's a simplistic message with no basis in anything.