Replies

• wible404
    wible404 Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    wible404 wrote: »
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I aim for 75% of my calories from fat, but when I go very low carb ( under 20g daily) my fat intake is more like 80%. Once you become fat adapted, cravings go away and this lifestyle is incredibly easy to maintain. Eat enough protein, very few carbs and fat to satiety. As long as I get enough fat, I can go for long periods of time without eating, without even thinking of eating.

My usually day starts off with Bulletproof coffee made with 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, .5-1 Tbsp MCT oil, and maybe 1 Tbsp heavy cream. This keeps me going all day long until supper which is usually meat with a low G.I veggies slathered in butter.

Did I read that right?? Butter in your coffee?

You bet - bulletproof coffee often has a couple of tablespoons of butter or coconut oil blended into it.

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been counting cals and working out 5 days a week and lost nothing. Went to the doc for help and he recommended low carb. Started it yesterday, feeling really sluggish today. I'm sure that'll pass as I get used to it

It may take getting used to

I'm on the way to being literally half of my starting weight.

Low carb worked because of insulin resistance issues

But like you I also watched total calories and exercised

It mainly helped me feel full by eating more veggies

So feeling full in a calorie deficit and exercising worked great!

I hope you find what works for you.

Just remember that low carb still needs a calorie deficit to drop poundage.

If your body likes it and you stick with it, it will work!
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been counting cals and working out 5 days a week and lost nothing. Went to the doc for help and he recommended low carb. Started it yesterday, feeling really sluggish today. I'm sure that'll pass as I get used to it

I started on the 5th and on day 4 I felt the worst. Headache, extreme fatigue, lightheaded and dizzy, nauseous.It's day 5 and I'm feeling better. Still waiting on the energy though lol
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat a lower carb/higher protein diet (from 50 to 100 g carbs depending on how heavy I lift weights and whatever else exercise I do. The first 3 days are always very hard (like a detox) and it usually takes about 30 days to start feeling really, really good. But it is worth it. I usually eat around 1500 calories /day depending on exercise, and lost about 1 pound per week -- pretty good as I am over 60.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    khristiana wrote: »
    My question on the high fat aspect; doesn't fat clog your arteries? Regardless of how much you eat? Over time it's got to be doing some nasty things to your insides.

I prefer fruits and vegetables, including high carb :smile:

Let me preface everything with a big, giant, I'M-NOT-AN-EXPERT-BY-ANY-STRETCH-OF-THE-IMAGINATION. With that said, for sure eat however/whatever gets you where you're trying to go. If you prefer fruits and veggies to steak and bacon then have at it. To answer your question about relationships between high fat diets and heart disease, it seems that that's not really the case (study). Basically they studied 350,000 people (11,000 developed heart disease) and couldn't find a causal relationship between consumption of saturated fats and heart disease.

Here's a recent Forbes article talking about how high fat diets are being proven more healthy than previously thought. They go on to say, "Research has shown that high-carb diets, which have typically been the fallout of the low-fat movement, increase the risk of metabolic dysfunction, obesity, and even heart disease – all the things that low-fat diets were supposed to address." The distinction, if you read the article, is largely about eschewing fat to eat processed carbs - the example they give is banning whole milk in schools while serving fat-free milk with tons of added sugar.

they don't add sugar to fat-free milk....whatever article you are reading is full of shite. sugar does get added to a lot of fat free things...dairy isn't one of them. there is like a gram or two more sugar (naturally occurring lactose) in fat free milk vs regular due to the process of skimming the fat...because they skim the fat, they have to use more milk to get the same volume...and thus more lactose would be inherently present....

• khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I believe you should all watch the documentary Forks over Knives.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    ^^i own it and have seen it many times. Doesn't mean it's true or works for everyone
  • nljoyce104
    nljoyce104 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Low carb is a tough diet to be on if you're on a high gym routine (more than 3 times a week). It's a strange combination especially for women. Have you tried carb backloading? That may be more helpful since you work out a lot.

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I'm vegetarian for religious reasons and I'm on a ketogenic diet.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

why? the OP is asking about a low carb diet.
  • wible404
    wible404 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok so I upped the carb intake to 50-100 daily and feel much better!! And I've lost 1 lb since Monday! Doc recommend 20-30 and to get my carbs from veggies. Which I'm doing but with more carbs. It just doesn't work out with 5 days a week workout routine. Maybe I can drop it down more slowly after some time.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It took me a few months to go from 180 to 60. I worked 40-60g for a few months and had energy issues. Once I dropped below 30, I was fine. I occasionally go above 30g and sometimes my dietitian has me carb cycle or try a food that bumps me close to 50 for the day, but I drop right back down the next.

Give yourself some time. I suggest moving your carb line 5g one way or another and give yourself 7-10 days at that level before moving it again. The "5g at a time" drop worked for me. I just couldn't do the big drop or cold turkey. Not everyone can. Good luck!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I believe that anyone who gets nutritional 'science' from a documentary of any sort needs to re-evaluate their sources.