Dairy? Yes or No

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My son in law is from an East African tribe that centres its culture around cattle. Milk is consumed by all ages. The people are very tall.

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    dais718 wrote: »
    Dairy is bad for you. The hormones they give cows go right into you. Cut it out and you will feel much better

What hormones? Most milk sold now doesn't have rBST, etc.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Cows Milk is fine if you don't mind sugar, growth hormones, antibiotics, and pus......hmmmm.......

I'm sitting snacking on 100g of cottage cheese and I don't mind at all!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Cows Milk is fine if you don't mind sugar...and pus......

I don't! (By pus you just mean white blood cells.)
    growth hormones, antibiotics

I don't always have an issue with these things either. Antibiotics certainly have their uses and some humans benefit from growth hormone (I would agree that they typically are given it by prescription, but the fear mongering is just annoying). In any case this is a separate issue since you can choose to get dairy from cows that aren't given these.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    rBST is banned in the EU so that's not a problem.
    To be honest though, when I lived in the US I could not stand drinking milk, I thought it was disgusting.
    I have no problem with milk here in the EU (various countries).
    And the yogurt and infinite variety or cheeses... oh man... I'm drooling now...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My mutant ancestors and their ability to digest lactose says YES YES YES A RESOUNDING YES!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    I have to have a splash of milk in my coffee. Once or twice a year I get a jones for oatmeal raisin cookies with a glass of cold milk. Ethical food production is a big thing for me so I buy my milk at a local natural foods co-op. I also love Brillat-Savarin triple-creme cheese (butterfat content 75+%, go big or go home!) but generally only have it around the holidays. Echoing ceoverturf, if you're not lactose intolerant or have any other negative side effects, enjoy in moderation like everything else.

your cheese sound intriguing

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Fearmongering, Youtube, and blogs by doctors with very clear biases ... not exactly a trifecta of success for the scientific method.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    dais718 wrote: »
    Dairy is bad for you. The hormones they give cows go right into you. Cut it out and you will feel much better

They go right into you, and are then broken down in your digestive tract just like any other protein.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Think about it like this... We humans are the only species in this planet that drinks milk of other animals after childhood. We are not supposed to do this. Do some research and find out the truth.

Nonsense. We are not much different than other animals, except for our ingenuity. Many animals will drink milk if offered it. Few humans would drink it if they had to do so directly from the teat.

What other animals drink coffee or tea or soda or wine or beer or bottled water? What animals plant and grow food rather than forage for it?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    bekko57 wrote: »
    Jgnatca, yes I agree that milk is the very best food for infants (all mammals)... But mammals drink their mother's milk not cow's milk. We are the only mammal (and I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong) that drinks another animal's milk.

You're wrong

050905_dogtigers.jpg

No+other+animal+drinks+from+another+animals+milk+eh+_52f4a54d46c8eef62d69060f78a48bb1.jpg

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Jgnatca, yes I agree that milk is the very best food for infants (all mammals)... But mammals drink their mother's milk not cow's milk. We are the only mammal (and I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong) that drinks another animal's milk.

You are wrong. Ever heard of offering a cat a saucer of milk? Animals of all sorts will drink milk or eat cheese when offered. Many of my chickens love yogurt.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Dairy isn't needed in a healthy diet, but in moderation it is healthy.

I personally do not eat a lot of it and I never drink milk.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Tape your thumb to your hand and pick up a coffee cup of milk. Boom.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    right now I am on the whole30 program so no.
  • bekko57
    bekko57 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

You are so right! I see this happening everywhere! What was I thinking?

You're wrong

050905_dogtigers.jpg

No+other+animal+drinks+from+another+animals+milk+eh+_52f4a54d46c8eef62d69060f78a48bb1.jpg

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Even if everyone grants that mammals drinking milk of other mammals is uncommon, what is the relevance? What does it matter what other mammals do or don't do to the question of whether dairy is detrimental?

And why must you see mammals drinking milk of other mammals "everywhere"? Isn't seeing and learning that it happens at all enough for you to see that this point made by you and at least one other person in this thread isn't a strong one?
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    right now I am on the whole30 program so no.

Please please let us know how it goes. I am contemplating going grain and dairy free to see if it helps with some conditions but i don't know if i have the willpower!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Unless you're lactose intolerant - lol -that doesn't even matter, with all the lactose free dairy products on the market now. I'm lactose intolerant and enjoy all the dairy I can buy and eat/drink, within my calorie goals. It's a great source of protein and another source of calcium, to boot. If there's an ethical component to it, that's the consumer's choice, completely. Don't buy it if you disagree with it. It certainly doesn't cause cancer, and it won't make you sick - that's why it's pasteurized. It's also a great source of healthy fat, since I drink the whole-fat variety.
    And dairy products are delicious, and another way to enjoy yummy foods.
  • FlyingA
    FlyingA Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I do eat dairy, but the milk comes from small family farms where the cows are well treated.

Is your milk and cheese the product of blatant animal cruelty?

Every time Mercy For Animals’ undercover investigators go behind the closed doors of dairy factory farms they document widespread acts of animal abuse that shock and horrify most people. Multiple investigations at dairy factory farms across the country have exposed sickening cruelty to animals, including workers viciously beating, stabbing, and dragging sick and injured cows. These investigations have uncovered:

Read more:
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Also, while abuse on farms happens, it's not nearly as common as animal rights groups would want you to believe. An abused animal doesn't produce well. They want their animals healthy and happy so they will produce better.

Exactly! Please do not assume that more cows equals worse care. There are a few bad apples in the bunch but by and large most dairy farmers make every effort to keep cows as happy and healthy as possible because, as the earlier poster said, they produce better. (And because they are good human beings who work with animals every day and care about cows' well being.) I highly suggest finding a dairy in your area to tour and ask questions of the farmer before labeling them as abusive factory farms based solely on numbers.