Organic...

Options
1232425262729»

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a pound of organic strawberries right now in honor of this thread.

And they are every bit as tasteless as the non organic ones in this variety...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Hahaha! Thanks for taking one for the team. My sister gave me an organic chocolate easter egg. I'm already smug enough, and couldn't face the though of eating it, so I gave it away.

:smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Fruit is often picked too early in order to make it to market. The organic strawberries I harvest from my garden are amazing. Because I am eating them, using them, or freezing them right away, I can wait until they are at peak ripeness before harvesting them.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Last I checked, Alaska is still part of the US and they surely have Polar Bears in the wild. According to this image, we should be checking how many insect species have disappeared in Brazil and India.

image012.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nice post, @jgnatca!

With such huge insect populations, it seems incongruous (according to pro-organic people) that India and Brazil can have such huge consumption of pesticides.

Again, very nice post and referencing.
  • edellaSut
    edellaSut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Organic is important to me, as I'm following the Wahl Paleo Plus Protocol (veg, veg & more veg...) and quite a lot of it raw in smoothie form. So yes, junk on food is an issue. However, one of the major advantages of living in the UK with its Big Nanny culture, is that food regulation is not too corrupt and our food is generally OK. The EU, which supplies a lot of food as well, is even stricter. And there is a very active movement (from 2nd WW legislations) that makes it fairly easy to grow veg in neighbourhood allotments -- in most EU countries as well. However my main priority is the pureness of the fat that I cook with, so what animls are fed is very important. And I like my meat to be grass fed as well, but when poor, settle for mince rather than steak. Also nothing factory-farmed, like fish, so I splurge on wild produce when in season, and settle for tinned wild salmon off-season. Its about what the animals are fed, rather than what I'm fed, because there, 'organic' does make a difference to the end product. But I am a very genial darwinian, and have no desire to persuade those who think organic is just an economical ploy of some sort: I am quite happy to see if 'the proof of the pudding will be in the eating' thereof -- or perhaps in the non-eating!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Last I checked, Alaska is still part of the US and they surely have Polar Bears in the wild. According to this image, we should be checking how many insect species have disappeared in Brazil and India.

image012.jpg

also, I would believe that graph shows how mosquito control (a use of pesticides which has saved millions of lives) plays a big roll in the total pesticide numbers.
  • mrodriquez
    mrodriquez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I can't wrap my head around is why anyone would be against organic gardening or think that organic food "sucks". I mean I totally get thinking it's not necessary, doesn't taste better, not more nutritious, but why the hate?

I think its all the arrogant talk and condescending schooling by those that use organics. The folks I live with praise it, swear by it, and half the food rots because I watch them eat organic macaroni and cheese, organic kettle corn, dry gin and Hennessy because its "cleaner", reeses must be organic too! Those small farms are so unregulated and it will never feed the masses, and a lot of animals suffer mot getting treated with antibiotics that could help or save their lives until their condition is cleared up. * It's the hypocrisy when you miss the right isles in the first place!
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Organic or not really doesn't matter. If you really want to eat more organic, grow a garden and raise and kill your own meat. I have not been able to grow a garden recently like I would like so I just buy from the store or hit up farmers markets/amish when I can. As for meats, I don't have time to raise chickens and such, however I do hunt and have not bought beef unless eating out in the past 6 years. Doesn't get much more organic than straight from the wild to the table.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    image012.jpg

That map is very interesting, especially since it shows Use of Lousing Agents in Cold Storage at International Airports During the Month of April 2009. Ok, I totally made that up, but who knows what the map is reporting since there is no reference information provided to discern what pesticide, what time frame, and what use. Looking at it a little further, it looks like a team of students posted it to the internet as part of a school assignment back in 2006. The other maps in the students' report have slightly more reference information than the pesticide map shown above.

When I recreated the same map from the FAOSTAT website for both 2005 and 2006, they were entirely different. My theory is the students pulled the wrong data set or it was incomplete (for example, the students pulled only a partial year of data instead of the entire year or perhaps pulled only a single pesticide instead of all pesticides used in agriculture). See below for the correct map and source information. There's a link where you can recreate it (for whatever year).

It's quite interesting that there's an assumed linked between that map and mosquito control since the FAOSTAT website is a food and agricultural website. Has nothing to do with mosquitoes really. But, that's neither here nor there. The argument that mosquito control is beneficial therefore all pesticide use is beneficial is sort of like saying, since chlorine is harmless in the water supply, we should add little bits of chlorine to everything. Or: since iron supplements are good for me, I should take lots! :):) the more the merrier!

Here's the map from the current FAOSTAT website "faostat3" (notice the updated format) showing pesticide use on agricultural land from 1992 through 2010. You can also use the link below to recreate the map for 2006 and compare it to the above map (very very different picture I'd say).

yz0fufwr3vhv.jpg

source: http://faostat3.fao.org/browse/E/EP/E

Here's a second showing emissions from use of synthetic fertilizer (1992 through 2010):

2vaw5nbqbfv5.jpg

source: http://faostat3.fao.org/browse/G1/GY/E

After seeing the map I couldn't resist coming back to say thanks for posting it! The FAOSTAT website is such a great find. All kinds of useful information--although, I'd recommend using the updated site since there seems to be some confusion from their old website--the old site is awfully clunky and hard to use.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    What happened to the LANCB?
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    flg4q2mzrhhg.jpg
    I used to work on an organic farm. They were held to very high standards and NEVER used pesticides. You know how we got rid of these guys? Hand picked them off the plants and squished them!

... Squish them? :,(

Lol, waste of good fishing bait, right?! Yes, squish or introduce this parasitic wasp that kills them by laying its eggs.
    whomi59eaeos.jpg