Extreme Low Carb Diet

Options
My mom and co worker have convinced me that a low carb diet is what I should follow to reach my weight loss goals. I've read the other forums and am not interested in the debate on whether low calorie or low carb is the better of two.. I've tried low carb, I did well on it but constantly felt hungry. I know different diets work for different people, but these two people in particular have lost significant weight following extreme low carb diet. My coworker has lost 120 pounds since January of this year when he went to the doctor for the first time in awhile and found out he was diabetic and weighed over 300 pounds. These two people are following a diet similar to Atkins.. only eating 20-30 carbs per day. I suppose my question is.. is this realistic? 20 carbs is not a lot at all especially when you're used to eating 200-250 carbs per day. I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @gettingfitformywedding it is true we are all different. For a year I have been <50 grams of carbs daily. I did not do this to lose weight but to manage my arthritis pain levels without Rx meds and after 30 days it has been working well for pain management. In my case it cured my IBS after six months and I have lost more weight.

I found extreme low carb diet did not work for me at first. After I moved to very Low Carb High Fat it started working like a charm. The fat seems to be key in my case because I stay stuffed most of the time eating all that I want. Actually a year in I have having to cut back from my normal 2600 daily calories that was giving me on average a 3 pound a month loss just because I get full faster now. Currently my macro is around 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats.

There is nothing magical about a very LCHF diet. In my case my carb gauge does not work so I could eat and eat carbs. My fat gauge works well and getting even better so I have to push back from the table before I over consume calories eating the LCHF lifestyle.

Yes during the first 90 days I make mistakes because I did not know carbs added to most everything especially foods labeled Low Fat and Heart Health. Again I was out for pain manage. Since it worked well I am sold for the rest of my life on LCHF as long as it manages my pain. After a couple weeks of going off carbs cold turkey the craving/hunger faded away and a year later have not returned. I eat until I feel full and still lose weight slowly.

Welcome to the MFP forums and the best of success.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is possible to do a low carb and high fat diet:
    Eat butter, sour cream, oils, meat, nuts, fish, eggs, and lots of leafy greens and veggies like these: romaine, spinach, swiss chard, collards, kale, cabbage, bok choy, mushrooms, avocados, okra, cucumbers, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, snow peas.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    My mom and co worker have convinced me that a low carb diet is what I should follow to reach my weight loss goals. I've read the other forums and am not interested in the debate on whether low calorie or low carb is the better of two.. I've tried low carb, I did well on it but constantly felt hungry. I know different diets work for different people, but these two people in particular have lost significant weight following extreme low carb diet. My coworker has lost 120 pounds since January of this year when he went to the doctor for the first time in awhile and found out he was diabetic and weighed over 300 pounds. These two people are following a diet similar to Atkins.. only eating 20-30 carbs per day. I suppose my question is.. is this realistic? 20 carbs is not a lot at all especially when you're used to eating 200-250 carbs per day. I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

If a low carb diet helps you implement a low calorie diet, good for you. If you expect to eat the same calories that you do today, but only change the macros, nothing will happen.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    a low carb diet is essentially a way to cut calories. Unless you are diabetic, or have a history of diabetes in your family perhaps, it's generally unnecessary to follow a LC diet.

I generally eat fairly low carb (not lately LOL!) simply because hubby is diabetic, but its far from a VLCD- hes allowed 30 carbs per meal (so 90 total a day). I would have to look but most of the time, I'm probably under that (but again, for me its not something I specifically track)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

Any weight loss regime will lead to weight regain if you just go back to your original eating habits after getting to target. You need to evaluate why you gained the weight originally and avoid repeating that.

The published Atkins diet is a 4 phase plan to get from initial weight loss through to maintenance, it's based on what worked in clinical practice.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?
    Pfft. If he lost 120 lbs, he was eating way over the daily recommended amount of carbs (whatever that is). If he decides to eat more carbs, he can just reassess his meal plans.
    As for hunger, meat is low carb and very filling.
    The weight loss method you should folllow is the one you actually like...
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 130 lbs on a lower carb focused calorie restricted diet

It worked for insulin resistance issues and I felt full.

But as with any diet strategy, following the nutrient types in excessive calories will cause it to fail.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Just want to make sure you know Atkins uses net carbs rather than total carbs (grams of total carbohydrates minus grams of fiber) so you get somewhat more than 20 total carbs.

I wouldn't want to go through the suffering of plummeting from 200 carbs to 20 carbs. How about you taper down?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ok, I admit, I'm lost. You said you don't want a debate of if low carb or low calorie is better, but then you're asking if your coworker will gain back all his weight, so it seems you're trying to determine if low carb works.

It's all about calorie deficit; your coworker is losing because he created a deficit through the reduction of his carbs.

So, will your coworker gain back the weight if he ups his carbs? Maybe. He'd gains some initial water weight due to replenishing glycogen stores. If adding in carbs puts him in a calorie surplus, yes, he'd start gaining again. If he added in carbs but ate at maintenance, he's maintain after the initial water gain.

Is it realistic? Not sure about the question really. As mentioned, that's net carbs, so you could still eat a fair amount of leafy vegetables and the like. It's going to depend on the person if that way of eating will work for them. You said you were always hungry when you did low carb; you could try adding in more fats to your diet to keep you feeling satiated, or it may just be that you don't do well on low carb.

Advice? I have no clue what you're actually looking for in the way of advice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    low carb is just a way to cut calories...if you low carb and lose weight then you've also cut calories. people do put on some weight when they introduce carbs back into their diet as they restore depleted glycogen stores...essentially water...which has mass and thus weight.

also, it doesn't matter what diet you follow....if you go back to old habits and overeating you will gain weight. weight management requires calorie control.

there's nothing wrong with low carb if that's what works...but you should still educate yourself on what is actually going on...'cuz otherwise things get annoying.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    No advice here, just experience. I have tried low carb many times and failed. I never got satiated for some reason. Even increasing my fat intake just made me feel sick. I am currently doing no to very low carb. I think the dairy and nuts I allowed before just spurred my appetite. I am essentially doing meat and eggs with mayo and spices/hot sauce. It's boring but working better than anything I tried before. I am an over eater no matter healthy or junk. On paleo it was bananas and nuts instead of pop tarts but still... The lack of variety keeps me from eating just because. I hope to find some balance when I am closer to goal. Best of luck whatever you choose.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If a low carb diet helps you implement a low calorie diet, good for you. If you expect to eat the same calories that you do today, but only change the macros, nothing will happen.

Not true. You CAN eat more calories and lose weight if you're limiting carbs.
    To the op, I on Atkins now and you need to make sure you are eating enough fat to feel full. I eat 3-4 meals a day and I am satisfied and I used to eat junk food all day long.
    Edit to add, Atkins can be low calorie depending on what you eat but you're not supposed to count calories. I know that I'm eating about 1800-1900 calories though and I've lost 4 pounds in the last 4 days with no exercise so...obv something is working
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oh, read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Is it realist - yes
    Does it work - yes
    is it healthy - yes
    will it work for you - yes, if you eat in a calorie deficit.
    Is it sustainable - yes, for many people it is.
    Will it be sustainable for you - ?????? Only you can answer that one.

Its healthy - give it a go for 30 days, you will either like it or you won't.

Low carb is no magic pill. It's a handy tool to help you control your appetite. And for weight loss helps you eat in a calorie deficit.

It's also a great tool if you don't want to log food, weigh food or count calories (intuitive eating - or maybe the phrase should be old school eating).

Good luck.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to eat lower calories for weight loss on a lower carb/higher protein diet (I just don't get as hungry). Some people do well on lower carb food plans; other people seem to need more carbs to feel good and stick to whatever calories they need to eat to lose weight. You may have to try and see what works best for you. My experience is pretty typical: I have to eat less calories than my daily burn to lose weight, and I had to find what works best for me to sustain lower calorie eating without feeling too hungry.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    a low carb diet is essentially a way to cut calories. Unless you are diabetic, or have a history of diabetes in your family perhaps, it's generally unnecessary to follow a LC diet.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    low carb is just a way to cut calories...if you low carb and lose weight then you've also cut calories. people do put on some weight when they introduce carbs back into their diet as they restore depleted glycogen stores...essentially water...which has mass and thus weight.

I would disagree that low carb is just a way to cut calories. I'm sure it is for some people because carbs are easy to cut, but LCHF is a way of eating that most use to improve their health. It can be eaten in a calorie deficit or not, or to bulk.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

Not true. You CAN eat more calories and lose weight if you're limiting carbs.
    To the op, I on Atkins now and you need to make sure you are eating enough fat to feel full. I eat 3-4 meals a day and I am satisfied and I used to eat junk food all day long.
    Edit to add, Atkins can be low calorie depending on what you eat but you're not supposed to count calories. I know that I'm eating about 1800-1900 calories though and I've lost 4 pounds in the last 4 days with no exercise so...obv something is working

Sorry, to clarify, are you saying that if you eat a low carb diet, you can eat in a calorie surplus above your maintenance level and still lose weight?

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

You say you don't want a debate but ask if 20-30g a day is realistic? In my opinion, No. I could not succeed long term on something so restrictive especially with my eating disorder. Any diet that limits one of the 3 macronutrients is not realistic. More than likely he will gain weight, but the recidivism for all weight loss is something like 95% or more. However, when you add multiple restrictions in the absence of allergies or intolerance the game plan isn't going to be very successful

You'd be better focusing on portion control, calorie management, and trying to increase the amount of vegetables you consume. That's my 2 cents.

Also, here is a little FYI the weight loss registry tracks people who have maintained weight for many years and the majority of maintainers eat breakfast, eat low fat, and exercise

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/1/222S.full
  • gettingfitformywedding
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted their opinion and advice! I read through everyone's response and have decided to follow the low carb for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm on day two and feel lots of energy and don't feel hungry! As I had said before, I did low cal and did well on it, but am wanting to see how my body responds to something different. Sometimes it's good to shake things up a bit. Every person responds differently to different things. I will post my 15 day results.