Unfit bosses

Options
Don't get me wrong, I love my superiors. They generally care about my wellbeing, but not for the eating habits. Since they live near, they usually offer to give me a ride. But I hate it when they have spontaneous dinners and drinking sessions and I'm just internally forced to tag along. It's not that unhealthy, but it doesn't help in my weight loss journey either. Help!

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If you feel you have to attend these events drink water and limit your calorie intake.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    What do their eating habits have to do with anything-they aren't force feeding you whatever they eat are they? And if you don't want to go out with them, just don't go out with them. You're an adult, you make your own decisions right?? If it is a case of you know if you accept a lift off them and will be forced to go to some place because they make an 'executive' decision that is where they are detouring after work, don't grab a lift with them, get the bus or something.

I don't get why this is a problem.
  • MrPriolos
    MrPriolos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eating can be social and fun too! Food is not love or an enemy... it's just fuel. Go have fun, pick the carrots and celery appetizer and choose water with lime to drink. Enjoy the company!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What kind of job do you have that you are obligated to attended spontaneous dinners and drinking sessions?
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You can just say sorry I have other plans for tonight and not go. If you do just don't drink and opt for a light meal. I was away on business and had to go out for a business meeting/dinner to a place famous for their big roasts. I opted for a light vegetarian meal and I got a bit of stick from my bosses for that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Are these bosses men? How do you normally deal with unwanted male attention?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Can you transport yourself to and from work?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you that much, find another way to get home. You can't expect friends or coworkers to change how they do things to accommodate your weight loss journey.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    What do their eating habits have to do with anything-they aren't force feeding you whatever they eat are they? And if you don't want to go out with them, just don't go out with them. You're an adult, you make your own decisions right?? If it is a case of you know if you accept a lift off them and will be forced to go to some place because they make an 'executive' decision that is where they are detouring after work, don't grab a lift with them, get the bus or something.

I don't get why this is a problem.

This. And if you're going out to eat, order a salad or healthier option, eat a smaller portion, or just have a few bites from a shared appetizer. If I don't have a lot of calories left for drinks, I do hard liquor in either a diet mixer or straight (like whisky) and then nurse one drink for an hour.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Why would it relate to their gender at all?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You DON'T have to take the ride.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Yes, it was a very heterocentric and othering question.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat or drink, don't. If your bosses are making eating and drinking a requirement for you keeping your job, talk to HR.
  • kshama2001
    Options

If she sees that they are not giving her a ride and taking her drinking to be friendly but to get into her pants (if this is the case), it may be easier for her to turn down their invitations.

• kshama2001
    Options

Yes, it was a very heterocentric and othering question.

I considered adding "lesbian" but since I have seen this behavior often from het men and never from lesbians, I didn't.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love my superiors. They generally care about my wellbeing, but not for the eating habits. Since they live near, they usually offer to give me a ride. But I hate it when they have spontaneous dinners and drinking sessions and I'm just internally forced to tag along. It's not that unhealthy, but it doesn't help in my weight loss journey either. Help!

So, let me get this straight.

Your company provides you with free transport, free dinner parties with free food and free drinks on top of your salary and other work related entitlements?

Daaaaaaaaamn, that's a good gig.

Get a bike and ride to work. Or run in. Job done.

• kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    These decisions can be difficult because it may not be a case of being "forced" to go along in order to keep a job, more that in many cases promotions and such tend to become available to those who have schmoozed a little with the bosses. Since this will always be unstated, it can't usually be taken up with HR with any success. So the decision becomes whether to focus on weight loss or career. I second those who have said to choose carefully what you eat, or to order one drink and nurse it for the evening. These are habits that will be useful after you have lost the desired weight and are maintaining, too.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    These decisions can be difficult because it may not be a case of being "forced" to go along in order to keep a job, more that in many cases promotions and such tend to become available to those who have schmoozed a little with the bosses. Since this will always be unstated, it can't usually be taken up with HR with any success. So the decision becomes whether to focus on weight loss or career. I second those who have said to choose carefully what you eat, or to order one drink and nurse it for the evening. These are habits that will be useful after you have lost the desired weight and are maintaining, too.
    Why is it a focus on weight loss or career when your very next sentence shows that it isn't? It's straightforward to do both.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

This is blunt, but it seems to me you are setting yourself up as a victim by your statement in bold. You have the power over your actions one hundred percent of the time.

If you're uncomfortable, can you not ride with them?

If they suggest dinner, can you tell them no thank you because you need to get home? Or, you have other plans after work?

If you do choose eat dinner with them, can you limit your food/drink intake earlier so it does fit your calorie goals? Or, just leave some calories available in case if you don't know if you'll be going? Maybe pre-plan so you stay in your goals?

In my opinion, pre-planning helps.