Abs abs please i want tight core

Options
doralim1990
doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
i do abs workout EVERYDAY : 4 sets of 6 different exercises (crunches,russian twist, mountain climber, bike crunches etc), 20 rep each. But still my abs are flabby as hell. I am not saying they're big, they just not toned enough.

I pretty much eat 80% clean.

I did lose a little bit of weight (3lbs) and toned up my legs. But my abs are kinda "jiggly". Any recommendation?

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    So getting them to show is all diet.. you have to lose fat. Building them don't forget to put some resistance training in. Then be persistent, it's a journey and takes time!
  • doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So getting them to show is all diet.. you have to lose fat. Building them don't forget to put some resistance training in. Then be persistent, it's a journey and takes time!

Forgot to mention that i did hiit workout about 25 mins each day with abs routine. No matter what i always try to squeeze them abs routine in my workout. I've been doing it for 1,5 month
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Your genetics just keeps fat more on your abs than anywhere else. Get your BODYFAT % down to 20%-17% and a defined ab area should show.

BTW, doing a bunch of ab exercises doesn't make them POP more. The muscle will be more conditioned, but that doesn't affect how they look much at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If your diet is on point, then do a bunch of cardio to burn some extra fat. You probably have an awesome core from all the work you've done but you won't see it until you lose the belly fat covering it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    To echo the above, your body fat percentage needs to decrease so that the belly fat still hanging around starts to diminish, but also other areas of your body will loose fat as well.. can't spot reduce one area of the body..
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    From my experience (I lost bunch of weight and had a good 5 pack) Is to just hit it hard. I was doing 1000-2000 crunches per gym sesh and they were with 35-45lb weights added. I hit it that hard for a loooooonng time that even when stopping exercising for over a year and gaining over 50lbs i can still see the abs. So i recommend just doing so much crunch exercises that your abs will have no choice but to come out!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If your diet is on point, then do a bunch of cardio to burn some extra fat. You probably have an awesome core from all the work you've done but you won't see it until you lose the belly fat covering it.
    You don't need to do cardio to burn fat. Cardio burns calories and doesn't target fat as it's first source of energy. It's an ongoing myth that's echoed by many fitness/diet people who aren't really that familiar with physiology.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    From my experience (I lost bunch of weight and had a good 5 pack) Is to just hit it hard. I was doing 1000-2000 crunches per gym sesh and they were with 35-45lb weights added. I hit it that hard for a loooooonng time that even when stopping exercising for over a year and gaining over 50lbs i can still see the abs. So i recommend just doing so much crunch exercises that your abs will have no choice but to come out!
    Nope. Doing crunches works the muscle underneath the fat. To see the muscle, you reduce the fat by being in a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    i do abs workout EVERYDAY : 4 sets of 6 different exercises (crunches,russian twist, mountain climber, bike crunches etc), 20 rep each. But still my abs are flabby as hell. I am not saying they're big, they just not toned enough.

I pretty much eat 80% clean.

I did lose a little bit of weight (3lbs) and toned up my legs. But my abs are kinda "jiggly". Any recommendation?

If it's flabby it's fat. No amount of exercise is going to make your fat not jiggly. Only losing the fat will get you rid of that.
  • stevencloser
    Options

... Five pack?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Sorry but that is just not how it works..

• hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

You don't need to do cardio to burn fat. Cardio burns calories and doesn't target fat as it's first source of energy. It's an ongoing myth that's echoed by many fitness/diet people who aren't really that familiar with physiology.

So if I interpret your reply at face value, all I have to do to burn fat is eat at a deficit..and just exist?

I apologize if that sounds dickish, but I've never understood the thinly-veiled spite exhibited by some of us here for cardio.

• stevencloser
    edited September 2015
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »

So if I interpret your reply at face value, all I have to do to burn fat is eat at a deficit..and just exist?

I apologize if that sounds dickish, but I've never understood the thinly-veiled spite exhibited by some of us here for cardio.

Yeah, you can burn fat by merely existing while eating at a deficit. In fact, existing burns more calories than what most people are capable of burning through exercise. Some extra is nice but not required.
  • hamptontom
    Options

Yeah, you can burn fat by merely existing while eating at a deficit. In fact, existing burns more calories than what most people are capable of burning through exercise. Some extra is nice but not required.

so to that end, you're suggesting that the time I've spent walking, biking, going to the gym and hitting the elliptical machine...all the stuff that I've been doing for the last four months - has had little to no impact on the 45 pounds i've lost in that time, just because I've been eating less than 1700 calories a day all that time?

• ninerbuff
    edited September 2015
    Options

No spite. I do cardio every day..................for my heart. Yes I do burn calories, but I could just as easily eat those calories and NO FAT would be lost.

Ever seen people in a coma or unconscious for a long period of time and not have the ability to consume enough calories to maintain their weight? They lose weight and body fat. I personally have a couple of friends who are wheel chaired bound and each lost over 80lbs.................with no cardio at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

so to that end, you're suggesting that the time I've spent walking, biking, going to the gym and hitting the elliptical machine...all the stuff that I've been doing for the last four months - has had little to no impact on the 45 pounds i've lost in that time, just because I've been eating less than 1700 calories a day all that time?

You lose from a calorie deficit. It can come from eating alone, from exercise or a combination of both. I lost my weight eating back 100% of my exercise calories. I exercised for fitness and lost through my eating.

If you were eating in a deficit and exercising without compensating for the calories then yes, it helped you to lose. But, it wasn't required.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Exercise is for fitness and health. You DON'T need it to lose weight. You lost weight because of a calorie deficit.
    I'll wager money that if you did as much work as you wanted in a gym, on the road, etc., but ate 100 calories over your TDEE, you'd gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    OP, the only way to see the abs is to be in a deficit long enough for you to lose the fat covering them. No amount of ab exercises will do that unless they are part of what is contributing to you calorie deficit.
  • hamptontom
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, Niner...but when you say to someone "you don't need to do cardio to burn fat", it sounds dismissive...and could possibly be simplified to "you don't need to do cardio".

It's really hard to believe that I'd have gotten the results I've gotten if I hadn't been doing it these past few months.