Abs abs please i want tight core

Options

Replies

• doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also, if you're not taking in any good fats, you'll burn less fat overall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh my really? This week i totally eliminate my nuts intake because i went overboard eating them for the past 2 weeks. But i find that when I ate nuts i tend to be more slimmer or is it just me?!
  • doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i do abs workout EVERYDAY : 4 sets of 6 different exercises (crunches,russian twist, mountain climber, bike crunches etc), 20 rep each. But still my abs are flabby as hell. I am not saying they're big, they just not toned enough.

I did lose a little bit of weight (3lbs) and toned up my legs. But my abs are kinda "jiggly". Any recommendation?

I pretty much eat 80% clean.
    Try Hip Hop abs with Shaun T
    I have been doing it for two weeks and already feel the difference

Hi ya, do you buy the dvd or can you get in on youtube?
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The problem with these public posts is that everyone always veers away from the topic of what he/she wants or is asking for (advice) and ends up talking about their own problems. Doralim the fact about burning fat is you have to get to what's called a calorie deficit. That's where you burn more calories then you actually eat throughout the day. You can burn 3000 calories a day doing cardio, biking or whatever but if your eating say 3500 calories, you won't burn fat. You actually have to burn almost 2000 calories more than what you intake everyday just to burn one pound of body fat. And not be judgemental but to what the personal trainer niner said but if you think you can burn an extra 2000 calories a day and burn more fat by not doing cardio, it's not happening. Yes doing weights will burn fat but there'e no way your going to lose weight and have "abs" just doing weights unless your on some sort of steroids. A 300 pound person can do ab crunches till their blue in the face and you won't see any results until you lose weight and body fat. Good luck to you Doralim. And niner is saying you burn more fat sleeping than hiking? That is so far from the truth, is isn't even funny. So if I never exercise and just sleep, I'm going to lose more body fat than hiking two hours everyday, 7 days a week? Don't think so bud.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    The problem with these public posts is that everyone always veers away from the topic of what he/she wants or is asking for (advice) and ends up talking about their own problems. Doralim the fact about burning fat is you have to get to what's called a calorie deficit. That's where you burn more calories then you actually eat throughout the day. You can burn 3000 calories a day doing cardio, biking or whatever but if your eating say 3500 calories, you won't burn fat. You actually have to burn almost 2000 calories more than what you intake everyday just to burn one pound of body fat. And not be judgemental but to what the personal trainer niner said but if you think you can burn an extra 2000 calories a day and burn more fat by not doing cardio, it's not happening. Yes doing weights will burn fat but there'e no way your going to lose weight and have "abs" just doing weights unless your on some sort of steroids. A 300 pound person can do ab crunches till their blue in the face and you won't see any results until you lose weight and body fat. Good luck to you Doralim. And niner is saying you burn more fat sleeping than hiking? That is so far from the truth, is isn't even funny. So if I never exercise and just sleep, I'm going to lose more body fat than hiking two hours everyday, 7 days a week? Don't think so bud.
    8 hours of sleep burns about 600 calories (for my stats). Just by staying alive and breathing you're burning way more calories than most people burn through exercise additionally. And exercise doesn't use fat as an energy source primarily but instead your glycogen. That's what he said.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    8 hours of sleep burns about 600 calories (for my stats). Just by staying alive and breathing you're burning way more calories than most people burn through exercise additionally. And exercise doesn't use fat as an energy source primarily but instead your glycogen. That's what he said.
    @stevencloser
    Not strictly true. Exercise is fuelled by a blend of fuels for the most part. The lower the intensity the higher proportion of fat, the higher intensity the higher proportion of carbohydrate.
    It's only at the extreme low and high end of intensity that you burn all fat or all carbs.

As an example (from my tested respiritory exchange ratio):
    When cycling very steadily (90w of power, sub 100bpm HR, equivalent to a gentle/slow ride about 10-12mph outdoors) I'm getting the vast majority of my energy from fat and a little from carbohydrate. So I could cycle all day at that intensity.

At 180w (around 140bpm) the vast majority is coming from carbohydrate. The kind of intensity for a fast two hour ride. Push much beyond 2 hours without taking on carbs I will risk glycogen depletion - "bonking".

Somewhere between workrates of 180w and 210w I switch from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism.

(By the way for clarity - virtually no relevance to weight loss from the fuel used at the time of exercise but loads of relevance to exercise performance!).
  • stevencloser
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @stevencloser
    Not strictly true. Exercise is fuelled by a blend of fuels for the most part. The lower the intensity the higher proportion of fat, the higher intensity the higher proportion of carbohydrate.
    It's only at the extreme low and high end of intensity that you burn all fat or all carbs.

As an example (from my tested respiritory exchange ratio):
    When cycling very steadily (90w of power, sub 100bpm HR, equivalent to a gentle/slow ride about 10-12mph outdoors) I'm getting the vast majority of my energy from fat and a little from carbohydrate. So I could cycle all day at that intensity.

At 180w (around 140bpm) the vast majority is coming from carbohydrate. The kind of intensity for a fast two hour ride. Push much beyond 2 hours without taking on carbs I will risk glycogen depletion - "bonking".

Somewhere between workrates of 180w and 210w I switch from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism.

(By the way for clarity - virtually no relevance to weight loss from the fuel used at the time of exercise but loads of relevance to exercise performance!).

Aye, the depleted glycogen is going to get replaced later on from your dietary carbs and that will in turn lead to a deficit that burns fat.
    But the high intensity exercise itself (mostly) doesn't use fat, that's what I got ninerbuff was saying.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well, if someone is already eating at a certain level (which is why I told OP 'if your diet is on point') AND, they don't want to or can't eat less (because they're already eating less) AND, they still want to lose more fat, THEN yes they NEED to do cardio/exercise to burn fat because where else is your deficit going to come from. Niner said you don't need to and he/she was wrong.
    I've just now realized I was refuting your original first response and somehow you're taking it personally.
    Let's look at this objectively: I've been doing this for 30 years and almost 20 years as a professional helping hundreds of people personally to lose/gain/maintain weight and fat. I've worked with obese, overweight, normal, and underweight people. I've studied physiology, kinesology, nutrition and biology along with some other sciences. Now why in the world would I DIRECTLY give someone wrong information? Because I want them to fail?
    As I've mentioned, you can disagree, but doesn't mean your opinion is correct.
    I didn't take it personally, sorry if it came across that way. And I even agree that cardio/exercise is not necessary for fat loss. If a person is obese and is eating 4000 calories, then yes, all they have to do is eat less.

The scenario we had was with someone who'd already cut back severely (1200). And there are also people like me and others who would prefer to eat a reasonable amount of food 1700 (healthy of course) which for me at 125 lbs would be close to maintenance calories. So if I still want to lose weight then cardio/exercise is the only option I have. The only issue I had was the generalized statement that cardio/exercise isn't necessary which coming from a professional like yourself, can be confusing, especially in light of the fact that those of us opting for exercise as our primary focus, we're losing fat just fine without the necessity of severe calorie restriction.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to incorporate cardio just because I like eating large quantities of food.

OP, you said you've been losing for 1.5 months. Your first post said that you have lost 3lbs, is that in the 1.5 period? That's likely a good rate for you. As mentioned, if you are having problems sticking to your calorie deficit, you could add in some longer steady state cardio to increase the amount of calories you can eat back.

As for the abs, it really is about lower body fat. I didn't see if you said how tall you were and your current weight. If you're at a healthy weight, you might want to look into recomposition. You would eat either at a very slight deficit or maintenance and do a progressive lifting program.

You said you did fitness blender, so if you don't belong to a gym, you can look into body weight programs like you are your own gym or convict condition. Or if you want to try lifting weights, I really recommend reading the starting strength book (tons of info on form and the lifts themselves), and there are several good beginning programs such as starting strength (from the previously mentioned book), strong lifts, strong curves, ICF 5x5, etc.

Some good information on recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i do abs workout EVERYDAY : 4 sets of 6 different exercises (crunches,russian twist, mountain climber, bike crunches etc), 20 rep each. But still my abs are flabby as hell. I am not saying they're big, they just not toned enough.

I did lose a little bit of weight (3lbs) and toned up my legs. But my abs are kinda "jiggly". Any recommendation?

Abs are made in the kitchen babe
  • FrejaHetty19
    FrejaHetty19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi @doralim1990
    It sounds like unfortunately we're afflicted with the same thing! Although my abs have definitely gotten better through working them daily, they still aren't where I want them to be.

Have you tried stomach vacuuming? I'm on this as my last resort before I throw in the towel - I came across it online, and so far it's working well! It focuses on strengthening the inner core abs that flatten your stomach rather than the outer ones which give you a six pack. Give it a look online, there are loads of video's which show you how to do it correctly.

Hope this helps, best of luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If i am not losing on 1000cal, how can I increase my calories and still lose fat on my tummy?! Everyone's ranting about "calorie deficit" thingy.

If you're not losing on a 1000 calorie intake, something in your logging is off.

You're 24 and 7lbs from your goal. It sounds like you should be researching what your TDEE is and focusing on a recomp, not such a restrictive intake.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »

Abs are made in the kitchen babe

Try sit ups in the kitchen.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Hi @doralim1990
    It sounds like unfortunately we're afflicted with the same thing! Although my abs have definitely gotten better through working them daily, they still aren't where I want them to be.

Have you tried stomach vacuuming? I'm on this as my last resort before I throw in the towel - I came across it online, and so far it's working well! It focuses on strengthening the inner core abs that flatten your stomach rather than the outer ones which give you a six pack. Give it a look online, there are loads of video's which show you how to do it correctly.

Wat.
  • auddii
    Options
    Hi @doralim1990

Wat.

Is that the only part of the post that confused you? I'm still trying to figure out how a vacuum strengthens anything. And now I'm thinking "Abs in spaaaaaace..."
  • slideaway1
    Options
    To be fair, stomach vacuuming is a legit exercise/technique that some people do for abs. It's not a type of surgery or anything like some people think.
  • auddii
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    To be fair, stomach vacuuming is a legit exercise/technique that some people do for abs. It's not a type of surgery or anything like some people think.

Ah, I googled and now am less confused. I seriously thought she was attempting to vacuum her stomach with a vacuum cleaner...
  • slideaway1
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Ah, I googled and now am less confused. I seriously thought she was attempting to vacuum her stomach with a vacuum cleaner...

That would be cool though. I could hoover up the Dorito's crumbs all over my chest while I was at it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I can be toned in other body parts just not the abs.
    The abs are generally the last place you lose fat. Generally speaking, the first place you gain fat is the last place you lose fat. A missing piece of the puzzle is patience...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Okay so what is the conclusion? Increase calorie intake and increase exercise or to create more calorie deficit? I dunno whether it is the right amount (of 1000 cal) like rice with stir fry veggie is barely 300cal? It is a whole plate of food.
    How long have you been losing weight? Are you willing to post a pic of your abs? Besides abs, what else is your workout consisted of?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Been losing weight for 1,5 month but my weight is stuck now. I am following fitness blender hiit workout (besides cardio the workout also train different target area each time like upper body and cardio, lower body and cardio, abs and cardio) and sometimes i squeeze in 10 mins abs workout after. Also i found that after my last week cheat meal and eliminating nuts in my diet, now my tummy is not as lean as before
    Are you only eating 1000 calories TOTAL in a day?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Yes doing weights will burn fat but there'e no way your going to lose weight and have "abs" just doing weights unless your on some sort of steroids.
    Lol, there are lots of people on here that do weights only and have abs with no PED use. Pretty bold blanket statement and not even close to the truth.
    And niner is saying you burn more fat sleeping than hiking? That is so far from the truth, is isn't even funny. So if I never exercise and just sleep, I'm going to lose more body fat than hiking two hours everyday, 7 days a week? Don't think so bud.
    You burn more FAT sleeping 8 hours a day than doing 2 hours of hiking, yes. Notice I didn't say CALORIES. The ratio of calories from hiking will come from mostly from glycogen and little fat if glycogen is depleted enough. The body's energy source at rest is 100% FAT (unless you have alcohol in your system) which is why rest is so important. You're resting more than you're working out throughout the day so the amount of FAT% burned will be much much higher than if you were working out. You can disagree, but you'd be wrong.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png