Abs abs please i want tight core

Options

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You don't need to do cardio to burn fat. Cardio burns calories and doesn't target fat as it's first source of energy. It's an ongoing myth that's echoed by many fitness/diet people who aren't really that familiar with physiology.

Really? So if my body holds about 1500 cals of glycogen, and I attempt to do an Ironman in 11 hours, I should just keel over and pass out/die at the 90 min mark, unless I eat 7000 calories?

The body absolutely consumes FAT and Glycogen (and muscle) in a ratio depending on the intensity. Fat holds more energy/calories and is a better energy source - BUT it is harder to process so the body won't do it if you're at a high intensity. So racing an all out 5 or 10K would be mostly glycogen and if you tried to go longer you'd bonk. Run at a lower intensity, the percentage of fat being consumed is higher so your glycogen store will last longer. Slow down more, the glycogen tank can last for days. A pound or two of fat (3500 cal each) can get you a long way. You can live for months on fat.

The only myth part is that there is some sort of absolute fat-burning zone - no, it's just a sliding ratio. At really low intensities the percentage of fat being burned might be high but the total actual calories per minute is less. Diminishing returns.

But I would agree with you that all that is REQUIRED for weight loss is less calories than TDEE - if you choose to raise your TDEE for the day and have a more enjoyable food life, that's up to you.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I find the bold part interesting. I considered eating back my exercise calories to be staying within my numbers. I wanted to lose .5 lbs a week so I set my goal to that, lifted primarily, and then ate back my burns.

well, you set a reasonable goal for yourself and made your macros work for you. Wouldn't you say? :)

That allowed me to stay at .5 lb loss per week while still having good workout sessions and getting to eat more; I don't like restricted diets. I too would go for the pizza! :) I do the same now that I'm in maintenance.

If it's OK, I'm gonna send you a friend request - I don't really know anything about where you started or how much you had to lose...but for me, the NIH "suggested weight" for my height is between 170-190 pounds. When I jumped into this pool, I was roughly a large sack of potatoes from 300 pounds (279-280 or so), so I had a lot to lose...as such, I was a LOT more aggressive earlier on. I feel like I've settled into a groove somewhat at this point, and...for sure, I'm not into restricted diets, either. I do try to keep carbs in check, though.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If your diet is on point, then do a bunch of cardio to burn some extra fat. You probably have an awesome core from all the work you've done but you won't see it until you lose the belly fat covering it.
    You don't need to do cardio to burn fat. Cardio burns calories and doesn't target fat as it's first source of energy. It's an ongoing myth that's echoed by many fitness/diet people who aren't really that familiar with physiology.
    Well, I've lost 26 lbs and 6 inches off my waist by getting most of my deficit from cardio. If I didn't do that, I'd have to cut back on food and I refuse to go on some ridiculous 1200 calorie diet. I'm 125 lbs and eat 1700 calories on average and I'm doing just fine. A deficit is a deficit is a deficit. Doesn't matter how you get it. You either starve/eat less or you move more. I choose to move more.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter if cardio doesn't target fat as it's first source. If I do cardio and it depletes immediately available energy from glycogen stores, when I'm getting through the day and sleeping, and my body realizes that it has limited glycogen stores left but still needs energy to keep me going, it's going to tap my fat stores. That's the whole point of creating a deficit so that at the end of the day, you force your body to deplete its fat stores. And cardio contributes to that deficit. So I think you're the one perpetuating the myth and not understanding physiology.
  • Traveler120
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »

So if I interpret your reply at face value, all I have to do to burn fat is eat at a deficit..and just exist?

I apologize if that sounds dickish, but I've never understood the thinly-veiled spite exhibited by some of us here for cardio.
    Yeah, you can burn fat by merely existing while eating at a deficit. In fact, existing burns more calories than what most people are capable of burning through exercise. Some extra is nice but not required.
    so to that end, you're suggesting that the time I've spent walking, biking, going to the gym and hitting the elliptical machine...all the stuff that I've been doing for the last four months - has had little to no impact on the 45 pounds i've lost in that time, just because I've been eating less than 1700 calories a day all that time?
    NO, you've been on the right track, don't let all this gibberish confuse you. Ask yourself, if you didn't use up all that energy from your exercise, and ate the exact same amount of food you've been eating, would you have lost the 45 lbs? NO, you would not. You would have lost less than that. So, all that exercise has had a huge impact on your weight loss and you should keep doing it as much as you can. What's the alternative, eating even less than you are? That's nuts. Keep doing what you're doing if you're getting the desired results and feeling energetic and healthy.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Traveler, Niner wasn't saying that cardio doesn't contribute to fat loss. Just that the OP isn't required to do it for her goals. Someone suggested she is. She can use cardio, diet, lifting or some combination of the three as long as there is a sustained deficit

And nobody said that Hamptontom"s hard work didn't contribute to his loss. It's apparent from his posts that he used it to create a deficit.

• Traveler120
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well, if someone is already eating at a certain level (which is why I told OP 'if your diet is on point') AND, they don't want to or can't eat less (because they're already eating less) AND, they still want to lose more fat, THEN yes they NEED to do cardio/exercise to burn fat because where else is your deficit going to come from. Niner said you don't need to and he/she was wrong.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes, cardio or other exercise. Diet on point could mean many things and not necessarily that the person couldn't eat less.
    I think you have totally misconstrued what niner was saying and frankly all your caps make you seem hostile so I will leave you two to discuss it.

ETA: OP is eating 1000 cals a day. She doesn't need a bigger deficit by any means. Just needs patience.
  • Traveler120
    Options
    My point exactly, how is such a person going to diet when they're barely eating enough. If anything, they need to eat more first and foremost and then exercise if they want to lose. Staying at such low intakes for the sake of weight loss or to just 'be patient', is unhealthy.
  • doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Okay so what is the conclusion? Increase calorie intake and increase exercise or to create more calorie deficit? I dunno whether it is the right amount (of 1000 cal) like rice with stir fry veggie is barely 300cal? It is a whole plate of food.
  • doralim1990
    Options
    If i am not losing on 1000cal, how can I increase my calories and still lose fat on my tummy?! Everyone's ranting about "calorie deficit" thingy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

If someone wants to use cardio to create a larger deficit then it certain will help with fat loss but they could still lose that fat through eating alone. Burning 500 in exercise or eating 500 fewer calories come out the same.

I gotta tell ya...this conversation has been really enlightening - and I say that without the slightest trace of sarcasm. Because before this came up, I don't think I gave a second thought to ANY of the deeper specifics regarding why I've been doing cardio in the first place. I knew that it was good for my heart, good for my endurance, and was improving my general health...and i knew that it was burning calories - but it never occurred to me to consider WHAT it was burning. I never really gave it a second thought, other than the assumption that whatever I was burning off in cardio wasn't gonna go straight to the flesh-colored fanny pack that used to be my gut.

The other thing that's occurring to me is that it's a good thing that there's more than one way to go about this. I've been better than I'd have ever thought I'd be about not eating back exercise calories, and staying within my numbers - but still, I'm one of those people that wouldn't think twice about putting another half-hour in on the elliptical if the guys at the office ordered pizza and I wanted to grab a slice. For other people, though, I can see where it'd be a lot easier to deny themselves the extra calories during the course of a day to avoid having to work it off.

Different strokes and all. :)
    Oh trust I train longer on cardio when it comes to Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's because family parties will be about food consumption. And though I'll never offset the amount I'd like to eat, just doing longer duration and putting in some extra work keeps me from totally going way over in calories those days.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »

Really? So if my body holds about 1500 cals of glycogen, and I attempt to do an Ironman in 11 hours, I should just keel over and pass out/die at the 90 min mark, unless I eat 7000 calories?

The body absolutely consumes FAT and Glycogen (and muscle) in a ratio depending on the intensity. Fat holds more energy/calories and is a better energy source - BUT it is harder to process so the body won't do it if you're at a high intensity. So racing an all out 5 or 10K would be mostly glycogen and if you tried to go longer you'd bonk. Run at a lower intensity, the percentage of fat being consumed is higher so your glycogen store will last longer. Slow down more, the glycogen tank can last for days. A pound or two of fat (3500 cal each) can get you a long way. You can live for months on fat.

The only myth part is that there is some sort of absolute fat-burning zone - no, it's just a sliding ratio. At really low intensities the percentage of fat being burned might be high but the total actual calories per minute is less. Diminishing returns.

But I would agree with you that all that is REQUIRED for weight loss is less calories than TDEE - if you choose to raise your TDEE for the day and have a more enjoyable food life, that's up to you.
    In other words, the closer you are to rest, the more fat is used as an energy source. I've NEVER said that fat doesn't get used. I stated that it's not the FIRST source of energy to be utilized when doing cardio. And if we're being honest here, the "average" person isn't going to deplete their glycogen in 90 minutes of moderate exercise. When people say "do cardio to burn fat" it really is a myth. I'm certain this saying came around when aerobics classes sported many people who didn't look overly muscular, but lean in the 80's. Then of course videos came about spouting it along with the myth that if one targets and area with a particular exercise, fat would magically burn off there. There's lots of them that need to be dispelled because unless it's not, belief in it will continue and people will keep following them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If your diet is on point, then do a bunch of cardio to burn some extra fat. You probably have an awesome core from all the work you've done but you won't see it until you lose the belly fat covering it.
    Well, I've lost 26 lbs and 6 inches off my waist by getting most of my deficit from cardio. If I didn't do that, I'd have to cut back on food and I refuse to go on some ridiculous 1200 calorie diet. I'm 125 lbs and eat 1700 calories on average and I'm doing just fine. A deficit is a deficit is a deficit. Doesn't matter how you get it. You either starve/eat less or you move more. I choose to move more.
    Correct a deficit is a deficit. It DOESN'T matter how you get it. You're not disagreeing, you're just creating your deficit from cardio and eating less than you burn. That doesn't mean that cardio is NEEDED to create a deficit.
    Furthermore, it doesn't matter if cardio doesn't target fat as it's first source. If I do cardio and it depletes immediately available energy from glycogen stores, when I'm getting through the day and sleeping, and my body realizes that it has limited glycogen stores left but still needs energy to keep me going, it's going to tap my fat stores. That's the whole point of creating a deficit so that at the end of the day, you force your body to deplete its fat stores. And cardio contributes to that deficit.
    However you don't NEED cardio to create a deficit. That's the whole point I've made. If that were so, then people who lay sick in beds and lose weight must be doing cardio?
    So I think you're the one perpetuating the myth and not understanding physiology.
    When you eat, you restore glycogen stores. And if you need more glycogen, the body will convert amino acids to glycogen. Fat is much more effectively used at rest and not while exercising. Not my rules, that's what's been put in print from Journals of Medicine like the Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. I'm not perpetuating anything since you're more than welcome to argue with Journals of Medicine on human physiology and how energy is used.
    You don't have to agree, but you'd have to refute what's already written in these Journals to prove what you believe is happening. Don't know why you sound so irritated by this? I'm not making it up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    NO, you've been on the right track, don't let all this gibberish confuse you.
    It's not gibberish. It's the truth. You just choose to believe it's not. There are lots and lots of people who lose weight without any exercise. It's not a prerequisite to lose weight or burn fat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Well, if someone is already eating at a certain level (which is why I told OP 'if your diet is on point') AND, they don't want to or can't eat less (because they're already eating less) AND, they still want to lose more fat, THEN yes they NEED to do cardio/exercise to burn fat because where else is your deficit going to come from. Niner said you don't need to and he/she was wrong.
    I've just now realized I was refuting your original first response and somehow you're taking it personally.
    Let's look at this objectively: I've been doing this for 30 years and almost 20 years as a professional helping hundreds of people personally to lose/gain/maintain weight and fat. I've worked with obese, overweight, normal, and underweight people. I've studied physiology, kinesology, nutrition and biology along with some other sciences. Now why in the world would I DIRECTLY give someone wrong information? Because I want them to fail?
    As I've mentioned, you can disagree, but doesn't mean your opinion is correct.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Okay so what is the conclusion? Increase calorie intake and increase exercise or to create more calorie deficit? I dunno whether it is the right amount (of 1000 cal) like rice with stir fry veggie is barely 300cal? It is a whole plate of food.
    How long have you been losing weight? Are you willing to post a pic of your abs? Besides abs, what else is your workout consisted of?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Back to OPs question. With how very little you are eating, I am wondering if your idea of squishy tummy is an overly critical view. Doralim, how tall are you and what do you weight? Are you comfortable posting a picture of your stomach? You know we have internal organs, they can stick out sometimes, especially if you are eating bulky fibrous foods. I'm wondering if there isn't some body dysmorphic disorder going on here.

My 8 yr old daughter likes to stick out her belly after dinner and claim how fat she is. (In a silly way.) She's the farthest thing from fat, but you can poke her little belly and it squishes.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    i do abs workout EVERYDAY : 4 sets of 6 different exercises (crunches,russian twist, mountain climber, bike crunches etc), 20 rep each. But still my abs are flabby as hell. I am not saying they're big, they just not toned enough.

I did lose a little bit of weight (3lbs) and toned up my legs. But my abs are kinda "jiggly". Any recommendation?

I pretty much eat 80% clean.
    Try Hip Hop abs with Shaun T
    I have been doing it for two weeks and already feel the difference
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Also, if you're not taking in any good fats, you'll burn less fat overall.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • doralim1990
    edited September 2015
    Options
    How long have you been losing weight? Are you willing to post a pic of your abs? Besides abs, what else is your workout consisted of?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Been losing weight for 1,5 month but my weight is stuck now. I am following fitness blender hiit workout (besides cardio the workout also train different target area each time like upper body and cardio, lower body and cardio, abs and cardio) and sometimes i squeeze in 10 mins abs workout after. Also i found that after my last week cheat meal and eliminating nuts in my diet, now my tummy is not as lean as before