Make me like black beans...

Options
Ok I know it's a weird request. I have HATED beans my entire life (other than green beans). A month or two ago at a work function we had a salad that had black beans on it. It was all we had for lunch so I ate it anyway and found out black beans aren't too bad.

So now my question is how do i get into them more? Should I buy them canned or dried? What's the best way to cook them?

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I buy canned. Just rinse them and mix with chopped avocado, corn, chopped tomato and some cilantro (which you can leave out if you're one of those weird cilantro haters). Add lemon juice, salt, pepper. Yum.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I buy canned. Just rinse them and mix with chopped avocado, corn, chopped tomato and some cilantro (which you can leave out if you're one of those weird cilantro haters). Add lemon juice, salt, pepper. Yum.

I'm more of a "the more cilantro the better" kind of guy. That sounds awesome. I will add that to my list to try for next week :)

Thank you!
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love black beans! Here are some ideas for meals:

Beans & Rice
    Black bean burger
    Homemade quesadilla, add beans , cheese, guacamole...or just veggies and beans can be good too
    Black bean brownies! Believe it or not, they taste good!
    Sweet Potato with black beans on top with chopped tomato or salsa! YUM! One of my faves! Filling and delicious (and low cal)

• abetterluke
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »

Black bean burger

Curious about this one -- do you have a good recipe you like?
  • w117seg
    w117seg Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    We have two recipes we use pretty frequently with black beans:
    - "tacos" with canned black beans, cilantro and a little Tabasco. I even buy the seasoned canned black beans which are great! Buy some corn tortillas, put some oil in a skillet, drop in the tortillas filled just a little and folded in half. I put pepperjack cheese in them as well. I usually serve with cilantro-lime rice. It takes some practice to make them crispy, but we love them.
    - a slow cooker taco bowl with ~1.5 lbs of chicken, most of a small bag of frozen corn, a can of black beans, a jar of salsa. With decent salsa you don't need any seasoning- and I use restaurant style just because I like the consistency. cook on low for 6-8 hours then shred the chicken. You can serve it over rice or eat it with tortilla chips. It makes at least two meals for us so I usually do it both ways.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    w117seg wrote: »
    We have two recipes we use pretty frequently with black beans:
    - "tacos" with canned black beans, cilantro and a little Tabasco. I even buy the seasoned canned black beans which are great! Buy some corn tortillas, put some oil in a skillet, drop in the tortillas filled just a little and folded in half. I put pepperjack cheese in them as well. I usually serve with cilantro-lime rice. It takes some practice to make them crispy, but we love them.

I was actually thinking about doing something similar with tacos last week! Not so much with the black beans but with folding it over and then pan frying to make them crispy. Glad to hear someone else has tried that. I'll give it a shot!
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i buy the goya canned ones, empty it into pan undrained and add 4tbsp of fresh mild salsa in it.
    the salsa makes them really good!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Dried black beans. Soak them for a day in a large bowl at room temp. Drain water and rinse the beans.

Meanwhile, in a deep 4-quart pot, saute some fine minced fresh garlic and white onion in a small amount of oil. Add the soaked black beans and enough water to cover. Add a handful of whole, fresh epazote (if you can get it). This is an amazing herb that you'll likely only find in Spanish stores and some farmer markets. It has a character reminiscent of camphor/petrol, which oddly enough works very well with black beans.

Now, here is something neat to flavor the water and turn it into a sort of veg stock without any of the mess... Take a large, whole red bell pepper and chop off the top, discard the seeds and core, and stuff the bell pepper with half of a raw onion, some fresh thyme or epazote, garlic cloves, halves of habanero or jalapeno, bay leaves, large chunks of carrot, etc). Tie the top with twine so that nothing falls out. Float that in the water, bring to a boil, and immediately lower to a gentle simmer. The beans will take about 2-3 hours to fully cook depending on the amount of beans, the age of the beans, the amount of water, the type of stove, etc. -- When done, they should not turn to mush, but you should be able to press them with your tongue and roof of your mouth to the point where they fall apart with pressure.

Just be sure to season heavily the bean water heavily. Beans needs plenty of kosher salt for flavor. You have to constantly check the salt balance, otherwise they will taste vapid.

When done, add a bunch of fresh chopped cilantro. Cilantro is a delicate herb, so if you add it too early during the boil, you cook off all the flavor/aroma. Don't cook the beans with any acid (lime, tomato, vinegar, etc). It will destroy the texture. If adding any acidic ingredients, add them after the beans have already been cooked.

You can make black bean quesadillas or anything you can think of with the finished beans. Good luck!
  • abetterluke
    Options
    @sixxpoint that sounds freakin' amazing.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

This actually sounds yummy except the corn. I am going to try this Thanks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Black beans made hot are delicious. I was introduced with a Presidents Choice hot black bean soup. I don't think you can get it any more. Then I found Campbell's roasted red pepper and black bean soup, about the only creamy soup I tolerate. Then I have a turkey and black bean chili that is very good.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Dried black beans. Soak them for a day in a large bowl at room temp. Drain water and rinse the beans.

Meanwhile, in a deep 4-quart pot, saute some fine minced fresh garlic and white onion in a small amount of oil. Add the soaked black beans and enough water to cover. Add a handful of whole, fresh epazote (if you can get it). This is an amazing herb that you'll likely only find in Spanish stores and some farmer markets. It has a character reminiscent of camphor/petrol, which oddly enough works very well with black beans.

Now, here is something neat to flavor the water and turn it into a sort of veg stock without any of the mess... Take a large, whole red bell pepper and chop off the top, discard the seeds and core, and stuff the bell pepper with half of a raw onion, some fresh thyme or epazote, garlic cloves, halves of habanero or jalapeno, bay leaves, large chunks of carrot, etc). Tie the top with twine so that nothing falls out. Float that in the water, bring to a boil, and immediately lower to a gentle simmer. The beans will take about 2-3 hours to fully cook depending on the amount of beans, the age of the beans, the amount of water, the type of stove, etc. -- When done, they should not turn to mush, but you should be able to press them with your tongue and roof of your mouth to the point where they fall apart with pressure.

Just be sure to season heavily the bean water heavily. Beans needs plenty of kosher salt for flavor. You have to constantly check the salt balance, otherwise they will taste vapid.

When done, add a bunch of fresh chopped cilantro. Cilantro is a delicate herb, so if you add it too early during the boil, you cook off all the flavor/aroma. Don't cook the beans with any acid (lime, tomato, vinegar, etc). It will destroy the texture. If adding any acidic ingredients, add them after the beans have already been cooked.

You can make black bean quesadillas or anything you can think of with the finished beans. Good luck!

epazote I had to google it! That seems odd it would taste like gasoline. How strong is the taste of gasoline? I've eaten Hispanic food for most of my life and have never heard of it. Is there a region it's primarily used in?

• sixxpoint
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

epazote I had to google it! That seems odd it would taste like gasoline. How strong is the taste of gasoline? I've eaten Hispanic food for most of my life and have never heard of it. Is there a region it's primarily used in?

It's Mexican, but it's probably growing in a lot of people's backyards in the US and mistaken as a weed.

The leaves are oval and jagged. It's extremely potent in aroma, but it tastes less potent than it smells. More like earthy, camphor, and lemon. I hate when my Farmer's makret runs out it. Epazote elevates the black beans to a whole other level. Supposedly, it does something for to alleviate gassiness, too.

769.png

http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Epazote_769.php

http://www.specialtyproduce.com <-- this site has a lot of cool produce, and linked recipes for the produce in question.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i buy canned and rinse them.

you can put them in salads, soups, burritos, whatever.... lol
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Black bean burger

@abetterluke - this recipe for black bean burgers is SO GOOD!

Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayo
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I put all kinds of these beans in chili. its great and you really don't taste them.
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    Canned are quicker, but they lack flavor. And there's only so much you can do to jazz them up.

To fix up canned beans:

Drain and saute some fine minced fresh garlic and white onion in a small amount of oil. Add the drained black beans, stir to combine, and season to taste with kosher salt.

You can smash them in the pot to make a bean puree which will be more manageable with a single can, remove from the heat, and toss in the chopped cilantro.
  • abetterluke
    Options

Black bean burger

@abetterluke - this recipe for black bean burgers is SO GOOD!

Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayo

That looks fantastic. Adding that to my menu soon!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I keep some canned black beans around for making black bean brownies or when I want to add them to a quick salad.

Most times I make my own black beans from dried beans. I love making black bean soup with big chunks of diced ham, red peppers, onions, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and lots of cumin to add a nice smoked flavor. Sixxpoint already told you about soaking them so be sure you do that and toss the floaters before draining and rinsing. I serve my black bean soup with a nice heaping scoop of plain greek yogurt and a few jalapeno slices.

I also cook my beans in a crock pot, soak overnight, rinse in the morning then add the water and other ingredients and let it cook.