I HATE salads!!!!!

Like seriously, ew. I have tried countless different recipes, ingredients, methods. Blech. I just can't do it - unless it's covered with something totally bad for me (think cheese or Caesar dressing).
Anyone have any good ideas to help get veggies (especially in a packed lunch) that aren't salads?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Lol. A salad drenched to a full fat dressing is the only way to go if eating salad.

What about cooked veggies? Stir fried? raw veggies with a dip? Spinach and kiwi smoothie?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Asherberry wrote: »
    Like seriously, ew. I have tried countless different recipes, ingredients, methods. Blech. I just can't do it - unless it's covered with something totally bad for me (think cheese or Caesar dressing).
    Anyone have any good ideas to help get veggies (especially in a packed lunch) that aren't salads?

Thanks everyone!

Roasted veggies are good even if they are cold.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    I usually get my veggies in by way of a soup or stew. Or I just eat them by themselves, ie: celery, carrots, and currently cherry tomatoes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I mix laughing cow cheese and chipotle hot sauce with my veggies...makes this creamy cheesy sauce when mixed in hot veggies.
  • I only eat veggies in chicken pot pies and stir fry. I'm a picky eater when it comes to veggies.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Lol. A salad drenched to a full fat dressing is the only way to go if eating salad.
    I disagree, I grew up eating my salads with no dressing at all while the rest of my family drowned their greens in it. It wasn't for health reasons, I just didn't like dressing.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I go through stages like this. So I change it up for a while. Picking vegetables in season and picking something you've never had before will give you variety and new ways of preparing the foods.

A little creamy dressing or a little cheese goes a long way. I couldn't get hubby to eat my salads until I took my fitness instructor's advice and started to add interesting little bits like sunflower seeds. Gotta dress it up with a few calories.
  • Asherberry
    Asherberry Posts: 30 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I mix laughing cow cheese and chipotle hot sauce with my veggies...makes this creamy cheesy sauce when mixed in hot veggies.

I really like that idea! Thanks!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member

I really like that idea! Thanks!

Yeah! I usually do it with ground turkey, zucchini, and squash. But I'm not above throwing a frozen bag of veg in the microwave and putting cheese on it for lunch ha.
  • Asherberry
    nvmomketo wrote: »

What about cooked veggies? Stir fried? raw veggies with a dip? Spinach and kiwi smoothie?

Love the idea of a spinach and kiwi smoothie! That sounds delicious!

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Roasted with olive oil and salt.

Sliced and eaten with hummus.

I've been pickling beets and eating them as a snack lately.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Squash or broccoli on a Foreman Grill.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Sounds tasty..
  • NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    I usually add some sliced peppers and grated carrots to tomato based sauces, which I cook enough to make about 3 or 4 servings. Before work I prepare what I want to eat with the sauce and take to work with me in a little container.
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Look up yummy sauce by chef aj. it is really great and can be used on other things like veggies, potatoes, you name it.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    I can't eat salad with any lettuces. I can only eat it with raw spinach as the base. And Bolthouse Farms makes a great caesar dressing that is yogurt based. You can have 60 grams for 90 calories.
  • Asherberry
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I can't eat salad with any lettuces. I can only eat it with raw spinach as the base. And Bolthouse Farms makes a great caesar dressing that is yogurt based. You can have 60 grams for 90 calories.
    I have to check that dressing out! Sounds amazing!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member

Thanks everyone!

raw vegetables with hummus
    spinach dip with crackers, bread or chips or with raw vegetables
    roasted or grilled vegetables
    stir fry
    vegetables on pizza- spinach, tomato, onion
    vegetables mixed with pasta- broccoli, peas, onion
    wraps with vegetables- carrot, spinach, avocado, etc
    soup/stew/curry with vegetables
    vegetable juice or smoothies with vegetables
    taco salad or burrito bowl
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    ^ raw veggies with hummus and/or tzatziki. Yum.

I never buy this pre-made. Ever. Both are easy to make at home. Hummus I make in large batches - I pressure cook four cups of dried beans - and freeze in smaller packages I can thaw and use up over the course of a week. The combo is a good source of carbs and fibre and tastes good.

Tzatziki made with 2% or 4% Greek yogurt is delicious and even faster to make than hummus. Grate very finely a peeled cucumber; salt it and let the water drain out and/or press water through a sieve; meanwhile crush very finely a clove or two of garlic. Mix everything together in a large container of good yogurt; salt and pepper to taste, I add a bit of cayenne. Good for a week, tastes great on raw veggies, on meats, on Indian food even.

I'll use it as a base for salad dressing, sometimes will add dill to it, sometimes may thin with a bit of buttermilk if we have some and crumble a salmon burger on top. Want ranch, mix in a bit of mayo. Etc.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    do you like veggies in soup? The soups I make/buy are basically hot liquid salads.