Options
124»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Sorry?? Did you grab the wrong quote?

Yeah, sorry, meant this one
    I can't imagine being in a social situation with grown ups who would be that all up in my business. It wouldn't go farther than 'you've lost weight' at that.

and probably this one
    Yeah, I lost weight.

Because you did. Right? That person really doesn't want the nuts and bolts. Why do you think they do?

because we women are NOSY
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    I can't imagine being in a social situation with grown ups who would be that all up in my business. It wouldn't go farther than 'you've lost weight' at that.

It's not like he was asking me how many inches i can handle before i gag, or if i wanted to top or bottom that night. Asking what i did to lose weight is not a personal question.

Nice.

Did i give you the answer you were looking for, yet? o:)

No, you obfuscated efficiently. We're done. You can move along.

Can you get me an Uber home? At least let me believe there will be a next time
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The majority of people absolutely are like that. I think it's part of what keeps many people from actually losing weight. They think they have to abstain from everythig that tastes good, or spend a forrtune on "healthy" food, or restrict their portions to something a child couldn't live off of, and/or spend hours every day in a gym.
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    First, I don't diet, I have a lifestyle change.
    YES, the majority of people think there is a magic pill or something drastic has to go on for weight loss to occur.

I like to diet. Its quick and easy for me. I lose weight faster then i gain. I go off my diet when i feel like being a "foodie" I hate that term "lifestyle" and the people that use the term. No offense.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    When talking to friends my OH has mentioned that I am on a weight loss diet and has said he is eating the same dinners as me. They have then said 'but what are you having for dinner'? and he replied that the meals I cook are very tasty and varied and that he is enjoying "my" diet. He's told them I cook 'real meals' but just adapt them to make them healthier. The friends have reacted with 'how can that be a weight loss diet? They have no inkling of CICO and have not twigged that I obviously eat a much smaller portion of food than he does (he doesn't need to lose weight).

Going by the reactions we have encountered I suspect that loads of people think that to lose weight you have to starve yourself and eat nothing but lettuce and the odd tomato for a treat, or be on a 'fad' diet. Does anybody else think this is the way the majority of people think about dieting?

Actually, I just said something about this to my husband a moment ago.

My coworkers have really begun to notice my weight loss, and immediately they want to know which diet plan I am on.

I tell them that I'm simply eating fewer calories than I'm burning, but that doesn't seem to register.

Some see me eating vegetables ... I must be on a vegetarian diet. Some see me eating chicken ... I must be on a low carb diet. Some see me eating some combination that has them thinking I'm "eating clean". Others figure that I've cut out all sugar from my diet.

And then they tell me about their diets ... and how they aren't seeing much in the way of results.

• Machka9
    Options
    Why do you have to explain anything to anyone? Honestly... I don't understand firstly why you'd even be discussing your "diet" with anyone, but then certainly not justifying it to them afterward?

You don't stand around the kitchen making lunch with half the people in the office? We're all curious about what each other has for lunch.

• Machka9
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    In my RL, ive had colleagues give me a look or make a comment like "oh, you were doing so well! What happened?" when they see me drinking a 24 oz starbucks iced mocha, or if I'm eating chips and/or a burger with fries and/or anything that isn't plain raw vegetables with an un seasoned naked grilled chicken breast.

I have to explain cico to people, which usually gets met with "yeah, i know that, but..." and then the food demonizing begins. There is a lot of conflicting diet and nutritional information that is accepted and summarily rejected by many of the people I've encountered in life

Why do you have to explain anything to anyone? Honestly... I don't understand firstly why you'd even be discussing your "diet" with anyone, but then certainly not justifying it to them afterward?

I genuinely don't mind discussing my diet with others who ask, especially if it's something they can learn from and apply to their own health maintenance.

Are you ever in a social situation with grown ups who ask you what you are eating and why?

Please explain this to me. I can't wrap my head around why this would ever happen unless you opened it up for a conversation.

Really?? It goes like exactly like this
    an old friend [or coworker, or acquaintance] who met me for drinks said "holy *kitten* did you lose like a ton of weight? What are you doing?"

And then you go "blah blah"

And they go "well I've just read blah blah, and blah blah" or "I just signed up for blah blah, and blah blah"

And you go "hey that's great!" or "you should check out blah blah" or "blah blah really worked for me, anyway"

If you're a woman talking to women, it goes on for way longer than that.

Yeah this ... sometimes several times a day.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In my RL, ive had colleagues give me a look or make a comment like "oh, you were doing so well! What happened?" when they see me drinking a 24 oz starbucks iced mocha, or if I'm eating chips and/or a burger with fries and/or anything that isn't plain raw vegetables with an un seasoned naked grilled chicken breast.

I have to explain cico to people, which usually gets met with "yeah, i know that, but..." and then the food demonizing begins. There is a lot of conflicting diet and nutritional information that is accepted and summarily rejected by many of the people I've encountered in life

Because they ask! And they ask and ask and ask some more.

People - women, mostly - LOVE to talk about weight loss. And if you've lost lots of weight, the questions (and comments) never stop. How much have you lost? How much more do you plan to lose? What are you doing? What are you taking? What do you eat? What kind of exercise? Do you go to a gym? Are you eating healthy enough? Why don't you have a donut?

Then you hear what they're doing and how it's going. Sometimes, what they did and how it worked out. Often, you hear why they like being fat and how they'd rather happy than healthy (as if you cannot be both.) This is generally phrased like, "I'd like to be thin/healthy, but I'm not going to give up my potato chips to do it. I LOVE potato chips! I'm not eating rabbit food!"

Finally, you get tips to eat the way they would like you to eat. You should have a donut because "One won't kill you," take Green Tea Extract because "It boosts your metabolism," don't eat at night because "Anything you eat at night turns into fat," exercise before you eat in the morning because "It burns more fat" and be careful not to lose too much because "You're skinny!" even if your BMI is 27.

I like chatting about weight loss and hearing what people have done and are doing, but very often, it's the same conversation.

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yes, many people cannot fathom logging everything one eats. So, they turn to the numerous eating strategies/plans on the market or just plain eat less.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Yes, absolutely. People know I'm a personal trainer and ask me the dumbest questions about what to eat & have the most bizarre ideas about eating and losing weight.

If you are basing it on people asking crazy questions, think about all the people who aren't asking them.

I live in a place with a lot of food woo, but I work in a career of educated people, so I know there is a balance.

(Most common food woos where I live are Weston A Price, Gaps, Gluten Free, and Wheat Belly)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I genuinely don't mind discussing my diet with others who ask, especially if it's something they can learn from and apply to their own health maintenance.

Are you ever in a social situation with grown ups who ask you what you are eating and why?

Please explain this to me. I can't wrap my head around why this would ever happen unless you opened it up for a conversation.

Really?? It goes like exactly like this
    an old friend [or coworker, or acquaintance] who met me for drinks said "holy *kitten* did you lose like a ton of weight? What are you doing?"

And then you go "blah blah"

And they go "well I've just read blah blah, and blah blah" or "I just signed up for blah blah, and blah blah"

And you go "hey that's great!" or "you should check out blah blah" or "blah blah really worked for me, anyway"

If you're a woman talking to women, it goes on for way longer than that.

This, except that it doesn't necessarily go on longer, IME. And people vary a lot in how nosy they are and how much they try to share their own particular stuff. IME, the people who ask more follow ups are either women or men who have lost weight themselves or women (sometimes men, less often) who want to lose but aren't quite ready.

No one pushes me to eat anything (of course, in my social circles people are more likely to have their own special ways of eating).
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    dhimaan wrote: »
    what's wrong with lettuce and tomatoes?

Nothing, as long as it is accompanied by some nice juicy chicken or a steak ;)

Or a burger. That's how I like my tomatoes best.