Alcohol

Options
I know it's been said a million times but..I'm a guy in my 20s and the amount of hell I take from friends when I don't drink with them is rough..so I drink, not often, but a lot..and I also eat when I drink..
Just sharing for those in a similar boat.

Replies

• pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.. I usually drink water In-between drinks and stick to vodka sodas..boring haha
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would think by the late 20s you'd be able to take it/people wouldn't care how much you were drinking. Either build the drinks into your daily intake, augment them with waters inbetween, nurse those drinks, or grow a spine and tell your friends your don't need to drink like you're in college any more to have a good time.

You can be social and not be a glutton all of the time. You can also be that glutton, you just can't do it constantly.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I know it's been said a million times but..I'm a guy in my 20s and the amount of hell I take from friends when I don't drink with them is rough..so I drink, not often, but a lot..and I also eat when I drink..
    Just sharing for those in a similar boat.

cheers!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    So... how rough is it? The hell they give you, do they string you up by your underwear to a flagpole and leave you there for a good Samaritan to discover? :o Or what?

Don't see why you couldn't have wine or some good beer in moderation with your friends without getting grief for refraining from drinking everyone under the table.

Or why if your friends did give you grief for not wanting to get sloshed that you couldn't assert yourself and do what you intended to do to keep to your goals despite what your friends want or say about it.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    So... how rough is it? The hell they give you, do they string you up by your underwear to a flagpole and leave you there for a good Samaritan to discover? :o Or what?

Don't see why you couldn't have wine or some good beer in moderation with your friends without getting grief for refraining from drinking everyone under the table.

Or why if your friends did give you grief for not wanting to get sloshed that you couldn't assert yourself and do what you intended to do to keep to your goals despite what your friends want or say about it.

Peer pressure. It's a hellva drug.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    When in that kind of crowd, I used to start with a gin & soda with lime, and later quietly switch to soda & lime. Yeah, deceptive, but it takes some of the nonsense out of the night. Hard to do at a beer/wine event, though. Helps to go through lots of glasses of water on the side, too.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    You should get better friends.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My friends are always overjoyed to have a DD.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You need to think about yoru priorities in life. What's important, your drinking friends or your health. You can have both but if i were you, i'd prioritise my health.
  • Bolibadale
    Bolibadale Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You are in charge it is your life and if you want to live it fat and miserable then drink-up with your friends and dont complain. If you like being healthier then be strong and explain to your friends how important it is to you to be healthy. If they can not help you then are always going to give you a rough time about it then I agree you need to get new friends. Try just drinking one night a week as a compromise.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Too funny.... I'm 54 and a girly girl female and have to say there is nothing better in life than a straight shot of expensive top shelf whiskey, over a single ice cube, splash of water and a lemon.... Ahhhh.... Yes, I have a place in my diary called alcohol/treats :) If it is something you enjoy, work it in. 1.5 oz is less than 100 very yummy calories. Can't tell you how many times one of my very manly friends orders a sweet drink when I order a lovely straight shot and the waiter always wants to give my drink to the fella LOL
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    What in the heck
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,526 Member
    Options
    I've had to switch from drinking beer when we go out to diet soda and whiskey. Overall much more effective for the caloric price tag
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Let's see...

So far OP goes out with friends and feels pressure to drink and eat too much.

One poster translated that to mean...Only drink straight whiskey, bourbon, or scotch so that no one thinks you are gay.

Another poster has "manly" friends that drinks sweet drinks. I can't help but wonder what her "unmanly" friends drink.

I had no idea that people judged others based on what alcohol they drank.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to drink, stand your ground. It's their problem.

And get better friends like @tincanonastring said.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Don't get new friends, just stand up to them! I'll bet they come around when they start seeing you in control. Dudes respect that.

And also, drink what you want while within your calorie goal. You can easily make room for a night out by being super diligent about what you eat during the day.

Also, if I have a glass of water beside every drink, I drink half the booze. Nobody notices.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    Don't get new friends, just stand up to them! I'll bet they come around when they start seeing you in control. Dudes respect that.

Unless they're immature a-holes.

And guys pushing 30 who give a friend a hard time because he's not drinking would likely fall into that category.

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The way he put it was ridiculous, but if you still want to drink, then yes, straight liquor is the way to go. Just have a couple ounces, and sip on it for a while. I suggest whiskey. Tastes amazing, and it's not too high in calories.

Or anything with club soda. I only take gin that way, because I hate watery whiskey, but club soda is zero calories.

Honestly though, I wouldn't hang with people whose friendship depended on how much I drank. I've also never been one to cave to peer pressure though, so I can't really offer effective tips there. When people try to pressure me, I just become more resistive, and eventually get pissed off. ;) I've been known to kick people out of my house for being jerks, even family members.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    We also don't know what "the amount of hell I take" really means. It's not always easy to just get new friends. Remember what happened to Elaine when she met a new Jerry, George and Kramer?