Gluten-Free!?!? Yay or Nay?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

Just saw a post on someone wanting to lose weight being gluten-free and my friend sent me this YouTube link.... just wanted to share, it is hilarious!

I am not at all gluten intolerant but I've been advised by my previous nutritionist not to eat gluten "to be more healthy" - she said it was the cause of my headaches and migraines. but it just made me miserable so I stopped. now I work out more often and they are mostly gone!

Recently I started baking lots of protein muffins and brownies so I started using non-gluten flours again, I substitute around half of the total flour with almond flour. for brownies, oat meal flour (self-ground) is also great.

Right now I just stopped eating bread and pasta all together so I am more or less a gluten-free person without the misery of eating it..... :D

if you had a significant change in your health by going gluten-free, let me know! I am still very curious about this! thank you!

Replies

• ahkennett
    ahkennett Posts: 15 Member
    I am not at all gluten intolerant but I've been advised by my previous nutritionist not to eat gluten "to be more healthy"

That's why you shouldn't take advice from anyone calling themself a "nutritionist." They're just as likely to be as full of crap as any random jerk you pull off the street. If you need nutrition advice, find a registered dietician -- at least they have some standards they have to be held to.

• christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    I'm gluten free because I was constantly suffering from headaches and what seemed like sinus infections. After investigations by ENT and Neurologist I went on an elimination diet and found wheat products seemed to increase headaches. I've now been GF for 4 years and feel better for it. If I have gluten or wheat now I come up with a rash like hives and have a blinding headache. It does make life a bit restricted but I don't miss it.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm GF due to celiac disease. Going GF won't help with weight loss, especially if you substitute in GF foods like GF bread or cookies. They tend to have less fibre and more calories from added fats and sugars.. Don't use it for weight loss.

That being said, eating GF can improve some people's health. Many with autoimmune issues do better GF, and some have a non-celiac gluten senstivity (NCGS) that produces symptoms very similar to celiac disease (like stomach pain, fatigue, migraines, bathroom issues, anemia, nutrient deficiencies, ataxia, neuropathies, joint pain).

If someone does suspect gluten is an issue, they should get tested for celiac diease because going GF will affect the tests. If the tests are negative, they can give the GF diet a try, but they should give it at least 3 months because many symptoms can take a long while to improve - ataxia, joint pain, neuropathies are very slow to improve.

After going GF I had many improvements: stomach pain, constipation, migraines, joint pains, arthritis, hair loss, fatigue, nutrient levels, bloating, thyroid function, cholesterol came up (was too low), and I did lose weight but that was probably just a side effect of getting healthier.

My children tested negative but they had some symptoms that greatly improved with going GF.

Gluten isn't needed for good health for in that sense, going GF is a non-issue. It's just really inconvenient to eat this way.

If someone does go GF, please, PLEASE do not declare that you are GF when eating out but still eat the bread or not worry about the fact that your fries were cross contaminated because the oil was used for chicken nuggets too, or that the croutons were picked out of a salad. If you get trace amounts of gluten (crumbs) that is NOT GF, that is gluten-light. That sort of behaviour makes it much harder for celiacs to eat out safely because people (servers) don't take our need for a GF diet as seriously.... Huge pet peeve of mine.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Gluten intolerance isn't a real thing. Celiac's disease is, and is quite serious.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    ahkennett wrote: »
    I am not at all gluten intolerant but I've been advised by my previous nutritionist not to eat gluten "to be more healthy"

That's why you shouldn't take advice from anyone calling themself a "nutritionist." They're just as likely to be as full of crap as any random jerk you pull off the street. If you need nutrition advice, find a registered dietician -- at least they have some standards they have to be held to.

This.
    Gluten intolerance isn't a real thing. Celiac's disease is, and is quite serious.

And ^^that.

OP, you watched that video and you STILL want to go gluten-free? Despite not being celiac?

Why would you want to needlessly restrict yourself?

• eba2003
    eba2003 Posts: 43 Member
    It depends if you are tolerant or not. It's a peprsonal thing.
  • chinsinsi
    chinsinsi Posts: 22 Member
    My daughter went GF and recommended me to try it. So I gave it a go for a month. A consequence was suddenly eating low carb (not ultra low) so I upped my fats. After that 30 day experiment I just stayed with GF, LCHF, not just because I feel more energetic, sleep better and am never bloated but because my (post 5 babies around 25 years ago) stress incontinence has completely COMPLETELY gone. This happened a week into my 'experiment'. I am not a nutrition scientist, I don't know what has happened and I don't care if people disparage the way I eat....because I have dry knickers.
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member

totally agree! I guess it is easier for them to say "don't eat all these evil things" but come on, you need to enjoy life, too! like I said, she just passed electricity through my body and checked how I 'reacted' with those foods. I was like.... INTERESTING!!!
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    christch wrote: »
    I'm gluten free because I was constantly suffering from headaches and what seemed like sinus infections. After investigations by ENT and Neurologist I went on an elimination diet and found wheat products seemed to increase headaches. I've now been GF for 4 years and feel better for it. If I have gluten or wheat now I come up with a rash like hives and have a blinding headache. It does make life a bit restricted but I don't miss it.

oh my, thank you for sharing. that is great for you! I've been suffering from migraine since I was 10, but now I work out a lot more than before, it's more or less gone, just like that. right now I just keep my carb intake as low as possible so I hardly eat gluten anyways :smile: I am very happy that you found your solution!
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm GF due to celiac disease. Going GF won't help with weight loss, especially if you substitute in GF foods like GF bread or cookies. They tend to have less fibre and more calories from added fats and sugars.. Don't use it for weight loss.

That being said, eating GF can improve some people's health. Many with autoimmune issues do better GF, and some have a non-celiac gluten senstivity (NCGS) that produces symptoms very similar to celiac disease (like stomach pain, fatigue, migraines, bathroom issues, anemia, nutrient deficiencies, ataxia, neuropathies, joint pain).

If someone does suspect gluten is an issue, they should get tested for celiac diease because going GF will affect the tests. If the tests are negative, they can give the GF diet a try, but they should give it at least 3 months because many symptoms can take a long while to improve - ataxia, joint pain, neuropathies are very slow to improve.

After going GF I had many improvements: stomach pain, constipation, migraines, joint pains, arthritis, hair loss, fatigue, nutrient levels, bloating, thyroid function, cholesterol came up (was too low), and I did lose weight but that was probably just a side effect of getting healthier.

My children tested negative but they had some symptoms that greatly improved with going GF.

Gluten isn't needed for good health for in that sense, going GF is a non-issue. It's just really inconvenient to eat this way.

If someone does go GF, please, PLEASE do not declare that you are GF when eating out but still eat the bread or not worry about the fact that your fries were cross contaminated because the oil was used for chicken nuggets too, or that the croutons were picked out of a salad. If you get trace amounts of gluten (crumbs) that is NOT GF, that is gluten-light. That sort of behaviour makes it much harder for celiacs to eat out safely because people (servers) don't take our need for a GF diet as seriously.... Huge pet peeve of mine.

Thank you for sharing!!! yes I agree, many people seem to think that GF is the key to losing weight... I just eat less wheat products these days and I feel better, but in general, my lifestyle has improved a lot due to better nutritions and fitness routines!

intersting you mention auto immune diseases - coz I have a very mild case of psoriasis, my scalp use to itch a lot more, but now that I think of it, it is totally gone. I occasionally get dry patches on my elbows but that's about it. don't know if it is to do with the reduced gluten intake or not.... there are too many factors which could affect this....

but anyways, IF this could be the cause of these things, then it is not bad to opt for other alternatives, right? the only wheat I eat is in my brownies, but I have no problem substituting that with my almond flours. then I am more or less GF!

but wow, it must be so difficult for you to go out and make sure it is GF right?? I have the same issue here in Thailand, well, I don't really like pork, but many food contains pork and they don't really bother saying it. e.g. shrimp cakes - 95% of the time it contains minced pork. or some 'vegetable soup' - always has some pork bits!!! makes me paranoid, so these days, I feel much better cooking my own food! hahaha

have a lovely day! again, thank you for your lovely comment!
  • Yoyo_Fitness

I just know one person who says he is gluten intolerant but I swear he used to eat pizza all the time!
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Orphia wrote: »

This.

And ^^that.

OP, you watched that video and you STILL want to go gluten-free? Despite not being celiac?

Why would you want to needlessly restrict yourself?

oh god no, I still like eating a few pieces of pizza from time to time, I am not that fussy! I never said anything about going GF, all I am saying is that if there are real health benefits from consuming less gluten, then I would, that is all. I don't mind only using almond flour for my protein brownies I eat religiously, coz I get so much of it from making almond milk and I don't know what to do with it! so once I run out of my whole meal flour, I will probably never buy it again. I hardly eat pasta nor bread these days, so.... basically, my diet is almost gluten free and there is no harm in that!
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    eba2003 wrote: »
    It depends if you are tolerant or not. It's a peprsonal thing.

I think GF products became niche, that's all.... just makes me giggle when people eat GF cakes thinking that that doesn't add extra inch on your waist.... haha
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    chinsinsi wrote: »
    My daughter went GF and recommended me to try it. So I gave it a go for a month. A consequence was suddenly eating low carb (not ultra low) so I upped my fats. After that 30 day experiment I just stayed with GF, LCHF, not just because I feel more energetic, sleep better and am never bloated but because my (post 5 babies around 25 years ago) stress incontinence has completely COMPLETELY gone. This happened a week into my 'experiment'. I am not a nutrition scientist, I don't know what has happened and I don't care if people disparage the way I eat....because I have dry knickers.

oh good for you!!! so you are NOT substituting wheat products with those GF products? you are just cutting down your carbs right? I've been doing the same, I hardly eat bread nor pasta, not even rice. but I take enough carbs from fresh vegetables and fruits. I also feel great!!! I guess everyone is different, we should all try out different things and if you feel better, you should stick with it right??? take care! thank you for sharing!

• https://youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

I am not at all gluten intolerant but I've been advised by my previous nutritionist not to eat gluten "to be more healthy" - she said it was the cause of my headaches and migraines. but it just made me miserable so I stopped. now I work out more often and they are mostly gone!

How can you be so sure that it wasn't the working out more that stopped the headaches?

As a chef, I will agree that gluten is not great for you. However, it's so damn delicious! I'd try making recipes with non bleached whole grain flour because maybe it's the bleach that's giving you headaches. I try to avoid anything bleached like the plague.

Be honest with yourself, gluten alternatives suck. If you have to tell yourself "it's great for a gluten free cupcake" then it sucks. Quit lying to yourself and following all of these trends that quite frankly me and the industry laugh and capitalize off of. But hey if you want to be trendy, be my guest, because it allows us chefs to charge an extra 30-40% more off of your idiocy.

The bottom line is portions and moderation. It's ok to have a couple slices of pizza, pancakes or a muffin once or twice a week, but don't be a fool and eat it every meal.
  • nvmomketo

NCGS is a real thing. The difficulty is that NCGS is not diagnosable with blood tests; only a positive response to the GF diet is diagnostic.

NCGS is real, but it is a different type of immune response than that of celiac or a wheat allergy.

I have met and talked with some people with NCGS and their symptoms were every bit as real, and often as severe, as what I experienced as a celiac. Those with NCGS usually need to be as strictly GF as someone with celiac.

Really, the only good thing about gluten is what it does for light, fluffy baking. It is a convenience food, basically. IMO. Many are better off without it.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member

NCGS is a real thing. The difficulty is that NCGS is not diagnosable with blood tests; only a positive response to the GF diet is diagnostic.

NCGS is real, but it is a different type of immune response than that of celiac or a wheat allergy.

I have met and talked with some people with NCGS and their symptoms were every bit as real, and often as severe, as what I experienced as a celiac. Those with NCGS usually need to be as strictly GF as someone with celiac.

Really, the only good thing about gluten is what it does for light, fluffy baking. It is a convenience food, basically. IMO. Many are better off without it.

The scientist who thought that gluten intolerance was a thing has repeatedly tried to replicate his results and found that he can't. He has found that people on a blind diet can not tell when they are getting gluten and not getting gluten.

The exception to this is celiac disease, and people can be allergic to specific gluten containing grains, but that's not the same thing.
  • nvmomketo
    cmtigger wrote: »

The scientist who thought that gluten intolerance was a thing has repeatedly tried to replicate his results and found that he can't. He has found that people on a blind diet can not tell when they are getting gluten and not getting gluten.

The exception to this is celiac disease, and people can be allergic to specific gluten containing grains, but that's not the same thing.

Yes. This doesn't change the fact that doctors are still diagnosing NCGS, and people are feeling better GF. Fasano (leading celiac researcher) also believes NCGS exists.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »

Yes. This doesn't change the fact that doctors are still diagnosing NCGS, and people are feeling better GF. Fasano (leading celiac researcher) also believes NCGS exists.

The placebo effect is a very strong thing too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Yay for me. I don't have issues with gluten and enjoy my bread. :)

If you want to skip it, though, go for it. I'm not trying to convert anyone.