2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Gluten intolerance isn't a real thing. Celiac's disease is, and is quite serious.

NCGS is a real thing. The difficulty is that NCGS is not diagnosable with blood tests; only a positive response to the GF diet is diagnostic.

NCGS is real, but it is a different type of immune response than that of celiac or a wheat allergy.

I have met and talked with some people with NCGS and their symptoms were every bit as real, and often as severe, as what I experienced as a celiac. Those with NCGS usually need to be as strictly GF as someone with celiac.

Really, the only good thing about gluten is what it does for light, fluffy baking. It is a convenience food, basically. IMO. Many are better off without it.

The scientist who thought that gluten intolerance was a thing has repeatedly tried to replicate his results and found that he can't. He has found that people on a blind diet can not tell when they are getting gluten and not getting gluten.

The exception to this is celiac disease, and people can be allergic to specific gluten containing grains, but that's not the same thing.

Yes. This doesn't change the fact that doctors are still diagnosing NCGS, and people are feeling better GF. Fasano (leading celiac researcher) also believes NCGS exists.

The placebo effect is a very strong thing too.

It can be. That doesn't mean it is true in all cases (or even most) of NCGS. It could very well be for some.... that wouldn't hurt anybody either. LOL
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Mmmmmmmmm.....gluten.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    My doctor thinks I have celiac disease but I can't afford the test as it is not covered by provincial health insurance. What I know is that for the first time in 45 years where I go is not determined by the availability of bathrooms. I can actually go to a movie without missing most of it, I can (if careful) eat out without feeling ill for days. My constant stomach pains, tiredness, joint aches are hugely improved and I feel like I have my life back. Downside is weight gain from eating packaged g.f. foods so I make my own bread, cookies, etc, if I really want them. Eating g.f. should not be a fad diet, speak to your doctor before cutting gluten out of your diet, after all it may be something else related that you are eating. Keeping notes along with your food diary can help pin things down.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    eba2003 wrote: »
    It depends if you are tolerant or not. It's a peprsonal thing.

I have coeliacs, unless your coeliac, or another medical problem I wouldn't go GF.

My friend is intolerant to gluten. Anytime she eats anything with gluten, she has horrible diarrhea, hives, horrible gas and stomach pains. It messes with her periods and fertility. She gets headaches from it too. So yes it does exist.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Jelaan wrote: »
    My doctor thinks I have celiac disease but I can't afford the test as it is not covered by provincial health insurance. What I know is that for the first time in 45 years where I go is not determined by the availability of bathrooms. I can actually go to a movie without missing most of it, I can (if careful) eat out without feeling ill for days. My constant stomach pains, tiredness, joint aches are hugely improved and I feel like I have my life back. Downside is weight gain from eating packaged g.f. foods so I make my own bread, cookies, etc, if I really want them. Eating g.f. should not be a fad diet, speak to your doctor before cutting gluten out of your diet, after all it may be something else related that you are eating. Keeping notes along with your food diary can help pin things down.

That's wonderful you're feeling better!

And a good example of when someone does not need an official medical diagnosis to make a change.