Low calories does not equal healthy

Options
just wanted to put a general note out there because I see it all the time.... I know most of us here are trying to lose weight but please refrain from telling people that something is "good" or "healthy" for you because it is low in calories. Thank you!

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Right you are. This is a pet peeve of mine as well.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't see many people saying that low-cal = healthy. Even people who are all about calories with no regard to nutritional value don't say that, generally. It's generally said from a weight loss standpoint and not a nutritional/health one.

Some people combine their weight loss with trying to be healthier, so they try to eat healthy. Many people, though, just want to lose weight. That's okay. Different people have different goals! Plus, if someone is obese and wants to lose weight, that's good for them, in and of itself.
  • EatwellLivehappy
    EatwellLivehappy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Kalikel,

I appreciate your insight but I'm not talking about people who just want to lose weight. I'm talking about people who are misusing the word. Low calorie is not interchangeable with healthy. That is the topic.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Why isn't low calorie healthy or good?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Better yet ... why is low calorie necessarily healthy and/or good?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

and boom there goes the dynamite

why is any food healthy and good does that mean there is a food out there that is sickly and bad?

If the food is bad and sick is it a minor thing like food was just a little naughty, or is food outright bad and has robbed a bank or something?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

why is any food healthy and good does that mean there is a food out there that is sickly and bad?

If the food is bad and sick is it a minor thing like food was just a little naughty, or is food outright bad and has robbed a bank or something?

Srsly?
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    just wanted to put a general note out there because I see it all the time.... I know most of us here are trying to lose weight but please refrain from telling people that something is "good" or "healthy" for you because it is low in calories. Thank you!

I believe snacks with low calorie is better for me because I need my food to stretch on what I'm trying to accomplish calorie wise. Not saying healthy or good or bad because food is full of grey areas. Once I'm building muscle I'll be consuming high calorie foods within a macro guideline. In the end, it's all about what you're trying to accomplish
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

If one is on a calorie restricted diet, the very fact that it is low calorie could be good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

If the food is sick because it was naughty?? WTH do you eat?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Kalikel,

I appreciate your insight but I'm not talking about people who just want to lose weight. I'm talking about people who are misusing the word. Low calorie is not interchangeable with healthy. That is the topic.

I agree. Some newcomers have said " well I'm eating healthy , I have 100calorie packs of cookies instead of a big portion " where they could've said , I'm eating less calories now so don't eat big portion of cookies" I think it gets confused sometimes but typically by people who are just starting so I ignore it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

If one is on a calorie restricted diet, the very fact that it is low calorie could be good.

"could be" does not equal necessarily is.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

If the food is sick because it was naughty?? WTH do you eat?

I only eat naughty food I like it dirty and unclean. Kind of a hedonist in that way.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

"could be" does not equal necessarily is.

True, but is there anyone really saying "all low calorie food is healthy"? Or is it a series of individual remarks?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

What if one is NOT on a calorie restricted diet. Or better yet, what if one is intentionally TRYING to gain weight?

*mind blown*
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

What if one is NOT on a calorie restricted diet. Or better yet, what if one is intentionally TRYING to gain weight?

*mind blown*

Right. We need more specifics than just a wide sweeping edict of "don't say this".
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

What you're saying isn't wrong, but... the purpose behind it is sort of confusing. It just seems like to a reply to a specific person in a super vague, almost passive-aggressive way. Or is it supposed to be a general statement more to the MFP forum population?

If so, I'm not sure where you've been seeing people making this suggestion. Now, there are a lot of people (myself included) that believe if you have a handful of calories left in your deficit, have eaten a certain amount of all of your essential macro and micro nutrients, and would like to have a snack of your choosing that fits your calorie goal, then you should feel alright doing so. No one has ever stated that it's "healthy" to eat a doughnut, however, just because it has been stated that eating a doughnut is "okay if you're within your goal and you've eaten well otherwise."

ETA: "provided you don't have a medical condition that necessitates a low carb diet..." etc. (typical disclaimers for people with exceptional circumstances)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

*mind blown*

Right. We need more specifics than just a wide sweeping edict of "don't say this".

I think I agree...though in this case I'd say that not equating low cal with healthy is appropriate, since 'healthy':

1) Should really be applied to one's overall diet, not just individual food items, and
    2) Is completely dependent upon the individual and his/her goals.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm pretty nit-picky about specifics, but the OP was pretty clear to me. We see examples of things like this all the time:

- "How do I make pizza healthy?"
    - "I only eat healthy stuff like egg whites"
    - How about the post we just discussed yesterday where making rice less nutritious was called making it "healthier?"

Individual foods (with a few exceptions) aren't healthy or unhealthy; diets are.