ONE tip from those who have been successful

Options

Replies

• LaurelSTX
    LaurelSTX Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For my family, what has worked best is the old saying "“Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper." So we eat the bulk of our healthy calories in the morning, and decrease as the day goes on. We end with an early, very light supper of lean meat and low-carb veggies, and nothing after supper. It makes sense to eat your calories when you're most likely to burn them, during the day, instead of during the evening, when you might be less active.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Consistently challenging exercise.
  • Olivia77777
    Olivia77777 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was told to focus more on the small victories (1, 2, 3 lbs losses) versus the total amount, and to enjoy the journey,
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Know yourself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    LaurelinAZ wrote: »
    For my family, what has worked best is the old saying "“Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper." So we eat the bulk of our healthy calories in the morning, and decrease as the day goes on. We end with an early, very light supper of lean meat and low-carb veggies, and nothing after supper. It makes sense to eat your calories when you're most likely to burn them, during the day, instead of during the evening, when you might be less active.

Actually, that doesn't make sense at all. The body burns calories 24/7. Having a hearty meal in the evening, when your family is toghether, is good for mental health, and normal families do that all over the world.

If you are going low carb, you should be careful not to cut fat as well.

I think constantly eating and eating on the run is detrimental for good health.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Be honest. In weighing (get a digital food scale), logging, eating. If you eat something and don't log it, the only person you are lying to is yourself and that's not a good habit..
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Remember why you are doing this. This for you only.
    Also: no is an acceptable answer when people offer you food.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Stay at, or slightly under your daily calorie amount, and log EVERYTHING you eat and drink. Do this, and success will be yours.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    hiphop10 wrote: »
    vegan.
    Did this really help you? I'm trying to be vegan and it's so hard do you mind adding me as a friend?

• kommodevaran
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    vegan.
    Did this really help you? I'm trying to be vegan and it's so hard

This makes no sense to me. If you want to be vegan, you'll be motivated by your commitment and to your ethical view. To lose weight, or to be healthy, there is no need to cut out meat or animal food sources.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    vegan.
    Did this really help you? I'm trying to be vegan and it's so hard

This makes no sense to me. If you want to be vegan, you'll be motivated by your commitment and to your ethical view. To lose weight, or to be healthy, there is no need to cut out meat or animal food sources.

We have a vegan at work who started it for weight loss reasons. He's really wavering.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    First tip from me:

Its hard to give only one tip but if i had to pick one, this is probably the best one I can come up with for the general dieter who doesn't have binging problems, diabetes or emotional problems.

Work out a way of eating that you will be able to sustain for the rest of your life. This means that what you will eat at the end of your diet is what you will eat for the rest of your life more or less and what you should be working towards now.

This involves food that is nutritious and sustaining. You want to avoid hunger. Junk food does is neither sustaining nor nutritious usually so you minimise it.
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do movement that you love to do...Most of the time, so you will actually do it and later add some weights/cardio that is more challenging and wouldn't normally do to the fun stuff.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    To be successful in the long term, have reasonable balance in your diet. I have no NO foods, just occasional foods.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything and don't deprive yourself.
  • Fishdoodle
    Fishdoodle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Make healthy eating the easiest thing you do in your day and eating junk the hardest: Prepare food during your high motivation times so when your motivation is low, the choice to eat well can't be easier. Oh, look, that delicious butternut squash soup in the fridge just needs to be zapped and topped with a dollop of light sour cream and a sprinkle of toasted hazelnuts (which are also in the fridge). That's way easier than going down the hall or driving in the car for the junk or the fast food, etc. My very first post on MFP. Yay! Thanks for the opportunity to share.
  • jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,173 Member
    Options
    Track everything. Only thing that works.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Fishdoodle wrote: »
    Make healthy eating the easiest thing you do in your day and eating junk the hardest: Prepare food during your high motivation times so when your motivation is low, the choice to eat well can't be easier. Oh, look, that delicious butternut squash soup in the fridge just needs to be zapped and topped with a dollop of light sour cream and a sprinkle of toasted hazelnuts (which are also in the fridge). That's way easier than going down the hall or driving in the car for the junk or the fast food, etc. My very first post on MFP. Yay! Thanks for the opportunity to share.

And what a post! This is just what I do and think. I'm even going to make butternut squash soup on Monday :o
    Welcome to MFP!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Don't lose for another person's sake because it can really make you second guess yourself.
  • Stickthejugon80
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    beth0277 wrote: »
    I've been a little discouraged at my slow weight loss and need some motivation from those of you who have been successful. So, if you could only give ONE tip that helped you the most during your weight loss, what would it be? It can be anything!

understand that it's a process...a slow one...have patience and be consistent. you don't need motivation, you need discipline...discipline leads to consistency and consistency is what is necessary to achieve your goals. motivation is an overrated and fleeting emotion.

I like to use the school analogy when discussing the process. when you decide to go to school, it can be overwhelming...all of these classes to take...tests and studying and years of work ahead...when you look at it as this big thing, it is daunting to say the least...but when you break it down into process...not so much. it's one class at a time...one semester at a time...you would likely have classes you struggle with and classes you do better in...you don't have to ace everything...you can get Bs and Cs and still graduate. you're not going to ace every test and it's likely you may even fail a test here and there...but if you are disciplined and consistent in what you're doing, eventually you pass classes...semester after semester goes by, as do the years...and finally discipline and consistency will win the day and you will graduate.

weight loss and weight management in general is a similar process.

Awesome, thank you for this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!