Sober September

Options

Replies

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Made it through the weekend with no drinking. Not sure I am ready for any social situations yet so hid myself away a bit on Sunday as I was feeling really grouchy and rebellious. I figured I would cave for sure if the situation presented itself. Whatever it takes, I guess.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    @janenightingale. I also started watching this group from moderation land. For people who like to drink, versus those folks who just sip it to be social like my husband, we usually overdo it at some point, like Whole30 told about. If I could take back about 30 nights a year, I'd keep drinking. But they keep happening. So, good for you for not giving up and for coming back to try again. I also got furious when my husband would suggest it was time to stop drinking for the night.

@shrcpr. Nice job and WTG!!! I know it's hard at social events. I'd go to a dinner party as many people choose not to drink but I'd avoid a drinking party for now. I know the last time I did this it got really easy after a few months and I was finally able to be around a group of heavy drinkers and not get tempted.

Finally, for motivation check out the "No drinking on weekdays" thread as most of them are in the same battle as we are but think that moderation can be achieved. It can be, but is almost harder than not drinking and I got really tired of counting my weekly or monthly drinks.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ^ yes way less stress. :tired_face:
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Options
    Ready to roll into another AF week! I find that I am way more with it at work nowadays...no hazy, "almost hung-over" feeling that I so often felt after drinking wine in the evening...usually only 2-3 glasses but I would still wake with a slight headache and general haziness. I can honestly say that I am more productive now than I have been in a while!
  • Louz163
    Louz163 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    96beqlxnlma6.jpg
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm doing way better than I thought I could. In 15 days I've had one night where I caved and had two vodka, cran and sodas. Other than that, sober as can be! Not even missing it. We had company on Sunday and it was BYOB and I never even thought "man I feel cheated". I can do this!

Kudos to all the others who are trying hard!!
  • MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Still here and feeling more in control every day. Day #46 AFfor me :)
  • shrcpr
    Options
    Checking in at Day 19. I'm finding it's way easier sticking to my eating plan when I'm not drinking. Feeling good so far.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    great job everyone! going to a comedy show tonight. already offered to be the drive :lol:
  • jesha00
    jesha00 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Way to go everyone :) I'm on day 3 AGAIN!! I've been doing this for a few weeks now and it's getting easier to go three days. I'm still struggling with going longer. So far I've not had anything to drink 50% of the month so far. Not 100% but 50% is better than what I was doing.

What is this Whole30 that everyone is talking about?
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    jesha00 wrote: »
    Way to go everyone :) I'm on day 3 AGAIN!! I've been doing this for a few weeks now and it's getting easier to go three days. I'm still struggling with going longer. So far I've not had anything to drink 50% of the month so far. Not 100% but 50% is better than what I was doing.

What is this Whole30 that everyone is talking about?

You're so right! Fifty percent is better than what you were doing!
    As for the Whole30? It's an eating program, an elimination diet that helps to determine what foods your body has a hard time processing. In addition it's said to help restart you metabolism (you know, give it a kick start). I for one have dealt with IBS for 33 years and have tried everything. Always felt that certain foods bothered me more than others but couldn't pin point which ones. This eating program has helped me out greatly. Instead of pain and suffering 20 days a month, I've only had 2 and I think I can attribute that to nuts.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. A friend referred me here. I have actually struggled with alcohol recently and thought I'd post here to find support. My biggest problem is drinking in the middle of the week when I still have to go to work early in the morning. I started a detox program about 2 weeks ago and it ended this past Sunday and I learned so much about being myself during this time period and I'm making some changes in my life as it relates to alcohol. I'm sure cutting it out for the most part can make me healthier and crush my workouts even more. Thanks for reading.

Jason
  • fiddletime
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Most of us on here seem to have tried moderation and counting drinks. For myself I just suck at moderation. Once I got through my first alcohol free week everything became much easier.

The first week is tough and the first few social events are tough. Once you choose water or soda or whatever over alcohol the stress of counting drinks, worrying about it, and worrying about the calories in the drinks (seldom just one drink) and the subsequent food that gets eaten, disappear.

This is Sober September, not Sober Life. Give it a try for two weeks and see how it can change your life. You can do this!!
  • MyWhole30Journey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Day 48 :) YOU ALL CAN DO THIS!!! I drank between 1 and 2 bottles of wine nightly for 30+ years. It had to end.
  • shrcpr
    Options
    ready4_50 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. A friend referred me here. I have actually struggled with alcohol recently and thought I'd post here to find support. My biggest problem is drinking in the middle of the week when I still have to go to work early in the morning. I started a detox program about 2 weeks ago and it ended this past Sunday and I learned so much about being myself during this time period and I'm making some changes in my life as it relates to alcohol. I'm sure cutting it out for the most part can make me healthier and crush my workouts even more. Thanks for reading.

Jason

The whole reason I'm overweight is because I was drinking so much. I'm giving this a try and it's been great waking up with a clear head. And, not feeling like all my other efforts (eating well, working out) are wasted.

fiddletime wrote: »
    Most of us on here seem to have tried moderation and counting drinks. For myself I just suck at moderation. Once I got through my first alcohol free week everything became much easier.

The first week is tough and the first few social events are tough. Once you choose water or soda or whatever over alcohol the stress of counting drinks, worrying about it, and worrying about the calories in the drinks (seldom just one drink) and the subsequent food that gets eaten, disappear.

This is Sober September, not Sober Life. Give it a try for two weeks and see how it can change your life. You can do this!!

Totally agree! I suck at moderation when it comes to drinking. This month so far has been really good. I haven't faced any social situations yet, though, so I'm a bit scared about that. I am extremely introverted and being around people for any length of time is really hard.

Anyway, day 20 without alcohol for me. :smiley:
  • dogcatac
    Options
    soda makes me feel like garbage. try kombucha or kvass!
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Enjoying some sparkling water this evening, and I hope everyone is psyched to have a great weekend.
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Made it through another social event without wine. Was pretty easy this time! 27 days AF so far.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    @fiddletime congrats - I know how hard that is!! However, it can be fun to be the sober one in the room and watch everyone else "act a fool" lol
    I am frustrated because my weight loss has slowed down. I am going to try to stop the ice cream at night which has crept its way into my life since I went af.... It's always something! haha!
  • MyWhole30Journey
    Options
    Day 50 AF -- Spent a beautiful day on the beach yesterday. Great weather, nearly 90 degrees. Won't have many more days like that this year so I'm trying to enjoy them while I can. Today is a busy day for me though, loading the barn with hay for the winter! Usually after a long hard day I like to unwind with some wine but not today, sparkling water it is :)