Are Americans Weaned on Peanut Butter?

Options

Replies

• hayleymoran217
    hayleymoran217 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter makes me want to be sick. Even the smell makes me nauseous.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for all Americans, but I was and my children were. When I had small children at home our local grocery used to sell peanut butter in reuseable buckets (small buckets like children would use for playing in the sand). We had a lot of those buckets.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter, but don't love it. A peanut butter sandwich with strawberry jelly on white bread is totally a comfort food for me though, or a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Neither of my kids like peanut butter at all. They'll even spit out peanut butter candy (Reece's etc.) or ice cream. Crazy children. Of could that means I know what to get if I don't want to share.
    Here in the American South peanuts grow beautifully. They are plentiful and cheap. Peanut butter needs no refrigeration so that appeals to mom's making lunch. This being harvest time, peanuts and pumpkins are everywhere. Even better than peanut butter, boiled peanuts fresh from the ground. Yum.

Love boiled peanuts! I find them a bit similar in taste to the steamed edmame you get in sushi places. Really different from peanut butter.
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sandwiches were a staple lunch food when I was growing up. It's cheap and yummy.
    At nearly 40- peanut butter gives me heartburn. I just can't handle it anymore.
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Canada and the States, but don't really care for peanut butter, nor understand all the love for reese's pieces ;-/

Boiled peanuts, on the other hand! <3
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    U.S. could be the only country that considers Peanut Butter as a "protein" vs a "fat." Most other countries look at Peanut Butter as a "fat."

That's not going to stop me from eating my homemade peanut butter cookies <3

I don't think most Americans think of pb or other foods in terms of macros, other than things like oil and butter.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Peanut butter is mentioned in lots of threads and I am wondering why people in US especially love it so much.

I tried it once years ago and it made me gag. I didn't like the taste or the texture and haven't touched it since.

Weaned on peanut butter? Are you serious? I just burst into tears reading that title.....

I'm kidding. :D I LOVE peanut butter because it's so good. That's the only explanation I have. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dh and I grew up eating peanut butter. My dd has grown up eating peanut butter.
    We don't eat it every day but it is an inexpensive, accessible, versatile shelf-stable food. We usually have more than one jar in our house because running out of peanut butter would be bad.

If you don't like peanut butter that is okay. Start talking about the foods you do like.

I'm going to have a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast now.

• jmmccotter
    jmmccotter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    "Funny" thing ... I'm a long distance cyclist, and I have done cycling events in various parts of the world where food is provided. Quite commonly on these events, in places like Canada, Australia, and Europe we're served things like pasta, mashed potatoes topped with cheese, chicken fried rice, perogies, eggs and chips, thick soups, and things like that. Not peanut butter sandwiches. Or if that is an option, it is served up as bread with a number of possible toppings including peanut butter. (Here in Australia, Vegemite will be among the 'number of possible toppings'. :grin: )

And yet I did one event in the US where the ONLY things they had on offer at one of the rest stops was pre-made peanut butter and jam sandwiches, and a small quantity of apple slices. I asked if I could make my own sandwich with just the bread and jam ... but they told me two things: 1) They had used up all the bread, peanut butter and jam making those sandwiches just for us; and 2) All cyclists like peanut butter.

"Not when they have an intolerance that results in agonising bloating and digestive issues", I said. That possibility had never occurred to them at all. And the possibility that peanut butter would be the only thing on offer had never occurred to me.

To their dismay, I ended eating almost all their apple slices (there weren't many) ... and to my dismay, I had to go find something to eat elsewhere at a time of day when practically nothing was open.

What I find even more shocking than them not realising not everyone can tolerate peanuts, is the thought that everyone likes peanut butter and jam. I doubt it is something anyone non-American thinks it is reasonable to combine these things.

For real though...it blows my mind that people in this world don't like peanut butter.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    My theory is that Americans had peanut butter because they didn't have Marmite/Bovril!

and thank goodness for that
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    jmmccotter wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    "Funny" thing ... I'm a long distance cyclist, and I have done cycling events in various parts of the world where food is provided. Quite commonly on these events, in places like Canada, Australia, and Europe we're served things like pasta, mashed potatoes topped with cheese, chicken fried rice, perogies, eggs and chips, thick soups, and things like that. Not peanut butter sandwiches. Or if that is an option, it is served up as bread with a number of possible toppings including peanut butter. (Here in Australia, Vegemite will be among the 'number of possible toppings'. :grin: )

And yet I did one event in the US where the ONLY things they had on offer at one of the rest stops was pre-made peanut butter and jam sandwiches, and a small quantity of apple slices. I asked if I could make my own sandwich with just the bread and jam ... but they told me two things: 1) They had used up all the bread, peanut butter and jam making those sandwiches just for us; and 2) All cyclists like peanut butter.

"Not when they have an intolerance that results in agonising bloating and digestive issues", I said. That possibility had never occurred to them at all. And the possibility that peanut butter would be the only thing on offer had never occurred to me.

To their dismay, I ended eating almost all their apple slices (there weren't many) ... and to my dismay, I had to go find something to eat elsewhere at a time of day when practically nothing was open.

What I find even more shocking than them not realising not everyone can tolerate peanuts, is the thought that everyone likes peanut butter and jam. I doubt it is something anyone non-American thinks it is reasonable to combine these things.

For real though...it blows my mind that people in this world don't like peanut butter.

It's so gross tbh :/
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have to confess [wait for it] that until about 5 years ago I thought peanuts were real nuts [not legumes] and grew on trees like other nuts...runs and tries to hide :*
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I too am confused when different people like different things.

Ha, I think I love you. The need of a like button is going on about a year now...
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    As an "American" I was never raised eating peanut butter. It does however have quite a bit of protein and it is nutritious in moderation. I do remember having it with celery as a child.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I have to confess [wait for it] that until about 5 years ago I thought peanuts were real nuts [not legumes] and grew on trees like other nuts...runs and tries to hide :*

That's not uncommon, I think. I mean they look and taste like nuts, and they are called peanuts. Hazelnuts technically grow on bushes and I think they are a true nut, though honestly I'm not positive about that.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I like peanut butter but Nutella is where it's at. I lived in Germany until I was 6 and Nutella was something we always had. Moved to the US and we could find it on the military post but not anywhere else. Now it's everywhere.

We eat sunbutter and peanut butter in our house. My older son has a severe cross bite that can't be fixed until he is about 8 or 9 (he is 6) and meats are difficult for him to chew. Peanut butter helps me to get a bit more protein into him. My husband and I eat it every Friday for lunch during Lent as we aren't really seafood lovers.

I consider peanut butter to be a protein and a fat--it's a relatively good source for both, which makes it a great food for young kiddos who have restricted diets.

I will admit, I'm not peanut butter crazy. It's good and I think it's the best on apples but I can go without it for several months at a clip and not miss it. My mom is a peanut butter freak. I don't like it enough to eat it as a dessert. If I'm having dessert I want rich dark chocolate--and preferably from Europe.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I just realized peas were legumes (since I finally actually looked up what the definition of a legume was)...
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I just realized peas were legumes (since I finally actually looked up what the definition of a legume was)...

Lupins are legumes as well - lovely flowers but deadly poisonous if eaten. Bit of random info lol