Do I NEED to lose weight?

Options
neeks325
neeks325 Posts: 9 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
i recently put on a few pounds and while I'm certainly not fat, I have a little beer belly now and I'm not toned and cut like I was 2 years ago.
Anyway, my girl has been telling me I put on weight and need to lose it because it's unhealthy. And well, because she thought I'll Look better without the spare tire. And while she is just looking out for me, I don't think it's a big deal.
Since I met her a little over 2 years ago, I've gained probably 18 lbs and I'm now 5'10", 182 lb. with a 40-41 in. waist circumference. Not pants size, but actual waist circumference. My pants size is 33. I've kind of stopped gaining weight like I was before. Is it a big deal? Do I need to lose it?

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Only you can say whether you need (WANT) to lose weight. Don't let someone else pressure you into it. You have a BMI that is barely into the overweight category (26) and regarding your waist, mine is 34" and I'm 4'11" and 165-166lbs with a BMI of 34. You possibly are carrying quite a bit of fat in your midsection.

Have you considered a recomp?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What do YOU think? Are you happy with yourself the way you are? If you see no need to change you won't, not if you're 5 lbs overweight or 50, or more. This is about you and what you want. Come back when you know. B)
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that there are negative ramifications of a larger waist size and yours is borderline.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-definition/abdominal-obesity/
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'd say only your doctor can answer that authoritatively. You can try this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=risks+of+abdominal+fat

to decide if you should see your doctor.

OTOH, there's no harm keeping your significant other happy. "Happy Wife, Happy Life" probably applies even more to unmarried individuals...

Osric
  • neeks325
    neeks325 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Only you can say whether you need (WANT) to lose weight. Don't let someone else pressure you into it. You have a BMI that is barely into the overweight category (26) and regarding your waist, mine is 34" and I'm 4'11" and 165-166lbs with a BMI of 34. You possibly are carrying quite a bit of fat in your midsection.

Have you considered a recomp?
    What exactly is a recomp?
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    "Hey girl, random internet strangers don't care that I've gained weight, and their opinion holds a lot more weight with me than that of you, the person who knows me and presumably loves me. ".
  • OsricTheKnight
    Options
    neeks325 wrote: »
    What exactly is a recomp?

Body recomposition is working out (typically with weights) to gain more lean mass and lose fat. You could be the weight you are now, with less body fat, and probably be slim and trim.

However it doesn't seem like much of a suggestion for you, since losing weight is easy while gaining muscle is comparatively hard, and you seem to be hoping to minimize your effort!

Osric
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is above the healthy range, and your waist circumference is slightly higher than the guideline. I realize BMI doesn't always apply to muscular men, but the fact that your waist circumference is also over the healthy limit indicates you are not lean enough to be an exception to the BMI standard. For optimum health, you probably need to lose a few pounds (though your doctor would be the one to know for sure)
  • CharleneMarie_723
    Options
    I would say yes. But I know when I need to take off a few pounds. I do it for myself and for my other half.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Unintentionally gaining 10 pounds a year is cause for concern, both medically and aesthetically. Think where you'd be in a decade, bro.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    neeks325 wrote: »
    Do I need to lose it?

Track your calories and exercise for a week and try not to change anything about your lifestyle. If you find a calorie surplus, even a modest one, then you are likely headed for that slow creep of pounds and inches year after year. How much many pounds and inches are you willing to tolerate before you do care?

On the other hand, you might find that you are eating fewer calories than you burn, but that's pretty unlikely for most otherwise healthy people to do naturally over the course of a week. Or, you might find that despite your recent weight gain, you just naturally settled into a perfect balance of calories consumed versus burned.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    How hot is your girlfriend? Do you make a lot of money?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This is something only you and your doctor can decide.

I'm sure your girlfriend just wants you to be healthy and doesn't care about the beer belly. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Unintentionally gaining 10 pounds a year is cause for concern, both medically and aesthetically. Think where you'd be in a decade, bro.

That's 100 extra calories a day. Not really hard to do, honestly.

But OP, yeah, I'd try to lose a little, especially as belly fat is the most unhealthy kind of fat.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    My husband weighs 75 more pounds than you, is 2 inches shorter, and has the same waist size. Are you sure you measured right?
  • OsricTheKnight
    Options
    RobynLB83 wrote: »

:-D +1
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    RobynLB83 wrote: »

Lmfaooooooo...

• OsricTheKnight
    edited September 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Love it! :-) Thanks for looking this up.

So the OP is either a troll, an idiot, or hoping that if he keeps rolling the dice he'll get supportive posts that he can show to his girlfriend. But we have to imagine that once you're 0 for 4 you'd try a different website.

Osric
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    My ex husband is 5'10" so I remembered the OP ;)