Does the fat content in food make you fat?

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    polenate wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No.

That's not how it works.

Fat content in food does not correlate to body fat UNLESS you are eating too many total calories.

All macronutrients have calories (energy).

Carbohydrates = 4 calories per gram
    Protein = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram

Overeating on TOTAL calories is what causes weight gain. Eating less TOTAL calories causes weight loss.

There's only 4 calories in carbohydrates?! So if I was excercising, it's okay to have that bag of crisps as long as I'm creating a calorie deficit while I do it?
    It is 4 calories per GRAM of carbohydrates. A bag of crisps where the crisps weighs 100 grams will generally have 50 grams of carbohydrates.
    So long as you're using more calories per day than you're eating per day, you'll lose weight. You won't necessarily be healthy doing so though.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    hunnnybee wrote: »
    I am proof that it is not calories. I am almost alawys under my calorie count and not losing weight. I find that I can eat high fat and lose weight as long as I do not eat carbs for it to switch to burning instead. If I eat high fat and high carb I get extra tubby fast; so n BLT's :-(
    It is calories. Start a thread and you'll receive help.

OP, no, the fat content does not make you fat. Under eating, will however make you sick. You're a male, why are you doing this? The minimum you should be consuming is 1500 calories.

From the OP's profile:

Why I want to get in shape
    Although my friends always tell me that I don't need to lose weight, and that I'm slim enough already (At the moment I'm 9st 13lbs and 5'11 with a BMI of 19.3) I just can't shake the feeling of feeling slightly tubby. It's mainly a confidence boosting thing, if I'm smaller, I feel more confident and ready to take on the world. As a performing artist, in the art of drag, I need to stay slender and trim.
  • polenate
    polenate Posts: 19 Member
    Are the calories in the carbohydrates, fat etc. included in the total calories on the back of the packet? Or do I have to add those in separately?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    It's calories. Fat has more calories (9) per gram than carbs or protein (4 ea) but it's still all about the calories.

Fat is a necessary nutrient. Your body can't function properly without it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Are the calories in the carbohydrates, fat etc. included in the total calories on the back of the packet? Or do I have to add those in separately?

You don't have to count the calories in the carbohydrates and fat separately. They're included in the total calories.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    9st would give you an underweight BMI of 17.5. You should probably reasses your goals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    So the fact I've eaten 1072 calories and my BMR alone is 1644 means I will be losing weight right now even though Ive had the crisps? Should I add the calories that are in the carbohydrates, fat etc. to that total of 1072 is the calories in the carbs, fat etc. included on the back of the packet?

You mean you've eaten 1072 calories just today and will eat the rest of your calories in dinner?

To lose weight, you eat below your TDEE, not your BMR
    Just stay within your calorie goals and you will lose weight, but don't eat too low because you wan to make sure your body is properly fueled.
  • polenate

You don't have to count the calories in the carbohydrates and fat separately. They're included in the total calories.

Really? So the 130 calories in a 25g of crisps will include the calories that are in the carbohydrates and fat?
  • rainbowbow

They are included.

You could do the math yourself and it should add up to the total calories.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I am proof that it is not calories. I am almost alawys under my calorie count and not losing weight. I find that I can eat high fat and lose weight as long as I do not eat carbs for it to switch to burning instead. If I eat high fat and high carb I get extra tubby fast; so n BLT's :-(

OP, no, the fat content does not make you fat. Under eating, will however make you sick. You're a male, why are you doing this? The minimum you should be consuming is 1500 calories.

From the OP's profile:

Although my friends always tell me that I don't need to lose weight, and that I'm slim enough already (At the moment I'm 9st 13lbs and 5'11 with a BMI of 19.3) I just can't shake the feeling of feeling slightly tubby. It's mainly a confidence boosting thing, if I'm smaller, I feel more confident and ready to take on the world. As a performing artist, in the art of drag, I need to stay slender and trim.
    Well, looking at that, losing 13 lb like the goal meter says will put him at a BMI of 17.6, which is underweight. That's not good.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    OP.

You are eating far too little to sufficiently provide the essential nutrition your body needs.

You are aiming for an unhealthy BMI that puts you in the underweight category (17.5). A BMI of 18.5 - 25 is considered healthy for a male of 5ft11.

Your profile screams disordered body image.

Seek help.
  • polenate
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    So the fact I've eaten 1072 calories and my BMR alone is 1644 means I will be losing weight right now even though Ive had the crisps? Should I add the calories that are in the carbohydrates, fat etc. to that total of 1072 is the calories in the carbs, fat etc. included on the back of the packet?

You mean you've eaten 1072 calories just today and will eat the rest of your calories in dinner?

Just stay within your calorie goals and you will lose weight, but don't eat too low because you wan to make sure your body is properly fueled.

I've eaten 1072 calories including dinner. It's 9pm at night here.
  • rainbowbow
    senecarr wrote: »

From the OP's profile:

Well, looking at that, losing 13 lb like the goal meter says will put him at a BMI of 17.6, which is underweight. That's not good.

Not good?

That is actually in the medical class of "anorexic".
  • SLLRunner

Really? So the 130 calories in a 25g of crisps will include the calories that are in the carbohydrates and fat?

I'm not following where you are going. 130 calories is 130 calorie no matter where it comes from, so whatever macros are in your food make up the calorie count. No matter what you eat, you will lose weigth if you stay within your calorie goals.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

I was curious about this, so I looked at your diary for the past 2 weeks. You are always under 1200 cals a day. This is not healthy, or you are not logging everything you eat. Alot you are missing entries, so think it must be the latter. If you say you are not losing, it's incorrect logging. Best. B)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Yes -- the calories in food come from either carbohydrate, fat, or protein. The calories in these three components will make up the total calories for a food. The total calories are what you need to pay attention to for weight loss (or gain). If you have specific macronutrient goals (many of us try to hit certain ranges for carbs, fat, and protein), the label will also tell you how much of a macronutrient is in a food. But you can go over a goal for a macronutrient like fat (or carbs) and still lose weight if you are in a deficit.
  • polenate
    My friends always say that I need to seek medical attention, and that I have body dysmorphic disorder. But I seriously see something huge when I look in the mirror... I fail to see what could fix that other than losing weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I've eaten 1072 calories including dinner. It's 9pm at night here.

You seem to be obsessing over a bag of chips, and you are eating an unhealhty amount of food, signaling disordred eating. You need to seek profesisonal help for this. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    My friends always say that I need to seek medical attention, and that I have body dysmorphic disorder. But I seriously see something huge when I look in the mirror... I fail to see what could fix that other than losing weight.

Losing more weight is not going to fix your body image. You need professional help.