1500 calories- did you lose eating this many?

Options

Replies

• OheyitsJessie
    OheyitsJessie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1450 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week with light activity.

I work out 6 times a week, mostly just treadmill for 30 minutes at an incline of about 5 percent, so all in all I end up eating over 1600 with the calories I burn (:

So far it's worked for me, I've lost from 238 to 206 since June!
  • BritBoogaloo
    BritBoogaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

(31, female, SW:248)

I'm only on my 5th day here on MFP,
    and I wanted to know if any of you have lost weight eating 1500 calories?

What was your starting weight? How much have you lost? Did you have to exercise a lot?

MFP put me at 1200 calories for 2lbs a week loss, but it's too low, don't think I can do this long-term... I was hoping to increase to 1500, but wanted to hear back from you with advise/success stories....

Thank you!

Yes. Yes, yes, yes, a THOUSAND TIMES YES.

I'm 31 years old, 5'9 and my starting weight was 96.1 kg (212 lbs).

I've been eating 1700 cals a day for the last 5 months and as of today, I've lost 17.4 kg (38lbs). I now weigh 78.4kg (173 lbs).

Yes I've been exercising (3 days cardio, 3 days weights) but food is the key thing here.

Listen to your body. If it's telling you it's hungry all the time, you probably need to up your calories. I don't know how tall you are but given you weigh 248 or thereabouts, 1200 is probably WAAAY too low.

It's much better to lose at a reasonable calorie deficit rather than to create too large a deficit and succumb to binges and sugar cravings and not maintain consistency because you're hungry all the time!

I'd plug into MFP that you want to lose 0.5- 1lb a week. It's slower, but you'll get far better results. Trust me.

Good luck!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    Hello all,

(31, female, SW:248)

I'm only on my 5th day here on MFP,
    and I wanted to know if any of you have lost weight eating 1500 calories?

What was your starting weight? How much have you lost? Did you have to exercise a lot?

MFP put me at 1200 calories for 2lbs a week loss, but it's too low, don't think I can do this long-term... I was hoping to increase to 1500, but wanted to hear back from you with advise/success stories....

Thank you!
    and your sw is 248.. you could eat more than 1500 and still lose weight at a good rate..!
    my sw was 152 lbs and i was losing 4 lbs permonth eating 1650 calories or a little over sometimes
    iam now 120 lbs and still eating the same amount and losing about 2.5-3.0 lbs permonth if i exercise more
    i defenately lose some additional oz..haha
    i had to find another way to lose weight besides eating 1200 calories as well.. it's so little food
    and + i needed the extra 300 to spend on drinks every now and then^^_

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    @thebobo6740 If you are doing things right then it's not water weight. Especially after 3 weeks. Try taking your measurements (inches). Some areas will shrink faster than others off course.
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    Today was my 4th week weigh-in and I have lost a total of 4.5lbs... Not the 6lb I should have lost... But it's ok no?

I ate way over my 1570 calories set by MFP to lose 1.5lbs, so I'm thinking of increasing my calories to 1650 for this 2nd month and see what happens.

I read everyone's posts and it seems like a few people suggest I could eat over 1570 to lose a good amount of weight. (Ate exercise calories back, but maybe I'll only eat 50% of them since I am going by what MFP gives me for calories burned)

So I increased my calories to 1650 and I'll see how it goes with that. Has anyone lost eating around 1700?

Thanks again!
    M.E.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I did 1500 for awhile. I definitely lost weight, but in the end increased my calories because it was something I'd determined rather than what was healthy for me. I'm still losing but at a slower rate. With snacks. Lmao

Oh, stats: sw: 404 cw: 288, 5'6"
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP - I love when people ask a question, are receptive to the advice, take the advice, and come back and provide updates confirming that the advice worked! It is very motivating all the way around!

I don't know if you are still interested in the anecdotal info from others but my answer to your original question:

I'm 5'2
    SW - 153
    CW - 123 (maintaining)

I lost about 1 lb/week set at 1500 NET cals, and after I lost about 15 lbs I changed to 1650 NET and continued to lose slowly for about 5 more months until I reached my original goal of 125.

I use a FitBit, which estimates my TDEE at ~2100. I eat around 2000 or more to maintain my current weight, within about a 4 lb range.

• _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and 237 pounds. I'm eating a 1500 calorie a day diet. When I started, I was 251 pounds if that answers your question.
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    @WinoGelato thank you! I appreciate comment very much. Yes I'm still interested in reading about people's experiences, that is the reason why I turn to these forums ☺️. Most of you have many more months on this journey than I, so yes I listen to all the solid advice I get.

I'm going to try eating at 1650 Net for a week/two and see if I can lose around the same amount of weight than 1570. ( refresher: I am 31 female, 5'7, and now weight 243.5lbs). I see you are half my size and eat net 1500, so I think I can eat a little more no?

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I didn't really understand how to use MFP when I was losing weight so I didn't eat back exercise calories on purpose. I, however, was unable to stick to the 1300-1500 calories it gave me as a goal, so I was almost always over, and probably more than I thought as I never weighed anything. I lost all the weight I wanted. Hit a few plateaus, but obviously that was just my imprecision. As for exercise, I started off with just 15 min of cardio 3x/week and 3 30-min weight sessions 3x per week. As I got fitter, that all increased. I would say that I was very skinny-fat when I initially got done, but am remedying that. It is a loooong process, however.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I never lasted more than a week on 1200. I did still lose at 1500, though I've had to drop below that as I get closer to my GW.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato thank you! I appreciate comment very much. Yes I'm still interested in reading about people's experiences, that is the reason why I turn to these forums ☺️. Most of you have many more months on this journey than I, so yes I listen to all the solid advice I get.

I'm going to try eating at 1650 Net for a week/two and see if I can lose around the same amount of weight than 1570. ( refresher: I am 31 female, 5'7, and now weight 243.5lbs). I see you are half my size and eat net 1500, so I think I can eat a little more no?

I would certainly think so but I am a big fan of making small changes, one at a time, waiting to see what results you get, and being patient enough to make sure to ride out any external influences (water weight, TOM, etc).

Good luck!

• thebobogrind
    Options
    @WinoGelato yeah I was wondering about TOM- I can feel getting puffy as per usual and I was wondering how much 'scale weight' one usually gains on TOM... And how long that spike lasts?

From last Tuesday to this Tuesday I only lost .1 of a kilo (when the previous 3 weeks I was losing more than 1.3 lbs a week)... So basically I didn't lose any weight this last 4th week. I'm thinking it could be do to bloating? Even my face looks puffy compared to the slimmer face I had last week. I guess I never really noticed how much of a change there is....

Feedback?

Thank you!
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1500 calories work but I felt hungry all the time. I am currently using Bodymedia with MyFitnesspal now so I know exactly how many calories I am burning all the time. I feel much better this way because I aim for a 1000 calorie deficit daily instead of just trying to eat 1500 calories a day. My typical day of burning calories is between 3500-4000. So I'll eat 2500-3000 calories as healthy as I can and I am seeing the same or better results than just focusing on eatng 1500 calories. Better meaning, I no longer go hungry in between and I don't get fatigued (or fatigue is much, much less due to having more energy).

Either way, 1500 calories work.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My scale goes nuts when it's TOM. I don't even bother doing a weigh-in around that time. What does help me a lot is going mostly salt free and eating a lot of melons.
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    @krithsai melons? Interesting!

Weird I weighed-inn today just for fun, and lost another pound, probably all the water (and bathroom runs) I gulped down yesterday
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Melons cause frequent urination, so that's on my list when I feel like I'm retaining water.

Good job on the loss! If at all possible, get your hands on a fat loss monitor and check it once a month or so to get a true picture. Water weight, especially for us women, is such a finicky little bugger.
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    So today was my 5th week weigh-inn, and lost 5.2lbs total so far (I have increased my calories to 1650 last week or the week before, from the original posts' 1500)..

I'm experiencing get mixed feelings about my progress so far... It's not bad... But I've read other people have lost 10, some 15 pounds?

:(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    So today was my 5th week weigh-inn, and lost 5.2lbs total so far (I have increased my calories to 1650 last week or the week before, from the original posts' 1500)..

I'm experiencing get mixed feelings about my progress so far... It's not bad... But I've read other people have lost 10, some 15 pounds?

:(

You lost a pound per week. I can't do that anymore but man that would be awesome. Congrats to you.
  • kar_yne08
    kar_yne08 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't loose much on 1500 calories. In 5 weeks I lost approximately 2 lbs working out 3-4 days weekly and weighing everything. This is my first week at 1200 calories and so far so good, we'll see what the results are after a few weeks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!