how do you deal with failure days?

Options

Replies

• youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    No such thing as a failure day and viewing less than nutritional sound days as failures is setting yourself up for failure. Use it as a day to learn something about yourself and why you make your choices. Call it a re-feed day (if you need to) and move on to tomorrow.
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary from Friday as I had a day where I just didn't stop eating. My grand total hit I think 3,700 calories. Why? I really don't know. I was at work and I just pigged out. I logged it, I'm not thrilled about it, obviously, but it happened and my goal for the rest of the week is to step it up and try not to gain.
    I think the mindset of "Whatever, I already screwed up" is a slippery slope and you shouldn't go down that rabbit hole. Just accept it, move on and try to get back on track the rest of the week.
  • vilmaes
    vilmaes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 years old and after a lifelong battle with obesity, I'm finally succeeding. So far I've lost 115 lbs. My biggest failure in life was my weight. I could do anything I set my mind to, except lose the weight. In December 2012, I started a weight loss journey that I had no expectations would be successful. After all, I had more than 30 years of historical proof that I was a failure when it came to my weight. The biggest change I made was re-wiring my brain. You have to realize you're human and will never be perfect. The key is to get back on track and never give up. Many people who knew me as a 300-lb. woman flock to me these days wanting to know how I did it and many have insisted that I create a blog about my journey. If you're interested, here it is: http://blossomingvilma.blogspot.com/ Maybe something I learned along the way can help you learn how to deal with setbacks, binging, and not being perfect.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have 'failure days' but I don't refer to them as failure days - I call them "I'M A HUMAN BEING, LEAVE ME ALONE!" days ;)! Truly, these are very rare for me because I like to fit every thing in to my calorie allowance. But I do have special occasions and events which means I can go WELL over the top - and we are talking more than a couple of hundred. I LOVE food and I can really put it away! :D No, this isn't the same as binge eating - I don't do that.

Generally, I totally let these days go. Like I said, I don't make a habit of these days so to me, it's just a one-off. I'm not going to do this every week, so I really don't see the problem in going all-out. I'm hugely motivated so I guess 'getting back on track' is never going to be a problem for me so I don't see these 'blow outs' as a bad thing at all. Of course, not everyone is able to get back into it the following day so it really depends on how adaptable you are as a person.

If I have a 'major blow out' day, I just carry on as normal the day after, it isn't difficult for me to do that. I enjoy the day while it lasts but I also understand that this isn't something ANYONE should be doing regularly. I guess my relationship with food is a lot better than it used to be so I try not to feel guilty and I just let it go. It's not going to ruin my success.

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You call going over your daily calorie limit a failure? Why??? You've had a bad (eating) day, cut back over the next few days if you can. All (or most of us) on here want to lose weight, but it takes time, and there's a learning curve as to what helps and what doesn't - but you need to learn to take the good days, and the bad, it's a lifestyle, not a fad diet.

If you're eating for emotional reasons then work on figuring out your triggers and finding ways to stop the urges.

Be nice to yourself, you are allowed a blow out occasionally, put it into perspective, once a month will not do any damage, you're doing more damage by thinking you've failed than any over eating has done.

It depends on my mood whether I log the specifics, or just throw in an extra couple of thousand calories, just so when I look back at my diary I can see all the extra calories - ignoring the diary is not helpful.

Feel free to message me if you need to rant.
  • BakerAcer
    BakerAcer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I plan to have those really bad days. For example, last week we closed the bar where I work and had a day of team building...I.e. Excessive eating and tons of drinking. I usually track as I go, but just logged everything at the end of the day. It was two days worth of calories. I honestly wasn't that upset. A few months ago I ate and drank like that a couple days a week. It might slow me down by half a pound loss for the week, but at least I'm not still gaining weight like I was a few months ago. I like to think that this is a process...it's going to take a long time and I'm learning to be better. If I do poorly one day, I try again the next. I don't try to go way under the next day because I know I'll just binge after being starving. I may workout a bit more and not eat my exercise calories for a
    Couple days, but being mentally hard on myself is probably worse than the actual eating, so I try not to do that. I sort of revel in having a fat girl day, remember it makes me feel physically *kitten*, and get back to the new normal.
  • tsroberts5
    tsroberts5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Forgive myself and move on...a lot of times a bad day resets my focus. Just don't let it turn into a bad week..etc. we are all human and I love chocolate lol!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    This isn't targeted towards people who never mess up, or about days where you go 100 cal over your goal. But like, big mess-ups. How do you accept it and move on, or account for it so that you stop beating yourself over the head with how much of a failure of a person you are?

Wow.

First of all, it's a good thing you aren't targeting your post towards people who never mess up, because those people do not exist. I don't believe there is one person using this site who has never had a day where they ate too much, went waaaaaay over their calorie goal, or totally threw away--even for one day--everything they've learned about how to eat to lose weight. Anyone who says "I have been 100% perfect since day one" is fooling themselves.

Second: when you do have a day like that, do you really think that you're a "failure of a person"? As in, you're a horrible person with nothing going for you because you overate? That's really harsh, and suggests that you place an unhealthy importance on food and what and how you eat.

I have days where I overeat (a lot) where my logging is sloppy, where I just say "who cares?!" and throw everything out the window. But my weight loss process is just one facet of who I am, and I never for one minute thought that I was a "failure of a person" because I ate too much.

I would suggest that you find someone to talk to about your relationship with food and how it seems to dominate your sense of self-worth.

Unless I'm totally reading too much into your post, in which case, nevermind.

• amkegs
    amkegs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You realize that in the long run, one day is not going to make much difference in your weight loss goals. You just pick up where you left off the next day, and don't worry about it.

It says nothing about your moral character to go over your calories for one day, and the overall impact is going to be negligible. There is absolutely no reason to beat yourself up and dwell on a bad day.

Try not assigning any moral value to your eating habits. It's just food!

I love this, Alyssa!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I can't encourage you enough to seek out a counselor or MH professional to help you with this. The idea that overeating makes you think that you are a failure as a person is something that should be confronted in a supportive, therapeutic setting. I have a long and varied history with binging and counseling was a necessary piece of returning to health.

The other advice is to not beat yourself, but don't forget it either. Learn from it. Look at what happened and why...in hopes of being able to do something different next time. That can help you feel less hopeless and less like a failure because you are using that instance to inform you to make better choices in the future.

Another vote for therapy.

For additional help with negative self talk, check out this movie, which is available in my library system so maybe yours as well:
    You Can Heal Your Life, the movie, expanded version
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    vilmaes wrote: »
    I'm 54 years old and after a lifelong battle with obesity, I'm finally succeeding. So far I've lost 115 lbs. My biggest failure in life was my weight. I could do anything I set my mind to, except lose the weight. In December 2012, I started a weight loss journey that I had no expectations would be successful. After all, I had more than 30 years of historical proof that I was a failure when it came to my weight. The biggest change I made was re-wiring my brain. You have to realize you're human and will never be perfect. The key is to get back on track and never give up. Many people who knew me as a 300-lb. woman flock to me these days wanting to know how I did it and many have insisted that I create a blog about my journey. If you're interested, here it is: http://blossomingvilma.blogspot.com/ Maybe something I learned along the way can help you learn how to deal with setbacks, binging, and not being perfect.

Very inspiring. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think it's less of a failure and more of a setback. It's part of the process, IMO. Everyone who accomplishes something big is going to have had setbacks and rough days or periods.

So, after the setback, just go back to losing. That's all.

Don't make it a bigger deal than it is, KWIM?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I would suggest removing the language of calling it a failure day. It seems like adding too much judgement and moralization to eating.
    If you intended to go the beach one day, and ended up not going, you don't call it a failure day because you didn't go to the beach like you wanted, do you? Why be any harsher about how you ate?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't deal with it, I just carry on with my plan. Going off plan now and then is not a failure, it's just the way life is. Failure would be not getting back to plan after.
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I had a day like that yesterday, and I know repeatedly thinking "wow there is so much wrong with you, you're a failure you deserve nothing good" etc. is not something that's going to help. It will make me want to eat. Do you have ways of dealing with this?

You can deal with this unhelpful negative thinking by mindfully, calmly, pay attention to it as it is happening, and (1) argue with every single sentence that puts you down by refuting it with how much you have already accomplished, that one day falling off-goal is not catastrophic, that you will do better tomorrow, etc. At first this can be very time-consuming, but after some time of doing it, you will find that you have trained your mind to argue in YOUR favor just as it is currently used to putting you down.

And/or (2) get in the mindset of a scientist and just observe it, this weird little robot that lives in your mind that gets triggered and start talking, talking, talking, saying all these ridiculous things. Where did it learn to say all these things? Who does it think it is? What other kinds of situations make it start talking like this? Become an investigator into your own brain.

Ultimately, a single day is very insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Weight-loss and health is more about persistence and consistency. If you are generally doing healthful things, indulging yourself now and then is perfectly OK
  • tiddolski
    tiddolski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    After having a bad day myself I really needed some of the positive comments on here
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    One of the first things I'd say is...you need to be your own best friend. Your best friend would not tell you that you're a failure. Your BF is the one that supports you thru the tough times and tells you what a great job you've been doing all along and that one day won't change that. Not even one day a week will change that.

I do not allow myself to say things to myself that I wouldn't want someone else to say to me.

This whole thing is a process. You're learning so many things about yourself, your relationship with food, your relationship with others. You're learning what foods satisfy you, which ones don't, which ones may initiate a binge, which ones you really like, which ones you could live without. You're learning how to live your life within the parameters of being conscious of health and fitness. It takes time, patience, and allowing yourself to be human.

Perception is everything. If you call yourself a failure, see your actions as failures, you're setting yourself up to continue those same failures. Changing your personal perception may not be easy, but it is very possible. I did it. A lot of us have done it. You can too, I promise you! Every single time you do well, you meet a goal you've set for yourself, you need to be your loudest cheerleader. Log what you eat. The good, the bad, the ugly. Guesstimate if you have to. You have to be honest with yourself. It helps in ways you don't think of...if you're honest about what's going in your body, it's easier to believe yourself when you congratulate yourself for meeting a goal you set. Loving yourself is something you either start this process with, or you achieve it at some point. I wish you all the best :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Going over from time to time happens to everyone, whether they want to admit it or not. We all have off days, days where we misjudge calories or portions, unexpected dinners out, etc. As long as it's not a frequent occurrence, just log it and start fresh the next day. It doesn't make you a failure and it won't sabotage your progress. It just makes you human.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

I have days where I overeat (a lot) where my logging is sloppy, where I just say "who cares?!" and throw everything out the window. But my weight loss process is just one facet of who I am, and I never for one minute thought that I was a "failure of a person" because I ate too much.

Absolutely. Usually when this happens, too, I'm enjoying life a lot. :) So, it's just an aspect of one day in a string of many, many, many days.

OP, I would echo the advice to not get unnecessarily undone or upset about an "off" day. Getting stuck in any kind of negative emotions -- playing that tape over and over again in your head -- is just not beneficial at all.