Anyone here over 50, eating more than 50% carbohydrates?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    How about people over 100 eating more than 50% carbs? I wonder if there were enough of them to fill a small south eastern island?
    VEGAN+VEGETARIAN+CENTENARIANS+-+Okinawa+Diet+-+PIE+CHART+-+98%25+Vegetarian+-+96%25+Vegan+-+Only+1%25+Pork+-+Scientific+Study.jpg

Interesting, the chart references a study entitled
    The diet of the world's longest-lived people and its potential impact on morbidity and life span
    while the real title is:
    Caloric restriction, the traditional Okinawan diet, and healthy aging: the diet of the world's longest-lived people and its potential impact on morbidity and life span
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17986602
    So who did the chart could manage to omit an important piece of information.
    Here is the whole study:
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/5859391_Caloric_Restriction_the_Traditional_Okinawan_Diet_and_Healthy_Aging_The_Diet_of_the_World's_Longest-Lived_People_and_Its_Potential_Impact_on_Morbidity_and_Life_Span
    I can't quite parse that. Are you asking who was omitted from the study, or what was omitted from the study, or which of those were dropped in titling the graph?

Beyond the genetics of Okinawans, there is evidence that all mammalian aging is partially controlled by mTOR pathways, and that reduced protein consumption, and replacing it with either calorie restriction, or even substitution with carbohydrates appears to involve lowered mTOR activation.
    It is something that actually worries me to an extent - it would seem that for all the health benefits, weight lifting, as one of the drivers of protein synthesis, might actually be burning through cellular life span faster to accomplish the creation of muscle. I'd sure hate it if it turns out that we really do live in a world of the candle that burns hottest burns out fastest.

Language barrier, I suppose. I'm not asking anything.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    How about people over 100 eating more than 50% carbs? I wonder if there were enough of them to fill a small south eastern island?
    VEGAN+VEGETARIAN+CENTENARIANS+-+Okinawa+Diet+-+PIE+CHART+-+98%25+Vegetarian+-+96%25+Vegan+-+Only+1%25+Pork+-+Scientific+Study.jpg

The diet of the world's longest-lived people and its potential impact on morbidity and life span
    while the real title is:
    Caloric restriction, the traditional Okinawan diet, and healthy aging: the diet of the world's longest-lived people and its potential impact on morbidity and life span
    Here is the whole study:
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/5859391_Caloric_Restriction_the_Traditional_Okinawan_Diet_and_Healthy_Aging_The_Diet_of_the_World's_Longest-Lived_People_and_Its_Potential_Impact_on_Morbidity_and_Life_Span
    I can't quite parse that. Are you asking who was omitted from the study, or what was omitted from the study, or which of those were dropped in titling the graph?

Beyond the genetics of Okinawans, there is evidence that all mammalian aging is partially controlled by mTOR pathways, and that reduced protein consumption, and replacing it with either calorie restriction, or even substitution with carbohydrates appears to involve lowered mTOR activation.
    It is something that actually worries me to an extent - it would seem that for all the health benefits, weight lifting, as one of the drivers of protein synthesis, might actually be burning through cellular life span faster to accomplish the creation of muscle. I'd sure hate it if it turns out that we really do live in a world of the candle that burns hottest burns out fastest.

I see now. It got turned into a sentence fragment by capitalizing it. I still fail to see how the study itself looking at calorie restriction removes the fact that the longest live people on this planet do eat a high carbohydrate diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    When I lived on Okinawa, I noted that Okinawans were not overweight and were active. For example:
    - Many of them used bicycles or walked.
    - As I bicycled to work in the AM, I noticed groups of people exercising together - it looked to me like Thai Chi, but was probably an Okinawan version thereof. It seemed like something coworkers were doing together before their work day started.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

while the real title is:
    Here is the whole study:

I see now. It got turned into a sentence fragment by capitalizing it. I still fail to see how the study itself looking at calorie restriction removes the fact that the longest live people on this planet do eat a high carbohydrate diet.

Go for it, I am really neutral on this crazy carb war. But please don't forget to eat sweet potato, maybe that's the real secret for longevity :smile:

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Interesting chart. When one considers WHERE the carbs are coming from, and AREN'T.

When the point of the OP is that carbs are the problem for bad health in older people, then yes, very interesting.

Even just focusing on the US, vegetarians and especially vegans tend to eat higher carb diets and on average (certainly not the case for all, though) have better health results. People who eat lots of highly processed carbs (and lots of sat fat) tend to have worse health results on average. You can get into causation vs. correlation, of course.
  • senecarr
    Options

while the real title is:
    Here is the whole study:

Go for it, I am really neutral on this crazy carb war. But please don't forget to eat sweet potato, maybe that's the real secret for longevity :smile:
    The choice of language doesn't well convey neutrality.
    I'm not sure where I claimed I was planning on trying to use it as a blueprint for my own life. As I already implied, I'm hoping it isn't totally correct - I'd like to live long and increase muscle mass without those goals being antagonistic.
  • senecarr
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I lived on Okinawa, I noted that Okinawans were not overweight and were active. For example:
    - Many of them used bicycles or walked.
    - As I bicycled to work in the AM, I noticed groups of people exercising together - it looked to me like Thai Chi, but was probably an Okinawan version thereof. It seemed like something coworkers were doing together before their work day started.
    Morning calisthenics are rather common across all of Japan. A number of companies start their work day that way. I don't think it burns that many calories though.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_calisthenics
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As I've aged, I've found I have reduced ability to digest proteins. Add the fact that I love me some sweet potatoes and I'm good. Im at a good 50 % carbs, losing on schedule and healthy. My only conundrum is that I really don't want to live to 100. No meatloaf shakes and Matlock for me, thanks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    not 50...turning 41 in a couple of weeks...roughly 50-60% of my diet is carbohydrates. I eat a lot of legumes and lentils, oats, rice, potatoes, veggies, and fruit and I'm very active.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 63, don't particularly like meat, don't eat many beans because they upset my stomach, love carbs and fruit and veggies (some of them). I get enough protein. My weight is low normal, my blood pressure low, all my blood work fine, I run a couple of miles a day, I'm perfectly healthy and I do not plan to stop eating a diet of at least 60% carbs, probably more but I don't bother to count. My mother lived to age 92 and ate boxes and boxes of lemon cookies for years, and when asked about her diet said she was GD old and would eat anything she wanted. Hardly anyone argued with her about that. I do not understand why not eating carbs is associated with wisdom unless they make you ill or you just don't like them. Not everyone values 'health' as the highest good. You're going to die no matter what you eat and all the healthy food in the world will not guarantee when that will happen. Enjoy the lemon cookies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not over fifty, but am sad to report that it won't be many years before I am. I eat a very low-fat, high-carb diet. I do eat some dairy and lean, white meat, but a lot more of my diet is plant-based than isn't. I've lost a significant amount of weight and improved my health quite a little bit. So far, anyway. Knock on wood.

It's working for me.

I do have menopausal issues, though. They seem to come in clusters, too, getting much more frequent and frustrating at times. I'd try to lower the carbs, but I have to stay low-fat and don't really like protein foods, so I'm kind of stuck with the carbs, lol.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm over 50 and eating more than 50% carbs. Seems to be going OK.